2014 Grand Cherokee - Electrical problems? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 Grand Cherokee - Electrical problems?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #46
boyvan
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkvette94 View Post
I gave up. put a lawyer on retainer and filed the lemon law paperwork Monday. They knowingly sent out broken cars to the dealers. I'm not talking about a few scratches. I mean really broken stuff. Collision warnings systems inop, nav that takes me miles out into the water, park sense systems in op.. The list goes on for all of us.
With all the issues I can't recommend anyone do any software updates themselves. Make the dealers do their job.. It's what you paid for! plus that way when the problems still exist you can't be blamed for them.

I really think it's time for a class action lawsuit.

Any body else in?
I am not disagreeing with you but for class action law suit the percentage of overall dissatisfied owners should be high. On this forum, if you have 50 or 100 people complain (for example) that is still not as high compared to thousands of satisfied customers.

Lawyers will get paid either way but I would get a second opinion on whether its worth the trouble. OR hire a lawyer who will only charge you if you win then you will get honest advice from your lawyer

Unread 07-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #47
blkvette94

50- 100 here, more on other forums. More that are floundering at not knowing what to do and playing the role of victim.

Unless we get one loud voice- JEEP can avoid doing anything significant to acknowledge the problems. I know for a fact that the complaints are bad enough the NHTSA has started an ODI case on the 2014 JGC.
blkvette94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 06:33 AM   #48
loveracing1988

Quote:
50- 100 here, more on other forums. More that are floundering at not knowing what to do and playing the role of victim.

Unless we get one loud voice- JEEP can avoid doing anything significant to acknowledge the problems. I know for a fact that the complaints are bad enough the NHTSA has started an ODI case on the 2014 JGC.
50 to 100 here and maybe 50 to 100 on the other forum. I would be willing to bet the percentage of 2014 Grand Cherokee owners with issues is maybe 1 to 2 percent of the total vehicles sold.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #49
StaticFX

i would take that bet!!

go back and look at my post. These are known issues. there is a software update to fix many of these - but in a number of cases the software is not fixing it and anew radio is required. I am one of these people (radio finally on order)
for those of you with 13.05 - i'll bet you will need a new radio no matter what lol..

im going to start a new thread with this info too

You need to update to 13.19.0 you can find this out there on the net (or ask the dealer for it) and you CAN do this on your own.
then after you update.. wait a few days... then unhook the battery (negative) for 20-30 minutes (to reset) <Jeep will want you to do this also.. so might as well do it yourself. Battery is under the passenger seat

if you still have issues, you can now tell them you have done everything and its time to order a new radio.

any radio built before 6/15/2013 can have these issues. Many times the update will fix it.. but many times it wont.
I just went through a week of back and forth with my dealer, finally have a new radio on order.

Quote:
NUMBER: 08-049-13
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: June 29, 2013

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves upgrading the software on the RA3 or RA4 Radio.
MODELS:
2013 (DS) 1500 Ram Pickup
2014 (WK) Grand Cherokee
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before June 15, 2013 (MDH
0615XX) equipped with SMART TOUCH 3 AM/FM/SAT/BT/VOICE (sales code
RA3) or SMART TOUCH 4 AM/FM/SAT/BT/NAV/VOICE (sales code RA4).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
A customer may experience, one or more of the following conditions.
· Radio reset, screen lockup, blank screen or sluggish system response time.
· Loss of vehicle position on NAV map.
· Compass indicator turns off.
· Erratic changes to vehicle icon on NAV map.
· Touch screen shut down message.
· Radio surround sound will not stay ON.
· Driver memory feature causes Sirius XM failure.
· Loss of radio presets.
· Battery drain - due to radio remains on.
· Uconnect apps don't load.
· AM/FM popping noises and/or static.
· Backup camera display is blank.
also... if you get the 911 error "Vehicle Phone requires service" you have a bad Sierra Wireless card.. you will need a new radio (do the above just to save yourself time - the dealer will do the same thing first)
StaticFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #50
Remusny

I would love to buy the 2014 Jeep Summit but am scared off by electric issues. Anyone have a successful software update? Anyone know if Jeep is making new radios/units that actually work? Any input appreciated.
Remusny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #51
jacko15
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remusny View Post
I would love to buy the 2014 Jeep Summit but am scared off by electric issues. Anyone have a successful software update? Anyone know if Jeep is making new radios/units that actually work? Any input appreciated.
Yes to both questions.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #52
StaticFX

Yes. the update fixes many of the older.. when looking at the Jeep check the build date... after June 15th? all set
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #53
JaynieElle
2014 FSJ Cherokee 

2014 GJ Problems

My 2014 JGC was built on 6/17/13 and I am having all of the transmission/electrical problems others are posting about. Dealership less than helpful. Anyone want to buy a jeep??
JaynieElle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #54
jacko15
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaynieElle View Post
My 2014 JGC was built on 6/17/13 and I am having all of the transmission/electrical problems others are posting about. Dealership less than helpful. Anyone want to buy a jeep??
Some Jeep dealers have less than stellar service departments. Try another dealer, they will all honor your warranty. Also try escalating to the corporate level. The numbers should be in your owner's manual. Mine was built April 6th, and I'm not having any issues except one Uconnect problem that was resolved by calling Uconnect customer service.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #55
StaticFX

the transmission issues (the hard jerky shifting) is starting to reach HQ.

If you are having the odd electrical issues, check the software version on the radio, im going to guess they snuck in an older one. - if you need to update it.

As far as the transmission, unhook the negative battery cable for 20-30 minutes. Hook it back up and drive the jeep slowly and calmly for a day. Many have said this helps immensely.
Unread 07-29-2013, 09:56 AM   #56
blkvette94

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticFX View Post
the transmission issues (the hard jerky shifting) is starting to reach HQ.

If you are having the odd electrical issues, check the software version on the radio, im going to guess they snuck in an older one. - if you need to update it.

As far as the transmission, unhook the negative battery cable for 20-30 minutes. Hook it back up and drive the jeep slowly and calmly for a day. Many have said this helps immensely.
Why should I have to do software updates myself, Unhook the battery cables myself, drive it in certain manner.. just to make it operate like a normal car should?
Understand everyone is trying to help, but if these are legitimate factory approved fixes why isn't the Jeep telling the dealer to do these things via some TSB or even an informal call? Without factory approval-- DIY remedies like these are the equivalent of "jiggling the handle". Are they fixing a symptom or addressing the problem? And how often am I expected to jiggle the handle?
blkvette94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #57
loveracing1988

Quote:

Why should I have to do software updates myself, Unhook the battery cables myself, drive it in certain manner.. just to make it operate like a normal car should?
Understand everyone is trying to help, but if these are legitimate factory approved fixes why isn't the Jeep telling the dealer to do these things via some TSB or even an informal call? Without factory approval-- DIY remedies like these are the equivalent of "jiggling the handle". Are they fixing a symptom or addressing the problem? And how often am I expected to jiggle the handle?
Updating your software isn't he same as updating your computer or phone, just download the file onto a USB flash drive and plug it in. From the sounds of it you just have a bad dealer or the dealer doesn't want to deal with you.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #58
2014jeepgc
2014 WK 

I'm having an issue just STARTING my GC!!!! At the dealer twice in 4 days now for it!!
2014jeepgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 10:08 PM   #59
StaticFX

Quote:
Im trying to save you trips to the dealer - doing the update to the radio and pulling the cable are 2 steps they will do first.

There are TSB's for the update to the radio and a star case # for replacing it if needed.
Unread 08-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #60
Remusny

Anyone have good news about dealer fixes? Does software fix change things like the Eco button being automatically set on ECO every time you start the car? I read that regular mode shifts a lot nicer.
Remusny is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.