2014 Grand Cherokee transmission failure - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 Grand Cherokee transmission failure

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 12-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #31
atc1989
2014 WK 

So what is the consensus on the transmission now? I just factory ordered the 2014 GC Limited v6 this past Saturday. I'm hoping Chrysler won't be using any of these malfunctioning components in future builds.

atc1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #32
NC4stroker
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc1989 View Post
So what is the consensus on the transmission now? I just factory ordered the 2014 GC Limited v6 this past Saturday. I'm hoping Chrysler won't be using any of these malfunctioning components in future builds.
I have an 11 V6 GC, had a hemi 13 GC, and also have a 14 diesel GC (V8 tranny) No issues with any of them. Though the 13 V8 tranny would seem to have a little "slack" in the system, and this would give you a "slip and a hard start" occasionally. Never had it checked out, as we were trading for the 14 diesel.
NC4stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #33
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc1989 View Post
There is nothing mechanically wrong with the transmission. It is just software issues.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #34
TurboRush

For the 100k+ that are out there it seems to fall in line with anything else in manufacturing, most are fine, a small # have some sort of mechanical issue out of the gate.... software fixes are coming along for shifting, while not ideal at least you know Jeep is working on it (although not everyone has an issue with the shifting in the v6 and many have said it was vastly improved with the last software update).

atc1989 - your Jeep will probably have the latest and greatest software transmission software was released just a couple days ago as well. When you get it keep in mind it is an adaptive transmission and may take 500 - 1000mi in extreme cases to learn your driving habits and adjust shift patterns accordingly. Some even go as far as to recommend disconnecting the battery right away and letting it sit for 20 - 30 minutes so you get a fresh start.
TurboRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #35
atc1989
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRush View Post
For the 100k+ that are out there it seems to fall in line with anything else in manufacturing, most are fine, a small # have some sort of mechanical issue out of the gate.... software fixes are coming along for shifting, while not ideal at least you know Jeep is working on it (although not everyone has an issue with the shifting in the v6 and many have said it was vastly improved with the last software update).

atc1989 - your Jeep will probably have the latest and greatest software transmission software was released just a couple days ago as well. When you get it keep in mind it is an adaptive transmission and may take 500 - 1000mi in extreme cases to learn your driving habits and adjust shift patterns accordingly. Some even go as far as to recommend disconnecting the battery right away and letting it sit for 20 - 30 minutes so you get a fresh start.
Thanks for the info. I'll keep the adaptive transmission in mind when I start driving it.
atc1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 08:11 AM   #36
diesel_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmulus
Well, I believe that the 8HP70 used in the V8 is built at ZF's new transmission plant in Gray Court, SC, and the 845RE used in the V6 Grand Cherokees is made at the Chrysler transmission plant in Kokomo, IN. So, both are US made, although Chrysler buys the 8HP70 and makes the 845RE. Here is some good information: http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/ZF8.html
My window sticker says the transmission was made in Germany. I have a 2014 GC diesel.
diesel_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #37
fun2drive

That is because on the 5.7 and 3.0 CRD you have the ZF 8spd. The 3.6 is also an 8 spd with a ZF design but being built by a 2nd source not ZF using ZF specs...
fun2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #38
chickdr
2014 WK 

My ex just picked up a 2014 V6 Overland Monday night. She called me yesterday on the way home from work saying the truck was driving strangely- engine revving loudly, but not moving as fast as it should. Check engine light was on as well. I had her stop and turn the car off to try and reset the issue, but it continued. She was able to limp home, but when she wanted to leave the car would not go into reverse or drive. She had to have it flat bedded to the dealer. Under 300 miles on the clock. I thought her 2007 Audi Q7 was bad, but it never left her stranded. She wants her Audi back.

UPDATE: The dealer came through and gave her another car they had on the lot(just so happened they had two identical trucks). I hope this one doesn't suffer the same fate, but I figure it isn't likely. Hats off to Ed Voyles Jeep in Marietta, GA .

Last edited by chickdr; 01-03-2014 at 05:55 PM..
chickdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2014, 09:21 AM   #39
TurboRush

I wouldn't write it off just yet. I've mentioned it before I had a car eat a rear diff at 3k, from a brand that doesn't have the highest reputation for quality. 7 years later it's been the most reliable car I've ever owned, it gets tracked regularly, beaten on, and runs a lot more power than stock and it hasn't been back to the shop except for maint or upgrades.
TurboRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #40
redsport
Buckeye
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just an update on mine, we are at 8895 miles now with no other problems. I got the then latest software update in October or November and didn't really notice any difference in the transmission's performance. I automatically switch it out of Eco mode every time I drive.
redsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 09:11 AM   #41
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsport View Post
Just an update on mine, we are at 8895 miles now with no other problems. I got the then latest software update in October or November and didn't really notice any difference in the transmission's performance. I automatically switch it out of Eco mode every time I drive.
The updates are supposed to help eco mode so that would be why you haven't noticed anything.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2014, 09:36 AM   #42
redsport
Buckeye
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
The updates are supposed to help eco mode so that would be why you haven't noticed anything.
I ran it in Eco mode after the update and didn't notice a difference. I am not overly concerned with the gas mileage and prefer the more responsive nature of the transmission when not in Eco mode.
redsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #43
chickdr
2014 WK 

Eco mode stinks. Noticeable decrease in performance. No idea why anyone would ever use it.
chickdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 09:45 AM   #44
eerattler
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
My ex just picked up a 2014 V6 Overland Monday night. She called me yesterday on the way home from work saying the truck was driving strangely- engine revving loudly, but not moving as fast as it should. Check engine light was on as well. I had her stop and turn the car off to try and reset the issue, but it continued. She was able to limp home, but when she wanted to leave the car would not go into reverse or drive. She had to have it flat bedded to the dealer. Under 300 miles on the clock. I thought her 2007 Audi Q7 was bad, but it never left her stranded. She wants her Audi back.

UPDATE: The dealer came through and gave her another car they had on the lot(just so happened they had two identical trucks). I hope this one doesn't suffer the same fate, but I figure it isn't likely. Hats off to Ed Voyles Jeep in Marietta, GA .
Ed Voyles is a classy dealership. I used to get my Jeep serviced there all the time when I lived in Marietta.
eerattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #45
mindanalyzer

diesel too?

Will I be safe from these problems (or likely) if I buy the diesel with the 8HP70 trans?

ps: I currently drive a 2013 Acura RDX

Last edited by mindanalyzer; 01-10-2014 at 12:26 PM..
mindanalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.