2014 Grand Cherokee transmission failure - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 Grand Cherokee transmission failure

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #16
phil385
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14summithemi View Post
Can't comment on that but you should know...the ZF tranny that comes in V6 equipped rigs has the 845RE version of the 8 spd tranny, V8's get the 8HP70 version. The difference being that the V8's ZF 8HP70 is made in Germany by ZF, whereas, the V6's ZF 845RE is made by Chrysler "under license" from ZF. There seem to be issues like this with the V6/Chrysler manufactured unit and nothing to speak of coming from the V8/ZF sourced units other than programming break-in. It was one of the reasons I opted for the Hemi.

This is a big time case for having an extended warranty on the V6 models if you are keeping long term, just sayin'...
Exactly! Sucks if you have a V6 and got the crap 8 speed

Unread 12-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #17
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Germany vs US

No guarantee Germany trannie is any better built than the ones in SC.
V6 trannie isnt that bad in the 2014.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #18
14summithemi
2014 WK 

True enough. Not knocking the US made since they are all made by humans. I think the issue is that the V8 version is in many more vehicles and more proven in field.
14summithemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #19
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Typically failures happen either very early in the life or later down the road and the causes are different. An early failure like this tells you nothing about long term reliability.

BTW I believe Chrysler is also sourcing transmissions for ZF, so the distinction is not clear cut.

[But, then again, I'm a guy with the classic 3 speed Torqueflite, primitive but wonderfully trouble free]

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #20
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil385 View Post

Exactly! Sucks if you have a V6 and got the crap 8 speed
So far on both forums I have seen 2 peopke have mechanical issues with either 8 speed. Not exactly crap if you ask me.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #21
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14summithemi View Post
True enough. Not knocking the US made since they are all made by humans. I think the issue is that the V8 version is in many more vehicles and more proven in field.
V8 in many more vehicles? Numbers and cites to support this?
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #22
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post

The 8HP70 transmission is used in audi and bmw's as well as chrysler v8's.
Unread 12-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #23
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
The 8HP70 transmission is used in audi and bmw's as well as chrysler v8's.
Chrysler,Jeep,or Dodge V8's are all the same as they are the same company.
Unread 12-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #24
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post

Chrysler,Jeep,or Dodge V8's are all the same as they are the same company.
I know... I meant chrysler the total company, not just chrysler the brand.
Unread 12-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #25
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Quote:
More subjective than pure numbers and also based on allpar.com, popular mechanics research, etc... The 8HP70 has been in BMW 7 Series, Rolls Royce Phantom, Range Rover, Audi, Chrysler for a few years and seemed to be more of a "design the car around the tranny" kind a thing where virtually nothing was mechanically changed in the tranny. It was just sourced directly from ZF and bolted in with application specific programming. It seemed to me that the 845RE was a tranny that began with the ZF 8HP45 and then Chrysler changed the design a bit, all for improvements granted, to better fit the application. This gave me less confidence in the proven reliability of it over the unchanged design of the 8HP70. Again, I was "looking" for reasons to justify why I HAD to get the Hemi

Also, I believe the 845RE is/will be built also/only? in the new ZF Kokomo US plant. I think it was a demand thing where Chrysler couldn't keep up with need.
14summithemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #26
Qmulus
2014 WK 

Well, I believe(d, incorrectly) that the 8HP70 used in the V8 is built at ZF's new transmission plant in Gray Court, SC, and the 845RE used in the V6 Grand Cherokees is made at the Chrysler transmission plant in Kokomo, IN. So, both are US made, although Chrysler buys the 8HP70 and makes the 845RE. Here is some good information: http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/ZF8.html

(The 8HP70 used in the Grand Cherokees is made in Germany, as corrected by subsequent posts from others. Had I just LOOKED on my window sticker, I would have seen mine was from Germany. Whoops, sorry for the incorrect info. I usually do a better job of checking before I make statements...)

Last edited by Qmulus; 12-25-2013 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: Corrected incorrect info for future readers.
Qmulus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #27
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmulus View Post
Well, I believe that the 8HP70 used in the V8 is built at ZF's new transmission plant in Gray Court, SC, and the 845RE used in the V6 Grand Cherokees is made at the Chrysler transmission plant in Kokomo, IN. So, both are US made, although Chrysler buys the 8HP70 and makes the 845RE. Here is some good information: http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/ZF8.html
I dont think they arr buying from there yet. The trans in my ram was made in Germany.
Unread 12-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #28
fun2drive

The transmission itself is fine. Like all other manufacturers ZF sources components from many locations. A couple of valve body failures doesn't constitute a catastrophy. ZF makes the best transmissions in the world. I have driven ZF transmissions and love them.
What I think we are seeing is the 6 sigma part of the curve.
As mentioned mechanical systems will fail once in a while even with 100% inspection.
I have a lot of confidence in Jeep...
Also not a fanboi of Jeep just practical...
fun2drive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #29
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
As mentioned mechanical systems will fail once in a while even with 100% inspection.
I have a lot of confidence in Jeep...
Also not a fanboi of Jeep just practical...
There are different failure categories. Early failures are typically due an occasionally weak part of a bit of metal chip where it does not belong. They generally happen very early, and once fixed never recur.

Even a well engineered system will have some early failures, but once those issues are cleared, will not be problematic in the long run.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #30
RB145
2014 WK 

Quote:
No guarantee Germany trannie is any better built than the ones in SC.
V6 trannie isnt that bad in the 2014.
Has nothing to do with the ones built in SC. The V8 ones are built in Germany and the V6 versions come from a chrysler plant in Indiana.
RB145 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.