2014 HVAC Heater Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 HVAC Heater Issues

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 03-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #1
jeepwes
2014 WK 

2014 HVAC Heater Issues

Hoping someone on this forum has a fix and curious if others are having this issue.

The HVAC pumps out 100+ air when set on 60 in the winter. From what I can tell this car has no manual operation to control heat. I keep getting passengers yelling at me turn the heat down because its too hot in winter.

Anyone else having this issue? Seems like a design flaw, every car in my past has always had a manual mode to control how much heat I am getting. Seems like a simple concept that Jeep messed up. I guess I am luck as I am not having other major issues.

jeepwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There are blend doors that control driver and passenger side outlet temperature. Unless you have the passenger side heat set way up, perhaps your passenger side door is defective.
Unread 03-11-2014, 06:02 PM   #3
MattXJ
2014 WK 

Have you been able to reproduce this during a long drive? I'm pretty sure just because you set the temp to 60, doesn't mean 60 degree air will constantly come out of the vents. I'm pretty sure the system uses a proprietary algorithm, in conjunction with data from a number of sensors, to achieve on average, close to, a cabin temperature of 60. (I've had previous vehicles with climate control systems, auto+manual, work the same way)

I do agree with your observation about an influx of very hot air, immediately upon starting up the HVAC system. It seems to do this for a number of minutes, before slowly coming back down and regulating itself. I also agree with you that this is annoying, and causes me to frequently overheat for the first part of my drive. Particularly if I'm making a bunch of small trips, like running errands.

Conversely, I have found that if I'm patient and let the HVAC do its thing uninterrupted, for instance on a long drive, it does a very good job of getting beyond this hot-startup phase and doing a phenomenal job of maintaining the cabin temperature that I have chosen. Even when environmental factors change, like the sun comes out from the clouds and beats down into the cabin, or in the evening when the sun sets and ambient drops significantly.

If it's just during the initial start-up like me, there must be something in the HVAC software either intentional or unintentional. Maybe the Jeep engineers had some purpose in mind for this hot-startup phase.

If you find that it won't regulate itself after a short while, take it to the dealer. Maybe one of your HVAC sensors is bad, or the unit itself somewhere like ColdCase mentioned.
Unread 03-11-2014, 08:52 PM   #4
oldmac1
2014 WK 

If I am in manual mode and startup on a colder day the heater will roast me out for a few minutes until the car gets warm. If I leave it on auto and close the drivers two vents by the rotary switches it works wonderful in my Jeep. I sometimes open the rotary switches when the car warms up but I am comfortable with them closed in auto mode. In manual mode I am roasted and sweating on startup so it is auto for me. If yours does not act similar to this then I would think a service visit would be necessary as it should regulate very quickly after startup. This is my 6th GC and it is by far the touchiest on startup settings but the best after a few minutes. Good luck with yours.

14 GC Overland
12 Liberty
08 Rubicon Unlimited
oldmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 10:53 PM   #5
Rdrakea
2011 WK 

There is another thread about this. It does suck. My 2011 Overland worked perfectly. The '14 is crazy. Like you, I have to crack a window to keep from suffocating for several minutes before it cools down. Ok, a little dramatic... but it can be pretty bad.
Unread 05-04-2014, 10:47 PM   #6
MattXJ
2014 WK 

Just released:

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_2400314.pdf
Unread 05-05-2014, 06:55 AM   #7
Rdrakea
2011 WK 

Awesome - thank you! I also noticed there was a new transmission update released last month, too. I'll be having both of these done soon. Probably won't be able to tell if the hvac issue is fixed until the fall when it gets cool again.
Unread 05-05-2014, 07:13 AM   #8
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

My 2014 does the same in manual mode. I just run it in auto and works perfectly.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.