2014 Laredo Backup Camera... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 Laredo Backup Camera...

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-29-2014, 02:43 PM   #1
kmc0929

2014 Laredo Backup Camera...

Bought a 2014 Laredo with the 8.4 "NAV READY" touch screen. Much to my surprise, when I backed it off the lot, I quickly realized it didn't have a backup camera.

Dealer seems to be clueless; is there ANY way to get a factory backup camera put in this thing? Really don't want to put one of those license plate bracket ones on here.

kmc0929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 05:51 PM   #2
stech
2014 WK 

I wanted to add it to my 2014 GC Laredo with same radio as you and was told its not available yet by Jeep for our set up. (Model RA3 - Uconnect™ 8.4A (optional navigation) )
I might go with the back up sensors or maybe this unit below which is supposed to work with our radio according to the web site. There is another member that ordered it and was supposed to get it today, I asked him to PM me when its in and let me know how it works.

http://cruxinterfacing.com/products/...75C/index.html

The CRUX web site says it will work but when I called them they were not sure so they asked one of the engineers and he said not yet, which is weird because its advertised that it will. Ill wait and see what the other member says.
stech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 06:38 PM   #3
mrkonow

I'm half way finished with my install. I got an OEM camera with the tailgate bar, ordered a custom cable from ramharness and now it seems that i won't need this custom harness.

I have a Laredo and someone at another forum was able to install. He had to order a custom harness, as his Laredo didn't have the complete harness.

I proceed to install by his walk through, and when i got to the install, i realized my harness is different than his, my car's harness has all wires needed. I connected everything and this week i'll take it to the dealer so they can add a sales code to "wake" the camera.

The installation took me less than 1 hour. That's because i didn't have to run the custom harness all the way to the radio. If i needed to do this step, i'd say another 40 minutes to one hour to run the cable and add the pins at the back of the radio.

I'll post an update soon. If you want to proceed with this install and you don't have the full harness, i'll sell my custom harness that i won't need.
mrkonow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 08:25 PM   #4
mrkonow

No, I'm not saying that's all you need. You need to check your wiring.

As far as i know, you don't need the OEM camera with the bar. A Generic camera could be wired, if you don't mind the aftermarket look. All you need is the proper wiring done.
Unread 04-29-2014, 08:54 PM   #5
mrkonow

My Jeep has a harness at the tail gate. The main thread where I read about this for the first time, his Jeep did not have a harness at the tail gate. I will update more about my installation when i finish and have all working.
Unread 04-30-2014, 06:39 AM   #6
chowner
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkonow View Post
I'm half way finished with my install. I got an OEM camera with the tailgate bar, ordered a custom cable from ramharness and now it seems that i won't need this custom harness.

I have a Laredo and someone at another forum was able to install. He had to order a custom harness, as his Laredo didn't have the complete harness.

I proceed to install by his walk through, and when i got to the install, i realized my harness is different than his, my car's harness has all wires needed. I connected everything and this week i'll take it to the dealer so they can add a sales code to "wake" the camera.

The installation took me less than 1 hour. That's because i didn't have to run the custom harness all the way to the radio. If i needed to do this step, i'd say another 40 minutes to one hour to run the cable and add the pins at the back of the radio.

I'll post an update soon. If you want to proceed with this install and you don't have the full harness, i'll sell my custom harness that i won't need.
You have a 2014?
chowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2014, 02:39 PM   #7
kmc0929

When you say tailgate bar I am assuming you don't have a 2014?
Unread 05-01-2014, 09:31 AM   #8
mrkonow

yes i have a 2014.
Unread 05-01-2014, 09:36 AM   #9
mugsy1119

Quote:

can you post pics of the harness that was in your car so i know if my car is pre wired
mugsy1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2014, 09:44 AM   #10
stech
2014 WK 

I calle CRUX back yesterday and spoke directly with their engineer, he said there was some confusion when I called previously and that the girl at the desk told him it was for a 2014 Jeep Cherokee not 2014 Grand Cherokee. He looked up all the wiring diagrams for my GC with My Model RA3 - Uconnect™ 8.4A (optional navigation) radio and said it will work perfectly plug and play, but wont sell it to me direct, have to go through one of their listed "shops"

http://cruxinterfacing.com/products/...75C/index.html

I called a place out here with a great reputation that does a lot of custom work for the dealerships and can have it for around 700.00 complete. Kit and installed.
Think im going to go there today and talk with them again.
Unread 05-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #11
Racer83L
2014 WK 

Quote:
yes i have a 2014.
I'm interested in the part number for the camera.

Thanks in advance
Unread 05-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #12
kmc0929

Yeah so where did you get the 2014 camera and tail light bar thing? My dealer said the same thing, its already wired for the camera. Once you plug it in they would just need to adjust the computer. So now all I need is the camera!
Unread 05-06-2014, 08:19 AM   #13
stech
2014 WK 

mrkonow,,
Just curious, do you have an update on the back up camera? I spoke with my dealership parts people and SW again, and they said that it does not seem possible what your describing. There is no set up in our radios that they know of or could find talking with Chrysler to just add the factory camera and turn it on in the computer. But they would like to know if there is someone in the Jeep departments at dealerships that is aware of it
I ordered the CRUX system and it should be here any day, but if your correct and with the Model RA3 - Uconnect™ 8.4A (optional navigation) radio I can do it OEM thats what Id prefer.
Can you give me the number to the dealership you spoke with or any one else here that has a number for a dealership that has said it will work so I can talk with them Id appreciate it.
Unread 05-13-2014, 05:14 PM   #14
Swatstar10

The Crux system totally f'd up my 8.4. Black screen and hvac problems. It is at the dealership now. Urrrrrgh. Crux Tech support is useless.
Swatstar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2014, 08:17 AM   #15
chowner
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofsteel View Post
The rear camera option CAN be enabled on the RA3 but you'd need to add the OEM camera along with additional wiring. Sales code should be XAC.

I already had the option enabled and installed the camera so just need to run the additional wiring to the radio.
Wiring from where to where?

What's cost and part number of OEM camera?
chowner is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.