2014 overland diesel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 overland diesel

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 12-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
bpbpimajeep14

2014 overland diesel

Just picked up our new overland diesel yesterday and all I can say is wow. I have never been in a jeep since my 88 cherokee and this is in a different league. The new diesel is very peppy I feel and get great mileage so far as compared to a hemi. I had a hemi ram that I traded in and it would barely break 18mpg on the highway even at 60mph.
So far we have a average of 10L/100k or about 24mpg and that was playing around for a while. The interior is almost overwhelming with all the options and buttons. I can't wait to put some miles on it and see how it really is after getting it broke in a bit. Only has 150km on it so far.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

bpbpimajeep14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
Ej132
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Is 24mpg in town or highway? That kinda mileage is amazing
Ej132 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
bpbpimajeep14

Basically all highway. About 120km/hr or 70mph. Everything is awesome except noticed one door has a black trim on it in between the doors that is not on quite right needs a new one or something. But other than that it's amazing the power is so seamless you push the pedal further it pulls harder no need to shift down and rev like a hemi.

Unread 12-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
fun2drive

I am waiting on mine to come in Jan and I am sure it will take a good while to master the Uconnect capability as well as all the other features. Mine is diesel as well and very excited to drive it. Drove one at the dealership a month ago and was hooked...
fun2drive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
bpbpimajeep14

Ya I love the diesel. I also own a 2003 cummins and I am very used to the power it has and driving a gas powered vehicle just seems like they have to rev so much to do the same work. Love the torque.

Unread 12-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
fun2drive

BP...
Do you get any shimmy around 65-70 mph?
Seems those with 20" GY Fortera report it. Seems to be hit of miss.
Unread 12-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
classyjeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive
BP... Do you get any shimmy around 65-70 mph? Seems those with 20" GY Fortera report it. Seems to be hit of miss.
Just picked up our GC overland diesel 4x4 last week.

Also have the 70's shimmy and a slight pull to the right.

But I do love the mpg, 560+ on the first tank!!!!
classyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
onebluemcm
2014 WK 

remind me what they are saying the cause of the shimmy is? I drove ours over 500 miles this week in the 70 mph range nearly the entire time and didn't notice anything real obvious, maybe I need to pay more attention but I'm thinking we may have dodged the shimmy bullet
Unread 12-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #9
mschloss
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Last Wednesday, on a whim really, I traded my 07 corvette convertible for a 2104 diesel JGC. It is a loaded Limited (Black Forest Green).

I guess it was a mid-life crisis in reverse.

All I can say is I really could not be happier. It's so nice to have all the amenities and all the torque I'm used to. I find driving around with ECO on to be no problem with the diesel which seems to always be in 6-8th gear.

In mixed driving I am getting 24.5 MPG. Highway is 29 without trying.

The radar cruise control is spectacular.

No shakes or shimmies up to 80.

So now I have three Jeeps in the family ... who'd of thought...

I would trade my wife's 09 Wrangler in if they ever do make the TD engine as an option for the Wrangler.

Matt
mschloss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #10
Medpilot
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschloss View Post
Last Wednesday, on a whim really, I traded my 07 corvette convertible for a 2104 diesel JGC. It is a loaded Limited (Black Forest Green).

I guess it was a mid-life crisis in reverse.

All I can say is I really could not be happier. It's so nice to have all the amenities and all the torque I'm used to. I find driving around with ECO on to be no problem with the diesel which seems to always be in 6-8th gear.

In mixed driving I am getting 24.5 MPG. Highway is 29 without trying.

The radar cruise control is spectacular.

No shakes or shimmies up to 80.

So now I have three Jeeps in the family ... who'd of thought...

I would trade my wife's 09 Wrangler in if they ever do make the TD engine as an option for the Wrangler.

Matt
I had an 09 Z06 I sold a few months ago and my 2014 Overland 4x4 is its replacement. Couldn't be happier. Much more practical and comfortable.
Medpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
onebluemcm
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschloss View Post
Last Wednesday, on a whim really, I traded my 07 corvette convertible for a 2104 diesel JGC. It is a loaded Limited (Black Forest Green)......

Matt
Congrats on finding one. Love the forest green - second on my list for sure. One dealer down your way had a white Overland equipped the way I wanted, but then we found the red one in Raleigh and I wanted the cherry red most of all. If you don't mind saying, what dealer did you use?
Unread 12-03-2013, 06:02 AM   #12
mschloss
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebluemcm View Post
Congrats on finding one. Love the forest green - second on my list for sure. One dealer down your way had a white Overland equipped the way I wanted, but then we found the red one in Raleigh and I wanted the cherry red most of all. If you don't mind saying, what dealer did you use?
The JGC and both Wranglers came from Southern Jeep. Talk to Eddie McIntosh (our salesman) if you need a contact there. We have always been treated well.

Matt
mschloss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #13
bpbpimajeep14

No I did not have any problems with shimmy at any speed I drove. Smooth as glass. Love the overland such a nice vehicle that is still capable not just nice to look at and ride in.

Unread 12-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #14
bpbpimajeep14

The only complaint I have so far is that the overland does not come with the headlight washers like the summit. I wondering they can be purchased and installed after the fact.

Unread 12-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #15
fun2drive

Oneblue...
Shimmy has been reportedly caused by out of round tire, lack of force balance meaning the balance was not done that well and force balance shoots for 6 pounds or less.
I have 20" coming on my Overland and for 50 large hoping this will not be a problem...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.