2014 Grand Cherokee Overland Stereo Upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland Stereo Upgrade

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdGear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 09-11-2014, 09:56 PM   #1
johnsanchez
2014 WK 

Wk 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland Stereo Upgrade

Has anyone modified the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Stereo. The stereo is terrible and I would like to know some possible upgrade options.

johnsanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2014, 06:03 AM   #2
DiamondFanatic
2014 WK 

Hi John, what system do you have in your Overland? Is it the 9-Speaker amplified Alpine system? Also, what sort of improvement are you looking for?
DiamondFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2014, 06:42 AM   #3
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

What don't you like about it? Not loud enough? The radio/amps/speakers are integrated. There have been a few here add subwoofer and amp.

Some discussion here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...stion-2670618/
Unread 09-12-2014, 07:34 AM   #4
kkreit01

There are a few extensive builds on the other forum. It takes a lot of money and time to significantly improve the Alpine system. That's not because it good to begin with. It's just very difficult to upgrade. Since there's no full-range signal present in the OE system, it doesn't help to add your own speakers and amps - unless you add a processor (DSP) as well.

For a simple, minor improvement, you can change the center channel speaker to any 3.5" coaxial. This is the only easy change. It does make a difference. I'm trading my Jeep today, so I swapped my stock speaker back in. I immediately noticed a difference. It takes $30-100, and 10 min of your time.
kkreit01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2014, 12:23 PM   #5
mtrottfam

one of the first things I did to my14 was rip out everything but head unit. around $2500 dollars later at audio shop and I have a killer JL audio system. I had the base 6 speaker no sub. I did have to get a processor unit because of the full range issue. 100 times better than stock.
my14-custom-audio-box.jpg  
mtrottfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2014, 03:17 PM   #6
adamchrtrnd
2015 WK 

I have the standard stereo that comes in the 2015 Altitudes - the only complaint I have about it is that it is too "boomy" at times. Adjusting the bass doesn't seem to help.

I know my post doesn't help your question, just an observation I have had.
Unread 09-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #7
johnsanchez
2014 WK 

I have the amplified 9 channel Alpine system. I am thinking about upgrading the speakers to give it more clarity and punch. The system currently is very quiet, has terrible midrange, and the highs are distorted and harsh. Also the bass is very boomy and sounds like it is playing from an entirely different system. I am aware there is no full range signal which is why I would like to keep the factory amp even though it is not super powerful. I might consider putting in a new sub and sub amp which is relatively easy to install as well (but at a later date). Mostly I was just wondering if I put in quality speakers, will it make a big difference in overall sound quality. I am considering these speakers for the front:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_091130A...0AS.html?tp=97

Will my factory amp have enough power to run these?
johnsanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2014, 05:26 PM   #8
JeepMattGA
2014 WK 

I went from a 2013 GC Laredo X with the 9 speaker Alpine system to a 2014 Limited Diesel with a 6 speaker system (I can't find any info on the 6 speaker system in the EcoDiesel at all), but the 6 speaker system sounds much better. The 9 was ok, but I didn't realize how 'meh' it was until I bought the new one.
JeepMattGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2014, 07:33 PM   #9
bamafutbal

care to expand

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkreit01 View Post
There are a few extensive builds on the other forum. It takes a lot of money and time to significantly improve the Alpine system. That's not because it good to begin with. It's just very difficult to upgrade. Since there's no full-range signal present in the OE system, it doesn't help to add your own speakers and amps - unless you add a processor (DSP) as well.

For a simple, minor improvement, you can change the center channel speaker to any 3.5" coaxial. This is the only easy change. It does make a difference. I'm trading my Jeep today, so I swapped my stock speaker back in. I immediately noticed a difference. It takes $30-100, and 10 min of your time.
bamafutbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2014, 09:38 PM   #10
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamchrtrnd View Post
I have the standard stereo that comes in the 2015 Altitudes - the only complaint I have about it is that it is too "boomy" at times. Adjusting the bass doesn't seem to help.

I know my post doesn't help your question, just an observation I have had.
Main reason I got suckered into HK in the Summit . The Alpine has no DSP and the amp is somewhat "dirty" so the base isn't crossed over well within available spkrs. Hence the aforementioned PITA job to redo better "right" so a compromise may have to do.
14summithemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2014, 09:54 AM   #11
overland_HO
2013 WK 

Alpine system works for me, sounds just fine for a stock system.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.