2014 Grand Cherokee transmission failure - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 Grand Cherokee transmission failure

Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!

Unread 04-26-2014, 09:18 AM   #76
ZX-10R
2014 WK 

You gotta fight them hard or dealership. Seems some get new vehicles and so should you.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2014, 09:45 AM   #77
sculpin69

Fortunately I saw all of these forums before plunking down money for one of these. Nice looking but rushed before testing imo. My advice is unload it on someone else quick and get a 4runner. My new one is rock solid-not a squeak or rattle, durable old tech in the tranny and barely any depreciation. Too much other stuff to worry about in life -0 problems here I just put in garage and forget about all my old GM/ Chrysler headaches.
sculpin69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2014, 11:44 AM   #78
canistel
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculpin69 View Post
Fortunately I saw all of these forums before plunking down money for one of these. Nice looking but rushed before testing imo. My advice is unload it on someone else quick and get a 4runner. My new one is rock solid-not a squeak or rattle, durable old tech in the tranny and barely any depreciation. Too much other stuff to worry about in life -0 problems here I just put in garage and forget about all my old GM/ Chrysler headaches.
Yeah, you may as well be driving a fridge

Maybe you haven't noticed, but I'm pretty sure Toyota is the current recall queen...
canistel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2014, 01:08 PM   #79
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Why be the sucker buying a crap toyota that someone else is trying to unload for major issues? Will spend more then half it's life at the dealership for recall work anyways.
Unread 04-29-2014, 01:48 PM   #80
RB145
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingCheated View Post
I maintain my vehicles above manufacturers recommendations and have always gotten over 150,000, in the last several years that has included Chevys, Fords and Toyotas.
When I dished out almost $50,000 I expected to get the same results.
Being a manufacturing guy I would expect Chrystler to design and test their product to 6 sigma or about 3 defects per million. It sounds to me if they are are following these practices, they are falling short of that and the vehicle is probably not worth what I thought I was paying for, thus "feeling cheated".
The Chrysler/Jeep representetive from Corporate even told us we should consider getting the extended warranty on the car. I would never have bought the car in the 1st place if anyone associated with Jeep had told me that prior to my purchase.
I will keep all posted, called again today but they must be on Holiday.
Your not going to find a vehicle from anyone that only has 3 defects per million. second you should have a service contract to cover the vehicle when the warranty runs out and to cover rental car. If you choose not to purchase a service contract then you have no reason to complain.
RB145 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2014, 04:01 PM   #81
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
You've been somewhat out of touch with reality perhaps... or are you just trolling here with BS? Toyota makes some pretty good, if rather bland and expensive, vehicles.
Unread 04-29-2014, 07:42 PM   #82
esimp

I'm thinking I'm with 2014RedHemiGC and we are both very glad that we have red Hemi GCs with the "other" 8 speed transmission........
esimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2014, 01:15 PM   #83
baseball95
1979 CJ7 

2014 Overland transmission replacement

My 2014 JGC Overland with hemi was purchased new in April of 2013.
Dealer has now replaced the transmission at 8,000 miles. They were pretty good about it, as I only took it in twice with tranny noises and weird shifts. After an unsuccessful reflash they replaced it.
It shifts much better, however I notice a surging fan noise when in Park and engine is warm. Transmission temperature reads 194 degrees and then fan cuts on and and sounds like it is winding up and slowing down repeatedly.
Is this transmission related or an engine auxiliary fan ? It shuts off when I turn off the engine.
I don't have trailer tow pkg.
Is this normal ?
Thanks
baseball95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2014, 05:37 PM   #84
redsport
Buckeye
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball95 View Post
My 2014 JGC Overland with hemi was purchased new in April of 2013.
Dealer has now replaced the transmission at 8,000 miles. They were pretty good about it, as I only took it in twice with tranny noises and weird shifts. After an unsuccessful reflash they replaced it.
It shifts much better, however I notice a surging fan noise when in Park and engine is warm. Transmission temperature reads 194 degrees and then fan cuts on and and sounds like it is winding up and slowing down repeatedly.
Is this transmission related or an engine auxiliary fan ? It shuts off when I turn off the engine.
I don't have trailer tow pkg.
Is this normal ?
Thanks
Don't know if it is related to the transmission or not (doubt it) but my wife has a 2011 Dodge Durango with the hemi V8 and the 5 speed transmission and I have heard the surging fan noise since new. At 50000 miles now with no issues.
redsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2014, 03:20 PM   #85
jmaisch
2014 WK 

transmission failure 2014 Laredo

Took my 2014 Laredo in last week for the 3rd time for problems with downshifting. Previous issues were solved with software updates. This time the jolt from 3rd to 2nd was MUCH more pronounced. So much so that I took it in immediately. I was pleasantly surprised that they replaced the transmission.

Safford Jeep in Springfield, VA has been pretty good about this. A loaner car would have made the process easier, but I won't complain. Took them a week to get it done and now it runs beautifully with no issues -except that the airbag modulator now has to be replaced.

It's a v-6 that I've had since June of last year. 8K miles.
jmaisch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2014, 03:29 PM   #86
japolisk

Same Issue Here

Ever since we bought our '14 GC Overland Eco-Diesel V6 back in January of this year, it has had problems accelerating from a stop or just from having slowed down. The engine would seem to work overly hard and then after a few seconds of gas, the tranny would eventually kick in and accelerate. Then, the other day I'm on my way to the shop again (first two times the dealer told me nothing was wrong, so I'm taking it to a new dealer who already recognized there is a problem) and I broke down. The "Service Electronic Throttle Control" error popped up while doing about 40. I went to slow down at a stop light and then reaccelerate once it was green and I got stuck in 3rd gear and had to limp to a parking lot to get a tow (1627 miles). It's sitting in the shop right now awaiting analysis, but will update when I hear more. I'm new to this particular forum (but am on a lot of others) due to this being my first Jeep, but appreciate all the posts and insight into issues. Frustrated!
japolisk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2014, 03:35 PM   #87
major2000
2014 WK 

Japolisk, sounds very similar to the issue I've had with our EcoDiesel (among other issues). If your dealership figures out what the issue is, would love to hear about the fix.
major2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #88
k80schmidt

I've had my Jeep GC V6 back for almost 2 months now with the new transmission. It has not gone into limp mode like the previous transmission, but is still quite lurchy between 1 and 2, especially when accelerating for the first time after being parked. Every time I drive it now, I'm waiting for it to get to 3rd gear and just stay there. Pretty sad after paying 45k for a new car that you can't always be sure it will drive.

3 days to go until I hit the one year mark on this car so looks like I won't be able to use the lemon law if the transmission goes bad again. I previously had a 2011 Jeep GC (only traded it in because I wanted a 4x4 after moving up north) and loved it but this 2014 has turned me off from any future Jeeps. I think I'll wait until the 3 year mark just before the warranty runs out and get rid of it.
k80schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2014, 11:47 AM   #89
japolisk

Well, after almost 2 weeks at the shop, we still have no answer. I continue to call at least every other day to get an update and the last I heard they were bringing in some top engineers from Detroit to take a look. The tech said they've already tried some software updates, which didn't work, and everything else the engineers on my case have suggested over the phone haven't worked either (his gut feeling is a fuel injection issue). We'll see where it goes from here, but there is obviously no timetable as to when/if it'll be fixed. I'll post another update once I know more.
japolisk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2014, 04:47 PM   #90
jlused

Hi everyone,

Some of you may recall that I had a 2012 Durango that was repurchased by Chrysler under the lemon law due to ongoing problems with the 3.6 V6 engine's cylinder head.

Well, foolishly I took my lemon law money and gave Dodge / Chrysler another chance and purchased a 2014 Dodge Durango. My wife suffered a sudden transmission failure the other day on the highway. She was driving ~65 mph and it downshifted several gears pinning the tach at 7,000 rpm. The incident scared the hell out of her and our young daughter and it almost caused her to lose control. The Durango was towed to the dealer and they're now saying the valve body has to be replaced. I asked if they're seeing a lot of failures with the 8-speed transmission in the GC and Durango, and the dealer said yes, they're seeing plenty in GCs.

Two new Durangos, two major drivetrain failures. I'm done. As soon as the Durango is fixed, we're trading it for one of the Japanese minivans. Sad.
jlused is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.