2014 jeep grand cherokee or summit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 jeep grand cherokee or summit

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-17-2014, 12:50 AM   #1
supaflyz

2014 jeep grand cherokee or summit

Hello guys, I'm new to this forum.

I'm considering to buy a jeep grand cherokee. I'm a nurse. I have consider the lexus, mdx, and infinity. I don't like the mdx because it looks like a van and my brother told me about the tranmission problem. I have join the lexus forum asking about the rx but some of the members told me that the jeep grand cherokee is a very good car. I also saw the infinity qx60 today. I like the look but know nothing about infinity. The lexus rx is also too common on the road.

I do have family members whom have own jeep grand cherokee before. Both my cousins bought the jeep grand cherokee in 1998 I believe. My aunt has the old jeep grand cherokee. She just upgraded to the new jeep.

My current car is a 2007 toyota highlander v6. I finish my nursing degree and have work for almost a year. Hopefully I will finish paying off my mortgage at the end of the year. One of my neighbor have the new jeep grand cherokee. I don't know if it is a limited, overland, or summit.

I was also considering the tahoe, but it is too big and I don't have a family or kids yet.

Ok let me ask you guys some questions. Please don't be bias because it is a jeep forum. I'm also not a troll trying to stir things up. I have heard that jeeps have bad resale value and reliability in the past? I have heard of mix opinions on the contrary that jeeps have a high resale value.

Another question is which one should I get. I wanted the summit but that is just too much for me. So now the overland and limited version. Do the limited version come in a v8 engine or a v6 engine would be good for me? I don't tow anything other than going to home depot once in a while to get some lumber and such. What is the main difference between the overland and limited? I think the limited will be good enough for me, but i have look online and saw some 2014 overland with about 18k miles on them for $38k. The new 2014 limited is around $40k that I have saw online.

supaflyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2014, 05:26 AM   #2
canistel
2012 WK 

I'm new to Jeep too (half year now), and mainly really like the Jeep. My only caution would be to avoid the base / Laredo since the ECO mode can be very frustrating to use and there is no ability to disable it on the entry level model like mine.

Other than that, the V6 works great for me and gets decent mileage for an SUV. You don't have to buy new, I bought 1.5 year old and saved the brutal hit on depreciation (which affects all new cars, some more than others).
canistel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2014, 07:04 AM   #3
Ken-G
2014 WK 

I have never had any problems on resale value of a Jeep. The Wranglers have better resale than the Grand Cherokees with my 2008 Rubicon paying nearly 1/2 the cost of my Summit.

As far reliability I have never even thought twice about taking a Jeep anywhere I need to go. I took a Grand Cherokee to Egypt the first time I was assigned to the Embassy and the Rubicon the second time. Both vehicles were solid and survived the environment without a problem.

Which vehicle is right for you is a very personnel decision. Motor Trend and Car and Driver both have reviews of the 2014 Grand Cherokee that are unbiased. It was those reviews and changes in my own needs that had me trade my 2008 Rubicon in for a 2014 Summit.

The wife basically took the Summit and drives it daily (I am stuck driving the Roush Mustang.) I have taken the Summit on a 10 hour trip and I have to admit it is an excellent car to take for long trips. It is also our preferred vehicle for around town on the weekends. I also spend more than a normal amount of time in the local hardware store and the Summit is more than capable. When I need a little more hauling room I have a 6 x 16 enclosed trailer the Summit pulls with authority. I choose the V6 because I did not want to trade in 13 MPG city on the Rubicon for a Hemi that get 13 MPG city. The Pentastar more than holds its own in the power department (if you are not hauling allot of weight or haul occasionally) and the wife gets about 23 MPG combined.

I really liked the Pano sunroof, it opens up the vehicle and makes you feel a part of the environment. I was a little worried the first hail storm but the glass seemed to take pea sized hail in stride. The Adaptive Cruise Control is awesome! No more setting the cruise to have some A-hole jump in front of you and slow down causing you to consistently adjust the cruise. The radar does a great job and even follows motorcycles just fine. As for interior, it is luxurious. They really did an excellent job with the Summit and having driven S500s while assigned to the Embassy I have to say the Summit is every bit as nice as the S500s on the interior. My only main complaint is the audio seems a little muddy for a 19 speaker system. I seem to get more range out of the Shaker system in my Roush.

Realize the Overland and the Summit are two different trim levels with the Overland below the Summit in creature comforts. The Summit comes with nearly every option that Jeep offers for the Grand Cherokee but will cost you well north of $40K for the privilege. Depending if you are an RN, BSN or MSN might make the economic decision for you. The Overland is a good GC and depending on the options its price very wildly. The Limited is like the Overland with much less in the standard features and everything being extra. The Laredo is a stripped down Grand Cherokee with some of the options not available. I'd take a Summit for a test drive and then decide which of the options you really want. Then have the salesman find your vehicle in the trim that has those features.

Be careful on your compromises. I went sans 4X4 and kick myself for that decision. Oh well the Roush gets paid off in time for a 2016 Wrangler Diesel...
Ken-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2014, 07:08 AM   #4
jimb0JP

Not sure where the comment on resale value came from, but here in Florida the current and previous generation Grand Cherokees hold their value very well, and the used ones don't stay on the lot for very long. The Overland and Summit are pretty high end vehicles with a lot of bells and whistles. The Limited can be optioned with pretty much what is standard on those two models if you find that you really have to have that option, but not necessarily all the other options that are on those models.

I personally would recommend going the V8 route, unless gas mileage is a big discriminator in your evaluation, but both engines are very close in advertised mpg. The Hemi is however not a cheap option, but if you are looking for a 2-3 year old car it's not going to add that much more to the price. The downside to that is you just don't see a lot of Hemi equipped Jeeps on the used car lots unless they are the high end models.

I'm on my second Jeep Grand Cherokee. My first one was a 2006, and other than routine maintenance and replacing things like batteries and tires it was a very reliable vehicle. I traded it a few months ago for a 2012. They are very solidly built vehicles, and great on trips...very comfortable. Just from what you have posted, I think that you would be very happy with a Limited, be it new or used.

Happy Hunting!
jimb0JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2014, 07:13 AM   #5
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

WK2Jeeps.com has a description of all the models for all years, their base equipment and options. You need to decide what features you need as some models have them standard, some are extra cost, and on some not available.

The V6 is more than adequate. Do you need a 4x4 in Houston?

The Jeep is more of a light truck than the other cars you are looking at.

Jeep gives you a lot of value for the $$$ compared to others.

You need to test drive all the models and get a feeling of what you like.

The Overland gives you some cosmetic features and minor interior upgrades compared to the limited. At one time the Overland was a nice value package, but you can equip the Limited with all the same features for less money now. You need to decide if you want the expensive 20 inch wheels as that could push you one way or another.

Dunno if it makes that much difference on the used market, however.

Once you get by the features you want and need, it gets very subjective... and only you know what you like.
Unread 07-17-2014, 02:32 PM   #6
supaflyz

I don't really think I need 4x4. My highlander wasn't a 2x4. I got a chance to get into my aunt rx 400 hybrid a few days ago. The ride is smooth, but I feel like my other aunt new jeep grand cherokee looks better. I already rule the mdx out. I don't know anything about infinity nor any of my family or relatives have them so I don't know much about them.

I don't really tow anything really. The only time I have tow anything significant was some lumber to build the back yard pergola. I borrowed my brother truck for that. I just want a vehicle that could drive to work, dependable, good engine, and fun to drive. I think the v6 will work for me. My budget is around $45k. I have search on cars.com and found some overland with v6 and limited models with most of the options around the price range. The summit v6 was around $47k. I dont mind spending extra $2k. I read around here and youtube comments that the summit is more luxurious while the overland is more offroad capable? I don't really go off road unless I'm driving to my cousin beach house. I really like the panoramic sunroof. I also like the option of having the spare wheel inside the car rather than under the car.

I"m just having the hard decision of picking which one to get. The summit, overland, and limited are around the $45k mark. I have also read that you can get about 3% below invoice right? I did a build and price options. I wanted a v6 with technology package and some other option. It went to around $54 k though.
Unread 07-17-2014, 02:37 PM   #7
supaflyz

Ok i looked again. I saw that some summit models with under 10k miles for under $45k. They have summit, overland, and limited models again.
Unread 07-17-2014, 03:11 PM   #8
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The Summit and Overland are the same vehicle, except the Summit has a few styling differences, a few interior material upgrades, and better speakers for the radio... and some standard equipment you pay extra for on the overland. All the models are basically the same vehicle, just packaged differently with certain styling of features.

If you max out all the options on the Laredo E, Limited, Overland, Summit, they will end up within a couple $thousand of each other. You may be paying for options you don't want or need, however. Many of the options are not available on the base Laredo.

Here is the base prices and the invoice for 2015 4x2 models. Adding a V8 or Diesel add a few thousand $$.

Laredo 4X2 - $29,595 ($29,180) + $995 destination
Laredo E 4X2 - $31,195 ($30,044) + $995 destination
Laredo Altitude 4X2 - $34,695 ($33,719) + $995 destination
Limited 4X2 - $36,495 ($34,936) + $995 destination
Overland 4X2 - $43,195 ($41,100) + $995 destination
Summit 4X2 - $48,595 ($46,068) + $995 destination

There are few options on the Summit, if you are seeing $54,000 it must be a 4x4 and a V8 or Diesel. (diesel is a $5000 option in 2015)

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/wk2_2015_pricing.htm

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.