2014 Grand Cherokee transmission failure - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 Grand Cherokee transmission failure

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-19-2014, 06:47 PM   #61
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Jeep makes a lot of WK2s, currently close to 300,000 a year I think. Thats a bit more than the 80,000 Suburbans they sell in a good year. There are bound to be several transmission issues, just the nature of producing a quality vehicle at a competitive price. It doesn't make it less annoying to someone that wins the bad transmission lottery, however.

If you want to see a lot of transmission issues in relation to production numbers, check out the Suburban or other GM forums. Yikes.

Unread 01-19-2014, 09:00 PM   #62
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

I was a Journeyman Machinist for 10 years back in the late 60's and 70's. Worked for several large job shops and last one the shop Forman where part of the shop was large manufacturing shop for aircraft weapons systems. Also ran my own small job shop for 5 years before switching careers. Where ever you have mass production and different people running a production parts in thousands, the parts may all be within tolerance but some will be better quality than others or there will be small engineering changes from one run to another. There will always be some good and some not so good parts made and human error. Some parts will last forever, some will fail quickly. Never 100% perfection.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 11:26 AM   #63
chickdr
2014 WK 

Of course there are production variances, but having a transmission become inoperable such that the car needs to be flat bedded to the dealer within a couple of weeks of purchase is a little extreme. I also don't like the idea of having a new transmission taken apart in such a short time. I would say it's just me, but obviously others agree. I was much happier with the idea of getting another truck and letting the dealer worry about selling the car which failed on us. My guess is it will end up on the lot again and be sold as new since it had only 250 miles on it.
chickdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 08:43 PM   #64
FeelingCheated

I maintain my vehicles above manufacturers recommendations and have always gotten over 150,000, in the last several years that has included Chevys, Fords and Toyotas.
When I dished out almost $50,000 I expected to get the same results.
Being a manufacturing guy I would expect Chrystler to design and test their product to 6 sigma or about 3 defects per million. It sounds to me if they are are following these practices, they are falling short of that and the vehicle is probably not worth what I thought I was paying for, thus "feeling cheated".
The Chrysler/Jeep representetive from Corporate even told us we should consider getting the extended warranty on the car. I would never have bought the car in the 1st place if anyone associated with Jeep had told me that prior to my purchase.
I will keep all posted, called again today but they must be on Holiday.
FeelingCheated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 04:51 PM   #65
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingCheated View Post
The Chrysler/Jeep representetive from Corporate even told us we should consider getting the extended warranty on the car. I would never have bought the car in the 1st place if anyone associated with Jeep had told me that prior to my purchase.
I will keep all posted, called again today but they must be on Holiday.
Well if it's a dealer telling me I should buy the extended warranty, then in my auto buying experiences, I tend to think their advice is suspect after all of the bs that had just taken place. I last turned down all extended warranties for a new Civic, as one it's a Honda, and two, it was a $17k car! (In that case the finance guy with his fake family picture on his desk acted like a spoiled brat.) It is interesting in your case for a corporate representative to actually suggest the warranty. I want to ask, "Where is the pride in their product?" Sure there is no 100% perfection, but still interesting to hear that from the manufacturer directly.

I'm rethinking an extended warranty for the first time when the wife and I finally spring for a WK2 due to all of the extra stuff that can go wrong. My dad gave me some advice many years ago that the more stuff it has, the more that can go wrong. At the time I thought he was being cheap when I wanted to buy a fancy Walkman with all the cool features vs. just a standard tape drive for half the price. (The fancy Walkman was later stolen.)

Good luck.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2014, 06:42 AM   #66
sufootball10

Not just a symptom of the bad transmission lottery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Jeep makes a lot of WK2s, currently close to 300,000 a year I think. Thats a bit more than the 80,000 Suburbans they sell in a good year. There are bound to be several transmission issues, just the nature of producing a quality vehicle at a competitive price. It doesn't make it less annoying to someone that wins the bad transmission lottery, however.

If you want to see a lot of transmission issues in relation to production numbers, check out the Suburban or other GM forums. Yikes.
In response to this I don't believe the issues are just symptom to the bad transmission lottery. I bought my JGC laredo in April 2013 and had trouble the first week. It started with extremely hard down shifting between 4th and 3rd to extremely hard upshifting between 1st and 2nd. They seemed to fix the downshifting issue but the upshifting issue keep getting worse and eventually my car would consistently get stuck in 7th gear. After it would get stuck in 7th gear I could stop, turn the car off and it would no longer be stuck in 7th. I had to take the car to the dealership 3 times with it stuck in 7th gear for them to finally agree to replace the transmission. I have 16,000 miles on it now and have been to the dealership over 20 times. The transmission was replaced last week and I was so happy the first few days, the shifting was perfect. But exactly one week later the hard shifting between 1st and 2nd started coming back and then last night the transmission got stuck in 1st gear in a parking lot and restarting the car did not fix it. What are the odds of me getting two bad transmissions back to back? I believe there is much more of a problem here.
sufootball10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2014, 08:36 AM   #67
2014RedHemiGC
2014 WK 

Would like to see a breakdown (no pun intended) when posting of transmission issues for the V6 vs. V8.
2014RedHemiGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2014, 11:02 AM   #68
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

My dad gave me some advice many years ago that the more stuff it has, the more that can go wrong.

Your Dad was a wise man and absolutely correct.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2014, 11:55 AM   #69
FeelingCheated

Got car back on Sat. with a brand new transmission. Had 19 more milies on it from when it was towed in. Hope that was enough of a test drive. Car is driving well right now and we are hoping for no more trouble. Service dept and managers at our dealership were a lot easier to communicte with than our rep from Corporate Resolution team. Even the manager of our dealership could not get her to pick up her phone. We now hope to just enjoy our new car. Fingers crossed.
FeelingCheated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2014, 12:10 PM   #70
TurboRush

Glad to hear your issue was resolved - hope it stays that way.
TurboRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2014, 07:50 AM   #71
k80schmidt

2014 Jeep GC Overland Transmission Failure

I just wanted to write about my experience with this. I bought a 2014 GC Overland in late May 2013. When I first got the car, I noticed that it was a little lurchy at times when shifting but the dealership i bought it from said that it would happen as the transmission had to learn your driving habits. I pretty much put it out of my mind and didn't notice it very much. Cut to 9 months later and the car is definitely lurching between 1 and 2 and 3 and 4. About two weeks after I noticed this, my car went into limp mode and wouldn't shift from 3rd gear. Check engine light came on. I made it home and planned to take it to the dealership the following morning. The check engine light remained on but the car would at least shift through all 8 speeds. The dealership thought it was a software issue and returned the car to me that afternoon and said the problem was fixed. It definitely was not fixed. After two more limping incidents and two more visit to the dealership, Chrysler engineers decided it needed a new transmission. They were extremely fast with doing this and I got my car back in 6 days even though the transmissions were on backorder at the time. I've now had my car back for a few days and it is driving great. If you have this problem, just keep bugging Chrysler directly and they'll fix it. I'm hopeful that this next transmission will last longer than the 6500 miles the first one had.
k80schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2014, 09:56 AM   #72
chickdr
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by k80schmidt View Post
I just wanted to write about my experience with this. I bought a 2014 GC Overland in late May 2013. When I first got the car, I noticed that it was a little lurchy at times when shifting but the dealership i bought it from said that it would happen as the transmission had to learn your driving habits. I pretty much put it out of my mind and didn't notice it very much. Cut to 9 months later and the car is definitely lurching between 1 and 2 and 3 and 4. About two weeks after I noticed this, my car went into limp mode and wouldn't shift from 3rd gear. Check engine light came on. I made it home and planned to take it to the dealership the following morning. The check engine light remained on but the car would at least shift through all 8 speeds. The dealership thought it was a software issue and returned the car to me that afternoon and said the problem was fixed. It definitely was not fixed. After two more limping incidents and two more visit to the dealership, Chrysler engineers decided it needed a new transmission. They were extremely fast with doing this and I got my car back in 6 days even though the transmissions were on backorder at the time. I've now had my car back for a few days and it is driving great. If you have this problem, just keep bugging Chrysler directly and they'll fix it. I'm hopeful that this next transmission will last longer than the 6500 miles the first one had.
This always concerns me. Why would they be on backorder unless they were having issues? I suppose it could be that they are producing more new Jeeps than the transmission manufacturer can handle which could explain the quality issues if they are running faster than they really should be to make a quality product. My ex's replacement Jeep has been fine as far at the transmission is concerned but she is only at 3K miles.
Unread 04-05-2014, 12:40 PM   #73
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by k80schmidt
Let me guess, V6?
14summithemi is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2014, 10:01 AM   #74
jbrollier

2014 GC Transmission Problems

I have had my 6 cyl GC in the shop twice since purchasing in February. Transmission jerks when shifting and is extremely annoying. The first time in the shop they had an update and it helped a little, but still having problems. Am talking directly to Chrysler now and have been assigned a case number. They say they are waiting on an answer from engineering. Very frustrating! The dealer GM will not even talk to me. He says it is between me and Chrysler at this point. Wish I could get Jeep to buy back the vehicle.
jbrollier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2014, 11:27 AM   #75
chickdr
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrollier View Post
I have had my 6 cyl GC in the shop twice since purchasing in February. Transmission jerks when shifting and is extremely annoying. The first time in the shop they had an update and it helped a little, but still having problems. Am talking directly to Chrysler now and have been assigned a case number. They say they are waiting on an answer from engineering. Very frustrating! The dealer GM will not even talk to me. He says it is between me and Chrysler at this point. Wish I could get Jeep to buy back the vehicle.
If they make three attempts in a year and it persists you may have a lemon law candidate.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.