2014 Grand Cherokee transmission failure - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 Grand Cherokee transmission failure

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Reply
Unread 01-10-2014, 01:16 PM   #46
TurboRush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindanalyzer View Post
Will I be safe from these problems (or likely) if I buy the diesel with the 8HP70 trans?

ps: I currently drive a 2013 Acura RDX
As you said, nothing is risk free, however the 8HP70 in the hemi and the diesel that is shipped right from Germany and used in just about everything from Bentley to Rover, etc. I have not seen any mention of issues with this transmission here in terms of software or hardware failures either.

Coming from Acura who is not known for their transmissions (I traded an Acura, never a mechanical issue with the transmission but it was not hte best), I would think it would be a step up

TurboRush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 02:42 PM   #47
FeelingCheated
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Wilsonville, Oregon
Posts: 4
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit transmission trouble

New 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit is now 27 days old. On day 18 it had to be towed out of my garage as it would not go into reverse, would slip itself into neutral. This after being stopped at a red light, accelerating when it turned green, only to hear a loud clunk and lurch forward. Drove home 1 min and into garage. Tried to back it out later to take it back in for service and would not go into reverse. Car has been back at dealership for 10 days now, a full 1/3 of the time I have owned it. Chrysler Group Resolution team member is sending a new transmission to be put in my brand new car. I do not feel safe in this car, nor do I have any faith the problem will be fixed. Not a random factory problem, as I have read many posts of people having the same troubles. Do not want a quick fix, want my money back on a top of the line vehicle with major troubles right of the starting gate.
FeelingCheated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #48
chickdr
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingCheated View Post
New 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit is now 27 days old. On day 18 it had to be towed out of my garage as it would not go into reverse, would slip itself into neutral. This after being stopped at a red light, accelerating when it turned green, only to hear a loud clunk and lurch forward. Drove home 1 min and into garage. Tried to back it out later to take it back in for service and would not go into reverse. Car has been back at dealership for 10 days now, a full 1/3 of the time I have owned it. Chrysler Group Resolution team member is sending a new transmission to be put in my brand new car. I do not feel safe in this car, nor do I have any faith the problem will be fixed. Not a random factory problem, as I have read many posts of people having the same troubles. Do not want a quick fix, want my money back on a top of the line vehicle with major troubles right of the starting gate.
My ex-wifes had the same issue from what it sounds like as hers would not go into gear either. They gave her another car and kept the broken one(which to me is a much better solution for someone who just spent over $40k on a NEW car). Maybe they will do the same for you? It seems unfair to make you drive around with car that had major surgery less than a month after it was sold. I don't know about a refund with one issue as most lemon law agreements state you have to have three attempts to fix the same problem. I am guessing there is a batch of bad transmissions. I hope the second car she got will avoid the issue. Best of luck on yours. It would be interesting to know the production date of the car she had and yours to see if they were made around the same time. I know the one they gave as a replacement was older as the inventory number was 500 lower than the original car.
chickdr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 04:40 PM   #49
14summithemi
Senior Member
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bay Village, OHIO
Posts: 637
FeelingCheated and chickdr, pls share your engines so we know which tranny each of you has, it matters...thx
14summithemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 08:15 PM   #50
chickdr
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 148
Hers is the 3.6l which I have found has the "made in USA" version of the tranny. If I had known that before she bought it I would have pushed for her to go with the V8 and the German tranny.
chickdr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2014, 09:31 PM   #51
14summithemi
Senior Member
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bay Village, OHIO
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Hers is the 3.6l which I have found has the "made in USA" version of the tranny. If I had known that before she bought it I would have pushed for her to go with the V8 and the German tranny.
Not trying to split hairs because you are correct that the V6 tranny (845RE) is made in the USA and the V8/Diesel tranny (8HP70) is made in Germany but I think the real "culprit" is that the 8HP70 is not altered mechanically in any way by Jeep. They bolt it in and only apply vehicle specific programming. However, the 845RE, while made by Chrysler under license in USA, is mechanically altered to the application. Reports say they actually "beef" it up with stronger clutches, etc to better handle the stresses the V6 and Jeep Select/Quad drivetrains give it. Anybody hearing of any 8HP70 issues? Nothing to speak of that I see beyond slight programming issues like taking up to 6k to "learn" your habits. The 845RE, uh, yep! And they're all mechanically related, not programming.

Looks like these "enhancements" to the stock V6/845RE tranny need some more fine tuning (or fixin')....just sayin'
14summithemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 10:01 AM   #52
Turbozcs2003
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NE
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14summithemi View Post
FeelingCheated and chickdr, pls share your engines so we know which tranny each of you has, it matters...thx
Notice some of these people have a single post and never come back, can you say troll, yes I knew you could.

I am sure some folks have problems but thru internet amplification, it gets blown out of proportion.

My local Mopar store gives free loaners on any repair, I know a couple techs and some of the stuff they do to keep customers happy amazes me

I would assume as long as Jeep gives the folks a good loaner and the dealer communicates to the customer, it should be handled.

Maybe people need to go talk to the service manager before they buy their Jeep and ask how it would be handled.
Turbozcs2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #53
loveracing1988
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbozcs2003 View Post

Notice some of these people have a single post and never come back, can you say troll, yes I knew you could.

I am sure some folks have problems but thru internet amplification, it gets blown out of proportion.

My local Mopar store gives free loaners on any repair, I know a couple techs and some of the stuff they do to keep customers happy amazes me

I would assume as long as Jeep gives the folks a good loaner and the dealer communicates to the customer, it should be handled.

Maybe people need to go talk to the service manager before they buy their Jeep and ask how it would be handled.
While I will agree with the first part of your post no local dealer around me will give out a loner vehicle unless it is their screw up that caused you to come in.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #54
Turbozcs2003
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NE
Posts: 281
Well my local dealer has 30 loaners, all old trade ins, nothing special but they are free on the honor system put gas in when you bring it back. Nice if you need to get to work.

Not sure what they do on a brand new vehichle but I would assume there is no way Jeep is going to leave someone high and dry for two weeks waiting for a part on back order without getting them into something while their Jeeps sits broken.
Turbozcs2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 11:34 AM   #55
FeelingCheated
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Wilsonville, Oregon
Posts: 4
Same engine as chickdr. We dealt with service department at dealership, who then kicked us up to Corporate because of our dissatisfaction. Took 6 phone calls over 5 days (weekend included), to get anything going. "Resolution" team is sending out a new transmission to be installed in my "brand new" car. After that kind of major surgery, it is not a new car. Major money spent on a major dud. Am driving my 13 yr old Suburban that dealership refused to take as a trade. Seems it is WAY more reliable. Have not heard from service dept since being kicked up to corporate. This is not some small part from factory that needs to be replaced. We are very dissatisfied.
FeelingCheated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #56
chickdr
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 148
I "love" the troll comment Turbozcs2003. You seriously think people are making this stuff up? The only reason I have a low post count is that I JUST bought the GC less than a month ago. I don't usually post until I actually get a car. I would have hoped I wouldn't have to post about such a serious issue right after buying a car but alas, it appears I am not alone as I have read several similar stories of late. I am sure Feelingcheated has a similar reason why they don't have lots of posts. They probably came to the forum to see if others had suffered the same fate so early - and guess what? There are several.

As an aside I can't believe Feelingcheated isn't driving a NEW Jeep GC loaner while his car is repaired. Deplorable the dealer didn't step up and take care of him.
chickdr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #57
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533
 
grogie's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Indy
Posts: 7,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingCheated View Post
Same engine as chickdr. We dealt with service department at dealership, who then kicked us up to Corporate because of our dissatisfaction. Took 6 phone calls over 5 days (weekend included), to get anything going. "Resolution" team is sending out a new transmission to be installed in my "brand new" car. After that kind of major surgery, it is not a new car. Major money spent on a major dud. Am driving my 13 yr old Suburban that dealership refused to take as a trade. Seems it is WAY more reliable. Have not heard from service dept since being kicked up to corporate. This is not some small part from factory that needs to be replaced. We are very dissatisfied.
I love Suburbans! My wife drives a very well running low mileage Liberty. It's just hard to give up a vehicle that you can trust, and that's long been paid off. Good luck with the WK2.
__________________

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 03:55 PM   #58
loveracing1988
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
I "love" the troll comment Turbozcs2003. You seriously think people are making this stuff up? The only reason I have a low post count is that I JUST bought the GC less than a month ago. I don't usually post until I actually get a car. I would have hoped I wouldn't have to post about such a serious issue right after buying a car but alas, it appears I am not alone as I have read several similar stories of late. I am sure Feelingcheated has a similar reason why they don't have lots of posts. They probably came to the forum to see if others had suffered the same fate so early - and guess what? There are several.

As an aside I can't believe Feelingcheated isn't driving a NEW Jeep GC loaner while his car is repaired. Deplorable the dealer didn't step up and take care of him.
I do agree that people sign up to try and fix problems and such but I have also seen many people come on here, make a post complaining about their jeep in a couple different threads and then never post again. It has happened many many times.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 06:15 PM   #59
chickdr
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
I do agree that people sign up to try and fix problems and such but I have also seen many people come on here, make a post complaining about their jeep in a couple different threads and then never post again. It has happened many many times.
The behavior of others doesn't make our posts any less valid. What stinks is when folks don't give the resolution to the problem. I hope Feelingcheated comes back with what happened- if he doesn't end up selling/trading car as soon as it is fixed...
chickdr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 06:34 PM   #60
TurboRush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Posts: 207
Anybody that quits on car because of a clear factory defect that early doesn't understand manufacturing. There are a handful of folks that have needed new valve body's... I'm betting it's the same thing with "feelingcheated" but for whatever reason they're replacing the whole tranny, which he should be so happy as many wanted a whole new transmission rather than the valve body. Both are relatively minor surgery compared to actually rebuilding the tranny and low occurrence considering the numbers.

By example one of my other cars ate a rear diff at 3k, whole new unit shipped from Japan. Seven years later it's lived its life making a lot more horsepower, doing track days, and being beaten on and hasn't been in the shop for anything other than maintence and upgrades. Had I just **** on it Id lost the best car I've ever owned.

Also, does no one remember Acura having to extend warranties on their transmissions because they were dying so frequently? My girlfriends Toyota corolla ate a tranny recently, but but, that's one of the most reliable cars and it's a TOYOTA! But this never happens any place else and I just don't feel safe driving my jeep.
TurboRush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.