2014 musings - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 musings

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

2014 musings

For those cross shopping 2011-13 WK3 vs 2014, thought I would make note of my observations after about a month of '14 ownership coming from a '11

- new tranny def shifts smoother. It errs on the side of fuel economy versus acceleration in that it up shifts as quickly as it can. shifts are very smooth and sometimes not even perceptible.
- the new transmission definitely tries to help with the braking process. My wife noticed this as well, when you are slowing down using the brake, the transmission def. kicks in to help; it is so noticeable I would bet that a set of brakes will last longer with the new transmission
- I have less headroom in the '14 than the '11, this may be going from cloth to leather, or sets need to break in, gets better after sitting on the seat for a while. Most will not notice this, I do as I'm NBA tall
- QL, which I did not have before, does not handle quite as sharply as the standard suspension ( this is not necessarily a difference between 2014 and earlier models but perhaps worth mentioning). on the other hand, the smoothness of the ride over choppy pavement, etc., is nothing short of impressive.
- the new nav, big screen unit has worked fine for me, it is a bit bright at night but I think there is a way to change that. The new back up camera where the lines curve as you turn the wheel is awesome
- MPG has been good. A bit better than the 5 spd as expected
- I will prob switch the tires out come winter, the michelins that come with ORA II dont make sense, they are all seasons not AT

gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
ImAnthony
2014 WK 

Great write up

I am coming from a 6 speed manual trans to this 8 speed auto and I like the way it shifts.

In sport mode the shifts up/down rev high just as I would to hear engine a little. Got to hear that V8 roar a little

In standard mode I'm all about conserving fuel and appreciate how it's programmed.
Unread 05-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

console readout

I would also add that the amount of info avail in the dash readouts is almost too much and it is hard to remember how to get to exactly what you want to see. On my '11 this was easy as the menu's worked like a tree and things were catagorized. The '14 has revolving data and certain things are grouped together you would not expect. there is a 'wheel articulation' readout that i have not had a chnace to play with

I do find the stereo and climate controls on the center screen v easy to use
Unread 05-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

further comments

I'm not sure if the 11-13 upper models have the same thing or not but the center ceiling console on my '14 seems bulkier and sits lower and more forward than on my '11 Laredo. Also, the rearview mirror is bigger and the stem chunky b/c of the electronics. This combination does impair my visability, esp at intersections and parking lots. Have others noticed this?
Unread 05-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
kloubik
2014 WK 

Nice write-up. Thanks. I went for a test drive in a Limited V6 a week ago as I want to upgrade some time soon. My first impression was how big the car is compared to my WJ Overland. But I understand every cycle the next model gets usually slightly bigger and at the end of the test drive I felt comfortable, so it is not a big issue (although I think the weight is). The eight-speed worked nicely, I liked the front seats and I love the new interior (I wish one could pay for an Overland steering wheel on Limited).

But I was dissepointed to learn about no flipper glass (I use it all the time), the outside mirrors still have to fold manually for the US market. The Limited does not come with xenon and to get it you have to pay $4,000 and get Luxury group! I dont get what is luxurious on xenon lights in 2014. And the xenons are not even adaptive....this is really crazy. Adaptive xenons are standard on SUV for $30k nowadays. Overall, I love the 2014 but I wish they kept or added the small things that make every day driving and using the car easier and one could customize the car a little more when ordering it.

edit: I really wanted to wait for the new Cherokee but that thing is soo ugly :-(
kloubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
mpuzach
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloubik View Post
Nice write-up. Thanks. I went for a test drive in a Limited V6 a week ago as I want to upgrade some time soon. My first impression was how big the car is compared to my WJ Overland. But I understand every cycle the next model gets usually slightly bigger and at the end of the test drive I felt comfortable, so it is not a big issue (although I think the weight is). The eight-speed worked nicely, I liked the front seats and I love the new interior (I wish one could pay for an Overland steering wheel on Limited).

But I was dissepointed to learn about no flipper glass (I use it all the time), the outside mirrors still have to fold manually for the US market. The Limited does not come with xenon and to get it you have to pay $4,000 and get Luxury group! I dont get what is luxurious on xenon lights in 2014. And the xenons are not even adaptive....this is really crazy. Adaptive xenons are standard on SUV for $30k nowadays. Overall, I love the 2014 but I wish they kept or added the small things that make every day driving and using the car easier and one could customize the car a little more when ordering it.

edit: I really wanted to wait for the new Cherokee but that thing is soo ugly :-(
You make some great points. While the 2014 Grand Cherokee is definitely great in an absolute sense, it's not necessarily an improvement over the 2011s - 2013s. I love my 2012 Limited with its flipper glass, adaptive xenons, adaptive cruise, the list goes on and on.
mpuzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #7
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

8 spd tranny

I currently have a bit of a love/hate with the new tranny on the '14. Once you get a feel most shifts are great, still a bit of a foreign feel, you find your self confirming you are the right gear more than with the standard gated shifter which was more intuitive, not sure I looked at the shifter much before.

OTOH, the ability to slam shift into and out of sport mode I am doing constantly, to my sursprise. Now, this is not the same as going into paddle shifting mode, something that has not really interested me so far. It is still full auto, just diff settings

Once in drive, the shifter can be flicked towards you w/o having to push in the button, comes out of eco mode at that point, and lets revs go higher, and lowers to aero mode all in one go. Perfect for sitting at a busy intersection when you know you may need to pull out fast, or headed up a hill where you know you'll want it to dopwnshift more aggressively, love that and using it everyday

Unread 05-17-2013, 10:50 PM   #8
kloubik
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbagabba View Post
Once in drive, the shifter can be flicked towards you w/o having to push in the button, comes out of eco mode at that point, and lets revs go higher, and lowers to aero mode all in one go. Perfect for sitting at a busy intersection when you know you may need to pull out fast, or headed up a hill where you know you'll want it to dopwnshift more aggressively, love that and using it everyday

Love this in our 328i, I am happy to hear the 2014 has the same thing.
kloubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

'14 off road

See my semi-cross post on the 'off roading forum'. Using the paddle shifters while in hill descent control mode today was fantastic. Foot of brake, off gas, crawling with a pack of wranglers. Sick, in a good way

I now have full confidence in my decision to buy a '14 limited with ORA II instead of '13 trailhawk. I have (after adding diff tires) the same off road capability. I will likely add rock rails then I'm there.

Another interesting '14 tidbit I learned today is that the airdamn sits a bit higher in the '14's? Mine did not hit all all today on some hairy trail sections
Unread 05-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #10
bgreenstone

I've had my 2014 Overland since Friday, and yesterday we took it on a 200 mile road trip. I *love* the Adaptive Cruise Control more than words can express, however, I was a bit annoyed by the premature downshifts when slowing down. The car never felt like it was coasting to a stop. It always felt like the transmission was one or two gears too low, thus dragging the car to a halt.

-Brian
bgreenstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

update

Now a few months in and thought I would throw out an update:

- I put on Cooper AT3 in stock size. Very quiet yet aggressive tread. Large blockds with sipes. No noise until > 75mph. Will make a great year round tire for trails in summer and snow in winter. Handle just as well as stock Mich

- New tranny does well on gas. Just got 26 hwy with AC on and then after wheeling was still at 23 mpg for the whole wkd trip on hilly terrain and AC. Sport mode great for merging etc.

- Done some off road and the QL + tires + technology is great. Have learned that when in berms to let the bad traction wheel spin and even apply more gas rather than convectional approach of not 'digging in more'. In the past I would back out or give up now I press on and brake system kicks in and off I go

- I did have some on/off electrical issues right away (minor) but has spontaneously gone away

- I am torn whether I should have gotten a QL model or get reg suspension and lift it. I am liking QL and the only change would be getting a hemi just so I could get QDII now that I know I'll be wheeling regularly. That being said the QTII has done what I have asked it to do and I love the V6 mpg
Unread 07-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #12
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Glad you are liking it, and thanks for the update. You confirm the general advice here, mash the throttle and let the system take care of the rest.

QD may limit wheel spin on shale or snow, but it is certainly not a mandatory trail option. Folks seem to get around pretty good with QTII, perhaps with just a bit more drama. Tires and driver skill make much more of a difference. QD does helps a bit when starting from a dead stop as it doesn't need wheel spin to work. And it does get more power to the road, the reason QD is standard on the STR8.
Unread 07-30-2013, 04:24 AM   #13
oldmac1
2014 WK 

Just traded a 2011 Hemi Overland for a 2014 V6 Overland and loved the 2011 but the 2014 is a improvement and has ample power. Loved the 11 but the 14 seems to ride and handle better for me. The big screen with the backup camera can be seen in the daylight easily with ease and the controls seem easier to use. Have not had to put gas in it for a few days, what a improvement. Yippee!
15 Rubicon Unlimited
oldmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #14
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbagabba View Post

- I am torn whether I should have gotten a QL model or get reg suspension and lift it. I am liking QL and the only change would be getting a hemi just so I could get QDII now that I know I'll be wheeling regularly. That being said the QTII has done what I have asked it to do and I love the V6 mpg

At first I wished I had gotten a limited ORA2 with a hemi for my wife, but I love the fuel mileage of that v6 too much to give it up at this point. I just leased a 2013 Ram Outdoorsman with the 8 speed and am not remotely impressed with the fuel economy, I know that is a oxymoron but every vehicle I have ever owned I have been able to match if not beat the window sticker mileage wise. My wifes jeep gets 21 to 22 mpg's 50/50 city highway driving when it is rated for 19. My fusion was rated for 33 highway and I managed 35 mpg on a 1500 mile trip including driving though baltimore and DC. This Ram is rated for 15 and 21, I am averaging 15-16 with it in almost all highway driving, I have 1100 miles on it now so I hope it gets better but still that isn't any better than my dads 99 F250.
So the moral is be very happy you have the v6.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #15
rhopkin
2014 WK 

Cannot say enough good things about my Summit. Now have it two months. Ride and MPG are great. Mileage is low, just 500 today, but the mpg with AC on all the time, I live in Florida, is averaging 22. (3.6 L engine). That is about 50% highway. If you get the software up to date the vehicle is fine. There are tranny shifting enhancements and Uconnect updates. Other than that I would put the ride and luxury up against any vehicle in it's class.
Good thing about the Summit, there are few options, 4X4 and a block heater. That's pretty much it. If you want to ensure it's off road abilities you need to add Skid Plates. They are MOPAR but are not an option. Just have it done by the dealer. Cost is very much in line with online purchase of the plates + $100 to install. Well worth peace of mind.

Last edited by rhopkin; 08-13-2013 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: Typo
rhopkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.