2014 Grand Cherokee - Electrical problems? - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 Grand Cherokee - Electrical problems?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 01-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #151
Isotack

All of the grounds (three that I can see including the one to the alternator) are tight.

Isotack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 08:42 AM   #152
Isotack

The service rep just called...said "for some reason it just went into a default mode" whatever that means? Default mode is to stay on forever?

I asked her if they re-flashed the radio...she said no they just re-set it. Sounds like BS to me.
Isotack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #153
jr0777
2003 TJ Wrangler 

2014 JGC Overland Issues

Joined this forum awhile ago, mostly due to owning an 03 TJ 6 cyl that I work on and love. Now I'm commenting due to my new 2014 GC Overland with a 5.7L Hemi which has had the following issues within the first 25 days of ownership (this car has all the bells and whistles except adaptive cruise and lane avoidance):

1. On Day 2, the voice recognition did not work (got the car at night the first day, did not try VR until the next day). Called the dealer, they scheduled a service appointment for Day 3. On the night of Day 2, I went online, found out that my uconnect module needed an update, downloaded to USB and updated in my driveway the most current version available in mid December (don't remember exactly which version). 20+ days later VR has been working like a charm - problem solved (by me).

2. 1 week in, the auto-leveling headlight on the left side would randomly not rise up after starting the GC. This resulted in the right hand side headlight functioning properly, with the left hand side 33% of the time pointing significantly down. It doesn't matter if I use the auto headlight setting or full headlights - seems to depend randomly on what the left hand light wants to do at startup, and cannot be fixed unless I turn the car on and off again and then it may not work the first, second or third restart. This is a problem when night driving obviously and is very pronounced the further away from the car the light beam goes - basically the left side is dark after only a short distance.

3. Random reboots of the touchscreen, happens while the car is in motion without any type of triggering event (no settings changes, no radio changes, no use of VR, etc.). Has happened 4 times in a few weeks (and even after I did the software update to the most current version available on Day 2). Fortunately, more of a nuisance than anything else as all that happens is the radio drops for a few seconds.

4. This week, a new issue: start the car fine, then turn on the driver side seat heater and the steering wheel heater which both work great. Drive for awhile (30 minute commute) with both heaters on and then turn off the heaters about 15 minutes later because the car is warm now. Drive another 15 minutes after turning the heaters off (did not stop), park the car at work for a few hours, then start the car to go to lunch and the seat and steering wheel heaters are on automatically. At first I think this is a great feature because maybe the car senses it's cold outside but this is California and it's 60 degrees today here (according to google @ 1pm). I look down and see that there are two different temperature readings both on the center touchscreen. One says 37 degrees, the other 76 degrees. Neither are correct, very odd. If I adjust the dash temperature readout in screen setup it shows 37 degrees. I go to a coworkers car, temp gauge is 59, just to make sure I'm not crazy.

Taking the GC in tomorrow to the dealership for service on issues 2-4. Pictures for issues 2 and 4 (the different temperatures) attached. Couldn't get a picture for # 3 because it happened while I was driving and safety first of course. One headlight picture shows normal level state, the other the uneven state where the left side is lower than the right. The center console picture speaks for itself. Will update after the appointment if anyone is interested.
even2.jpg   uneven2.jpg  
temps.jpg

Last edited by jr0777; 01-14-2014 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: EDIT: Thumbnails show upside down but when clicked on pictures are correctly aligned - sorry
jr0777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:12 PM   #154
roots4x
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0777 View Post
2. 1 week in, the auto-leveling headlight on the left side would randomly not rise up after starting the GC. This resulted in the right hand side headlight functioning properly, with the left hand side 33% of the time pointing significantly down. It doesn't matter if I use the auto headlight setting or full headlights - seems to depend randomly on what the left hand light wants to do at startup, and cannot be fixed unless I turn the car on and off again and then it may not work the first, second or third restart. This is a problem when night driving obviously and is very pronounced the further away from the car the light beam goes - basically the left side is dark after only a short distance.
It's strange, but I believe that for your headlights, the second picture is actually how it should be. All cars normally have their left headlight lower than the right and I believe it has to do with glare for oncoming traffic. I have had several auto-leveling HID cars and they've all behaved that way. Obviously, if it's not consistent there is still something wrong, but i think the first photo is the one that is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0777 View Post
4. This week, a new issue: start the car fine, then turn on the driver side seat heater and the steering wheel heater which both work great. Drive for awhile (30 minute commute) with both heaters on and then turn off the heaters about 15 minutes later because the car is warm now. Drive another 15 minutes after turning the heaters off (did not stop), park the car at work for a few hours, then start the car to go to lunch and the seat and steering wheel heaters are on automatically. At first I think this is a great feature because maybe the car senses it's cold outside but this is California and it's 60 degrees today here (according to google @ 1pm). I look down and see that there are two different temperature readings both on the center touchscreen. One says 37 degrees, the other 76 degrees. Neither are correct, very odd. If I adjust the dash temperature readout in screen setup it shows 37 degrees. I go to a coworkers car, temp gauge is 59, just to make sure I'm not crazy.
I'm sure you know but the 76 indicates your auto climate control temperature. After running the car for a few minutes did the temperature fix itself? I've noticed car temperature readings are off when the car is first started (other makes, not specifically Jeep).

Also, there is an option in the Control (maybe comfort) settings to enable/disable turning on the steering wheel heater. Did you remote start your car?

Also, just curious, do you know what the production date of your car is? Mine is 10/13 and I'm wondering if I might run into similar issues.
roots4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:21 PM   #155
jr0777
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply. I will start off with the admission that I am an idiot - you are right, the 76 degrees is the internal user generated temperature and I shouldn't have represented it as an error with the system - that's my fault. The point I should have stuck to was that 37 degrees was about 20 degrees inaccurate versus the real external temperature. Thanks for pointing it out, sorry about that.

On the lights - if they had consistently been one side lower than the other, I agree it may have been a normal setting, but some days it's up, some days it's down and when it's down - it's a dramatic difference in visibility between the left side and the right side when driving at night. And since sometimes it comes up, sometimes it doesn't I feel like something just isn't right there.
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:52 PM   #156
JeepGC6855
2014 WK 

The outside temperature only adjusts when the vehicle is in motion, thus when you got to work it was 37 degrees and then later in the day when it had warmed up, the Jeep still thought it was 37, thus under 40 the heated seat and steering wheel come on (you can turn this off). If it had been 90 degrees in your Jeep, the heated seat and wheel would come on and the air would be blowing from the floor vents until it is driven and the outside temp reading rises to where it should be. They really need to come up with an update to make the temp adjust when the vehicle is off and setting for a set amount of time. This is my only complaint with my Jeep
JeepGC6855 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 07:30 AM   #157
TurboRush

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGC6855 View Post
The outside temperature only adjusts when the vehicle is in motion, thus when you got to work it was 37 degrees and then later in the day when it had warmed up, the Jeep still thought it was 37, thus under 40 the heated seat and steering wheel come on (you can turn this off). If it had been 90 degrees in your Jeep, the heated seat and wheel would come on and the air would be blowing from the floor vents until it is driven and the outside temp reading rises to where it should be. They really need to come up with an update to make the temp adjust when the vehicle is off and setting for a set amount of time. This is my only complaint with my Jeep
Yes, this is a common complaint about how and when the vehicle decides to update the exterior temp reading. A very knowledgeable individual with contacts inside Jeep (although not related to Jeep in any way) has said the engineers admit that they got this wrong. A fix has been in the works for a while, not sure when it'll be coming.

Its something along the lines of if its been less than 3 or 4hrs since the last start it reads the same temp as when it was turned off, it doesn't start to update until certain driving criteria is met (criteria that might not be met if you're in a city, low speed, stop and go). This obviously causes issues for someone that goes to work at 8am and then goes out at lunch, there can be a significant temperature swing but the Jeep won't register it right away.
TurboRush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2014, 04:42 PM   #158
jr0777
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hello again, here's an update. The dealership is going to replace the left headlight control module and they are also replacing the touchscreen unit completely. Parts are 7-10 days out so I will be scheduling a follow up appointment in a week or so.

Also, someone asked what the manufacturing date of my GC was: May 2013

Thanks for all the input and education in the reply posts. Much appreciated.
Unread 01-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #159
ericwlod

Electronics issues

I can tell you that I had all of the reboot issues and stuck heated seats and heated steering in the on position, back up camera stuck on while driving, etc.. The reprograms did nothing, the dealer replaced the radio/display/NAV/BT system and all of the problems with the reboots and camera were solved and have been OK for the past 1.5 months. The only remaining issue is with the heated seats and heated steering column coming on when you start the car.
The default setting in the NAV is set to off on start up. The dealer states that the can try 4 days worth of reprograms to try and fix the issue which is only a guess. They suggested we wait until Chrysler gets all the programming fixed before we try anything else, it is easy enough to just shut the seats and steering wheel off on start up if you don't want them on.

The dealer told me that Chrysler changed Radio/Display vendors late last year and units built pre June 2013 are having these issues. My replacement radio had a manufacture date of November 2013..so the dealer says..
ericwlod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 03:10 PM   #160
jacko15
2014 WK 

My build date was April 6, 2013, and I haven't had any of the issues on this thread. So, not all radios in vehicles built prior to June 2013 are having problems. At least not so far.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2014, 03:11 PM   #161
TurboRush

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericwlod View Post
I can tell you that I had all of the reboot issues and stuck heated seats and heated steering in the on position, back up camera stuck on while driving, etc.. The reprograms did nothing, the dealer replaced the radio/display/NAV/BT system and all of the problems with the reboots and camera were solved and have been OK for the past 1.5 months. The only remaining issue is with the heated seats and heated steering column coming on when you start the car.
The default setting in the NAV is set to off on start up. The dealer states that the can try 4 days worth of reprograms to try and fix the issue which is only a guess. They suggested we wait until Chrysler gets all the programming fixed before we try anything else, it is easy enough to just shut the seats and steering wheel off on start up if you don't want them on.

The dealer told me that Chrysler changed Radio/Display vendors late last year and units built pre June 2013 are having these issues. My replacement radio had a manufacture date of November 2013..so the dealer says..
You are in luck my friend, there is now a TSB for the issue where you can't disable auto comfort (aka, heated stuff coming on below 40 degrees). Just released about a week ago. Print it out, bring to dealer and let them fix: http://wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0800214.pdf
Unread 01-17-2014, 01:09 PM   #162
lakeglenville

2014 Overland 5.7. Just got through having Recall Flash for the radio. Had to have radiator replaced as I had a leak and front suspension issue as well.
Vehicle was in the shop for about 13 days. Dealership did a great job at taking care of me with rental car and keeping me up to date on progress.

Well...THE RADIO RECALL FLASH DID NOT WORK. Picked up vehicle yesterday, the radio did the typical turn off and reboot. Unfortunate but not the end of the world.

Speaking of the radio, is it just my radio or is this typical for these radios, but I find it odd that I can turn the radio all the way to max volume, 38 and yes it's loud but not really. Just something I noticed.
lakeglenville is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2014, 02:36 PM   #163
ericwlod

Heated seat SB

Great, thanks for the heads up, you would think the dealer would be all over this considering all the time they spent on my 14 GC. Granted its a brand new SB but they were all set to experiment a week ago to figure it out. They obviously didn't know it existed.
ericwlod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2014, 03:01 PM   #164
TurboRush

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeglenville View Post
2014 Overland 5.7. Just got through having Recall Flash for the radio. Had to have radiator replaced as I had a leak and front suspension issue as well.
Vehicle was in the shop for about 13 days. Dealership did a great job at taking care of me with rental car and keeping me up to date on progress.

Well...THE RADIO RECALL FLASH DID NOT WORK. Picked up vehicle yesterday, the radio did the typical turn off and reboot. Unfortunate but not the end of the world.

Speaking of the radio, is it just my radio or is this typical for these radios, but I find it odd that I can turn the radio all the way to max volume, 38 and yes it's loud but not really. Just something I noticed.
The Recall has nothing to do with the radio. It's the recall addresses issues with EVIC and christmas tree lights on dash, etc. Completely separate components from the radio (uConnect).

What software version are you running on uConnect? (You can get to it by going into settings on the radio and system information I think.
Unread 01-17-2014, 05:35 PM   #165
14summithemi
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRush View Post
You are in luck my friend, there is now a TSB for the issue where you can't disable auto comfort (aka, heated stuff coming on below 40 degrees). Just released about a week ago. Print it out, bring to dealer and let them fix: http://wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0800214.pdf
Awesome! I was wondering why there was no checkbox on this screen for such a common sense feature. Afterall, the top of the page does say it is for seat and steering wheel yet there is only a checkbox for the wheel. My butt is simply never cold PLUS I make frequent stops as a Realtor and once it's warm I hate having to keep turning if off every friggin' time I restart the car when below 40...YA!!!
autocomfortnoselect.jpg  
14summithemi is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.