2014 JGC Fuel Door Not Flush - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 JGC Fuel Door Not Flush

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 01-15-2014, 07:44 AM   #1
PMHSLight

2014 JGC Fuel Door Not Flush

I have a 2014 JGC and have noticed that the fuel filler door does not close flush. When I am in the drivers seat I can clearly see the door sticking out from the drivers side mirror. I brought it to the dealer and they claimed they adjusted it, however it looks exactly the same and does not close flush. I noticed other new 2014's where the door IS flush. Has anyone else had this problem and or know of a fix?

PMHSLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 07:58 AM   #2
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Take it back & show the dealer the other ones that are flush. Or try another dealer that won't jerk you around.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 09:10 AM   #3
onebluemcm
2014 WK 

I second the notion of finding a better, non-deuche bag dealer.

I noticed mine was just not sealing tight with the gasket. It's not really sticking out bast the fender, but definitely not sealing tight. With the diesel, but and engine for that matter, you don't water getting in the fuel and with the capless filler and the not tight door, that could be an issue. Check out post #7 in this link - I rigged a fix to keep water out. But if yours is that loose, they should do a legit repair on it.

http://www.dieseljeeps.com/forum/che....html#post2161
Unread 01-15-2014, 10:02 AM   #4
bilbo_28
2014 WK 

I pointed this out to my (old) dealer and they said there was no adjustent they could make and all the ones on the lot were like it. Not spoken to my new dealer yet, but please let us know if you have any luck getting it flush.
bilbo_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #5
TurboRush

I seem to remember someone saying it was an easy adjustment. Someone posted how to do it yourself but I can't put my hands on the post at the moment.

At some angles mine doesn't look flush but when I run my fingers around the edge its pretty spot on.
TurboRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 06:10 PM   #6
cjb
2014 WK 

Dealer can and should fix it.

I had the same problem with my 2014 Overland. My fuel door even got stuck closed with ice/snow build up. My dealer ordered fuel door part/replaced a warped filler cap and is now perfectly closed. Good luck
cjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 09:28 PM   #7
TuckerDarling
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb View Post
I had the same problem with my 2014 Overland. My fuel door even got stuck closed with ice/snow build up. My dealer ordered fuel door part/replaced a warped filler cap and is now perfectly closed. Good luck
Sealed against the rubber?
TuckerDarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #8
cjb
2014 WK 

Sure does. Alls good.
Unread 01-16-2014, 02:04 PM   #9
PMHSLight

What do you mean filler cap? THe 2014 is capless. Do you mean the neck part? I want to make sure I know what to tell my dealer when I bring my Jeep in.

Thanks
PMHSLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2014, 12:43 AM   #10
TuckerDarling
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMHSLight View Post
What do you mean filler cap? THe 2014 is capless. Do you mean the neck part? I want to make sure I know what to tell my dealer when I bring my Jeep in.

Thanks
Would like to know as well
TuckerDarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2014, 06:49 AM   #11
2kg4u
2014 WK 

There is no filler cap, he must be referring to the fuel door. The filler neck is completely self sealing. There seems to be two problems floating around. Some owners have fit/flushness issues with the filler door, others have an evaporative emmissions error similar to what you would get on another vehicle if you did not tighten the gas cap. For the fit/flushness issue, I am not sure if there is an adjustment or if the fuel door has to be replaced. For the evap issue, it sounds like the dealerships are replacing the filler neck. Sealing the fuel system has nothing whatsover to do with the fuel door, and is controlled by the mechanism contained in the filler neck that has 3 (?) sections that slide apart when you insert a fuel pump nozzle, and close up when the nozzle is removed.
2kg4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2014, 04:10 PM   #12
cjb
2014 WK 

Hope this helps
service-ticket.jpg

Unread 01-17-2014, 04:43 PM   #13
goonbash

I just noticed some water inside my fuel door after going thru a brushless car wash. Not good considering my diesel uses capless fuel filler neck. I might start using a homemade cap for the filler neck like I saw someone else do in these forums. There were a couple water drops on the flap that closes off the filler neck
So there seems to be a very real possibility of water getting into the gas.
goonbash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2014, 03:22 PM   #14
Nookie
2014 WK 

Exactly what I see on mine, looks warped. I actually think this is a design issue, took the door off to check what the problem was.
As the filler door slides & then snaps on the the lever (arm)
The (5) lock snaps are to far to center and cannot hold the filler door corners flush with the lever & bend away @ the corners.

I'm going let this and another molding issue sit until summer when it heats up!.
gap.jpg

Unread 01-18-2014, 03:40 PM   #15
goonbash

As a quick fix until something better comes along, I found an aerosol spray can cap that fits very snugly over the filler neck by just checking 4 or 5 different spray can tops in my garage.

goonbash is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.