2014 Grand Cherokee transmission failure - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 Grand Cherokee transmission failure

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-29-2014, 02:34 AM   #91
bfraz00

Is this issue mostly with the V6 trans or have there been an equal number of issues with the 5.7L trans as well?

bfraz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2014, 03:35 AM   #92
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfraz00 View Post
Is this issue mostly with the V6 trans or have there been an equal number of issues with the 5.7L trans as well?
V6 only.....v8/diesel/SRT are same unit with only a reflash and some minor shifting rough edges, most seem happy.
14summithemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2014, 11:25 AM   #93
BlueSteelJP
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsport View Post
After 19 days on injured reserve with 17 of those days at the dealership, I was finally able to pick up my Jeep the day before yesterday. The initial report from the dealership service department that it needed a whole new transmission thankfully turned out to be inaccurate. The dealership technicians contacted engineers at Chrysler and they determined that it was a bad valve body. The service manager told me that they only needed to remove the pan and not the whole transmission to make the repair. When I picked up the Jeep the odometer actually said 1158 miles. It is going to take some time to fully trust this vehicle again with such an early failure, especially one that could leave me stranded. I will keep you posted if it develops any other transmission-related issues or if this one recurs.
Same thing happened to my 05 last year, hasnt happened again since.
Blue WK Club Member #10

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 5.7 Liter Hemi no Mods So Far.
BlueSteelJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2014, 04:05 PM   #94
jlused

I've researched this further and have found quite a few people with transmission problems / valve body replacements (V6 only). Does anyone know if they're fitting an updated valve body that corrects the issue, or if they're simply slapping a replacement in that may fail just as soon?

I will of course ask the service tech, but they may not know.
jlused is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2014, 10:48 AM   #95
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlused View Post
I've researched this further and have found quite a few people with transmission problems / valve body replacements (V6 only). Does anyone know if they're fitting an updated valve body that corrects the issue, or if they're simply slapping a replacement in that may fail just as soon?

I will of course ask the service tech, but they may not know.
Have the SA or tech lookup the part in STAR and if it shows a # revision AA to AB or AC, etc then something as changed. Since the valve body is the physical heart of the tranny and there is no recall or TSB for part replacement I'm gonna bet that it's a manufacturing defect issue. All it takes is a CNC machine to be very slightly off or a burr left or, etc.. for a valve body to not act as designed. However, this is also the tranny that Chrysler is modifying the clutches. etc.. from the manufacturer to better handle their engine torque needs so there are also programming issues that complicate owner satisfaction. Seems those TSB's help for a while with some but then the tranny may return to slipping, slamming issues esp when cold...Many (most?) seem to be happy with their V6 tranny. Just my 2 cents. Too bad you won the lottery twice
Unread 07-30-2014, 02:25 PM   #96
jlused

I received a call from the dealer (Beyer Dodge in Morristown) and they were able to expedite delivery of the new valve body and the Durango should be ready tomorrow. I'm happy to hear that the repair went so quickly and commend the dealer's service team.

I asked whether this was a redesigned part and they said no, our original valve body was defective. I hope it was just a manufacturing flaw and not a design flaw. I'll have to see how our car drives and will perhaps abandon plans to switch to a Japanese minivan. The Honda Odyssey was our top choice, but I've uncovered complaints about problems with its 6-speed automatic transmission. Sounds like it might be like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire!
Unread 07-31-2014, 09:20 AM   #97
jmaisch
2014 WK 

On my second transmission now since purchasing my 2014 Laredo V-6 in July of 2014. After a few months on the new transmission I am beginning to notice that familiar shutter during certain downshifting. It seems to occur more often when the truck is cold and going up or down an hill.

Particularly when I leave work, there is an downward slope immediately following the exit of my parking area. If I don't let the truck warm up a couple of minutes it will shutter easily going down the hill.

Interestingly, it seems to shift smoother with a trailer on the back. Trailer weighs maybe 300lbs with a 500lb motorcycle on top.

My unlce has a 2014 diesel, not sure which model, and hasn't had any problems in the six months he's owned it. We both use these vehicles for towing, and off road adventures.
jmaisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2014, 09:44 AM   #98
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaisch View Post
...My unlce has a 2014 diesel, not sure which model, and hasn't had any problems in the six months he's owned it. We both use these vehicles for towing, and off road adventures.
Your uncle has a different tranny. He has the non-modified 8HP70 ZF (no real complaints) and u have the Chrysler modified 845RE which some (many?) echo your complaints. The non-modified version of your tranny from ZF is the 8HP45 for reference.
Unread 07-31-2014, 09:44 AM   #99
jlused

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaisch View Post
On my second transmission now since purchasing my 2014 Laredo V-6 in July of 2014. After a few months on the new transmission I am beginning to notice that familiar shutter during certain downshifting. It seems to occur more often when the truck is cold and going up or down an hill.
This is not what I wanted to hear...
Unread 07-31-2014, 11:41 AM   #100
ZX-10R
2014 WK 

2014 limited V6 no issues.
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #101
Spartacus3

I have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 6cyl 8speed and have had my first transmission problem 5 months and 4400 miles in. I was just beginning to accelerate into 3rd gear when the automatic transmission shifted violently and disengaged with the "Check Engine" light popping on. After pulling off the side of the road and going into Park, I restarted the Jeep and was able to continue, although the check engine light remained on. Took it into the dealer and they updated software on the transmission. After reading a number of posts here and other sites, I am maintaining all my paperwork as this problem may be more widespread than reported. I love my Jeep, but need it to work. Getting to the dealership and having it out of service for a few days at a stretch is awful for a brand new vehicle.
Spartacus3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.