2014 Grand Cherokee transmission failure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 Grand Cherokee transmission failure

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #1
redsport
Buckeye
2003 TJ Wrangler 

2014 Grand Cherokee transmission failure

The title says it all. We have a 2014 JGC Limited 4X4 with the V6 and 8 speed transmission. While pulling on to a rural road about 1 week ago the vehicle lurched and wouldn't go and then went into limp mode. The transmission would only stay in 3rd gear and would not go into reverse at all. Luckily, we were only 2 miles from home so we made it home safely. This was on last Saturday evening.

Monday morning I called the dealership and since they didn't have a tow service I was directed to call Chrysler Roadside Assistance. Chrysler Roadside Assistance quickly got the Jeep to the dealership where it arrived on a flatbed by 10:30 am. I can only assume the service department was extremely busy because when I called at 5pm they still hadn't evaluated it but said that they would get to it the next day. When I called on Tuesday afternoon I was told that it needs a new transmission.

A few more details, we had the Jeep for a little over 3 weeks when this happened. It has about 1160 miles on it now, we have put less than 1000 on it. The dealership provided a minivan rental car for us to drive on Thursday that smells like an ashtray. I was at the dealership yesterday (Saturday) and the service advisor didn't know when the new transmission would be in. He said Mondays are busy so I should call him, instead of him calling me, to find out when they expect the new transmission in.

So, our new JGC is sitting in the weeds by a dumpster behind the dealership. I will probably contact Chrysler Customer Service today just to notify them of my situation, however I doubt they will be able to do anything to help at this time.

Since I didn't find any threads on transmission failure when I searched this forum I thought I should share.

redsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Chrysler isnt known for parts availibility

Back last January 2013 when my driveshaft failed I was told I could expect the new driveshaft the middle of March. Some how some way the service manger at Manassas Jeep was able to get the part in 7 days.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsport View Post
He said Mondays are busy so I should call him, instead of him calling me, to find out when they expect the new transmission in.

So, our new JGC is sitting in the weeds by a dumpster behind the dealership. I will probably contact Chrysler Customer Service today just to notify them of my situation, however I doubt they will be able to do anything to help at this time.
Good idea to call, especially if it will be a couple of days for the transmission.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
overland_HO
2013 WK 

Oh man, sorry to hear that! Bummer and a brand new Jeep too. I hope that they got it worked out for you and they can get you back in the road ASAP! I bet it is really frusterating! Keep us updated on the outcome of the repair..
Unread 08-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
redsport
Buckeye
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Mini-update: I spoke with Chrysler Customer service and they created a case Monday evening. I received an email last night that my case was being forwarded to case management for further review. I called the dealer Monday and they were hoping to have the new transmission the next day, I haven't heard anything from them since. Here is a picture of it from Saturday:
Unread 08-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
redsport
Buckeye
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Update to the update: My wife just drove by the dealership and said the Jeep was still sitting in the same spot so I am betting the new transmission has not arrived yet.
Unread 08-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Not even 1200 miles and the transmission quit on ya, that sucks big time! Hope they get the new transmission in soon and get you back on the road!
Unread 08-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
Dabitz

I stop by this forums every time I get tempted to trade in for a '14. Hope everything works out.
Dabitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
redsport
Buckeye
2003 TJ Wrangler 

After 19 days on injured reserve with 17 of those days at the dealership, I was finally able to pick up my Jeep the day before yesterday. The initial report from the dealership service department that it needed a whole new transmission thankfully turned out to be inaccurate. The dealership technicians contacted engineers at Chrysler and they determined that it was a bad valve body. The service manager told me that they only needed to remove the pan and not the whole transmission to make the repair. When I picked up the Jeep the odometer actually said 1158 miles. It is going to take some time to fully trust this vehicle again with such an early failure, especially one that could leave me stranded. I will keep you posted if it develops any other transmission-related issues or if this one recurs.
Unread 12-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #10
LoloJeepGuy
2014 KL Cherokee 

Angry 2014 Grand Cherokee Laredo Transmission Failure

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 3.6L V-6 with the new 8-speed transmission has a bizarre failure! I made a quick trip to Staples and returned to my garage only to find that the gear shift would not go from Drive to Park, stopping in Neutral. When this happens a red warning ring appears around the speedometer with a message that the transmission needs immediate service and you are advised to set the parking brake and leave the vehicle in Neutral. That is a real problem since the electronic controls will not completely shutdown, staying only in the ACC mode. if you press the ignition Start button it cranks the engine on again. It initially would not go in Reverse but after some fiddling with the gear shift selector it went into reverse and I drove it immediately to my dealer. The dealer is great and got right on the problem, loaned me a car to drive and diagnosed the failure as a valve body issue. The necessary repair parts are on National Backorder! Obviously, Chrysler has a major quality problem with this. The dealer cannot tell me when the parts will be available or if this repair will permanently fix the problem; I may be getting the same manufactured part that failed the first time and the story will repeat itself. This whole issue is inexcusable. I cannot be stranded in the wilds of Montana in below Zero weather. I am ready to take whatever legal action to dump this vehicle and get something more reliable. The JGC has only 970 miles on it.
LoloJeepGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #11
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoloJeepGuy View Post
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 3.6L V-6 with the new 8-speed transmission has a bizarre failure! I made a quick trip to Staples and returned to my garage only to find that the gear shift would not go from Drive to Park, stopping in Neutral. When this happens a red warning ring appears around the speedometer with a message that the transmission needs immediate service and you are advised to set the parking brake and leave the vehicle in Neutral. That is a real problem since the electronic controls will not completely shutdown, staying only in the ACC mode. if you press the ignition Start button it cranks the engine on again. It initially would not go in Reverse but after some fiddling with the gear shift selector it went into reverse and I drove it immediately to my dealer. The dealer is great and got right on the problem, loaned me a car to drive and diagnosed the failure as a valve body issue. The necessary repair parts are on National Backorder! Obviously, Chrysler has a major quality problem with this. The dealer cannot tell me when the parts will be available or if this repair will permanently fix the problem; I may be getting the same manufactured part that failed the first time and the story will repeat itself. This whole issue is inexcusable. I cannot be stranded in the wilds of Montana in below Zero weather. I am ready to take whatever legal action to dump this vehicle and get something more reliable. The JGC has only 970 miles on it.
Stuff breaks,it does happen even on the most expensive vehicles.You will need 2 more failures(after this 1st one) of the trans before you can start the lemon law process in most states in the 1st year of ownership.
Unread 12-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #12
Medpilot
2014 WK 

I wonder if this problem could be narrowed down to a build date.
Medpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #13
TurboRush

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoloJeepGuy View Post
Not an overreaction at all. Taking whatever legal action isn't going help you as you don't have any legal standing or recourse at the moment... Here is a link to information about Montana's Lemon Law: https://doj.mt.gov/consumer/for-cons...and-lemon-law/. Essentially, you'll have to have this issue 3x in the next 2 years or 18k miles to qualify as a lemon.

One failure does not spell immediate doom. Some % of everything manufactured has an issue from day 1, its a fact of life. Keep in mind how many GCs are being sold.. 14k last month alone, 100k+ year to date.

One of my other cars ate a rear end at 3k miles - its now 7 years old and hasn't been in the shop once (other than maint) and is by far the most reliable car I've ever had including lots of track days, making a lot more power than stock, etc

That said, if you want to dump it there is nothing stopping you from trading it in the second you get it back and getting something else.
TurboRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #14
wriggly1dog
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRush View Post

That said, if you want to dump it there is nothing stopping you from trading it in the second you get it back and getting something else.
Yep....that's exactly what I did with the Mustang that had a trans failure at 1000 miles, traded it for a 14 Grand Cherokee.

Ford just released the new 15 Mustang today. It looks nice, maybe while everyone is distracted with them, I will try to snag a new 14 Shelby GT 500.
wriggly1dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #15
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medpilot View Post
I wonder if this problem could be narrowed down to a build date.
Can't comment on that but you should know...the ZF tranny that comes in V6 equipped rigs has the 845RE version of the 8 spd tranny, V8's get the 8HP70 version. The difference being that the V8's ZF 8HP70 is made in Germany by ZF, whereas, the V6's ZF 845RE is made by Chrysler "under license" from ZF. There seem to be issues like this with the V6/Chrysler manufactured unit and nothing to speak of coming from the V8/ZF sourced units other than programming break-in. It was one of the reasons I opted for the Hemi.

This is a big time case for having an extended warranty on the V6 models if you are keeping long term, just sayin'...
14summithemi is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.