2014 Grand Cherokee - Electrical problems? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 Grand Cherokee - Electrical problems?

Rugged Ridge 07-14 JK Sherpa Roof Rack available @ Oconee Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-Road

Unread 05-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
reynoldsc062

2014 Grand Cherokee - Electrical problems?

Hi all,

Wondering if any other 2014 GC owners have noticed some of these issues:

1. Lumbar resets itself from time to time
2. Radio pops (not static)
3. Radio volume changes on its own (displays the volume changing on screen)
4. Recycled air button turns off after 2-3 minutes when blower set to floor (when using AC)

Not sure if this is just my vehicle, or potentially a wider issue?

Thanks!

Edit: I have the Laredo package

reynoldsc062 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
shekshishekki
2013 WK 

Number 4 is normal. If recirc is on too long the air gets too damp.
shekshishekki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekshishekki View Post
Number 4 is normal. If recirc is on too long the air gets too damp.
How would the air get too damp? It cools already cooled and dehumidified air, so it wold be cooler and even less humid.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
shekshishekki
2013 WK 

Thats what was posted when someone asked a similar question. Its the same when you try to defog your windows. You cant re-circ even if you wanted to.
shekshishekki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 04:29 AM   #5
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

That's because for 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynoldsc062 View Post
Hi all,

Wondering if any other 2014 GC owners have noticed some of these issues:

1. Lumbar resets itself from time to time
2. Radio pops (not static)
3. Radio volume changes on its own (displays the volume changing on screen)
4. Recycled air button turns off after 2-3 minutes when blower set to floor (when using AC)

Not sure if this is just my vehicle, or potentially a wider issue?

Thanks!

Edit: I have the Laredo package
Fiat had Jeep go with a combination of Lucas and Magnetti Marelli electronics for 2014. So you are stuck with the Prince of Darkness and his Italian mistress. Joke. The Red Bull F1 team just recently had to find a reliaible alternator so they went with TAG/McLaren rather than Magnetti Marelli. For us posters old enough to remember MGs, TRs and Healeys with Lucas electronics did you know Lucas has been a major supplier of electronics to the commercial aviation industry. Something to think about next time you fly.

The recycled air stays on my 2012 GC for at least 30 minutes with AC on.
Static and radio changing volume sound like a bad ground or loose connection. I only use the lumbar rarely so I cant comment. Go to dealer and hopefully they will resolve.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #6
reynoldsc062

I don't use the lumbar either, which is why it's somewhat annoying when I find it pushed all the way out, and jabbing me in the back haha.

I'll definitely give the dealer a call
reynoldsc062 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 07:32 AM   #7
loveracing1988

My wife's also makes a popping noise, but it is only on one station which is kind of weak. I have also never heard static out of it either.
Unread 05-22-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

I have a '14 limited, no issues for first month, this past weekend on longer drives than my short commute my nav screen froze but manual radio controls still worked despite frozen screen. It reset itself after a few minutes; the next day the opposite occured, the manual controls on the wheel and knobs would not control radio but touch screen worked. Shutting car on/off fixed it

I have an early '14 so I was expecting a few bugs. Works fine now during my short commute, when I get my first oil change I expect to ask for a software update/TSB etc and see what happens. No biggee
gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
mark090852

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
How would the air get too damp? It cools already cooled and dehumidified air, so it wold be cooler and even less humid.
Our bodies and breath provide moisture to the air inside the cabin. Frequently it builds up like that faster than the AC can remove it. That's why it is best to not leave the AC set to recirculate.
mark090852 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #10
boyvan
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark090852 View Post
Our bodies and breath provide moisture to the air inside the cabin. Frequently it builds up like that faster than the AC can remove it. That's why it is best to not leave the AC set to recirculate.
So stop breathing while driving and it will solve the problem
Unread 05-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #11
bgreenstone

I've had mine a week now, and I've noticed that randomly certain Settings reset themselves all on their own. For example, every day or two the option to show the Nav Turn information in the Center Dash Console defaults back to NO. I keep having to change it back to YES. Various other Settings do that.

-Brian
bgreenstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #12
chrisstarmont

Angry Radio is dead!

My 2014 Summit has had to have a new radio put in after 1200 miles. The bigger issue is the dealer can't get the radio and has had it for a week now! I traded my 2011 GC in on a 2014 and wish I had not. Why is Jeep selling product they can't back up?
chrisstarmont is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #13
bilbo_28
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisstarmont View Post
Why is Jeep selling product they can't back up?
Because demand is so high they can't keep up.... There is another post about someone that could not even place an order because they had sold the months projected production run already.

Last edited by bilbo_28; 06-19-2013 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: spelling
bilbo_28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 05:03 AM   #14
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

recxall

I suspect we will see a recall on the head units/radio/nav system. Mine is pretty damn glitchy right out of the box and it seems to be the main issue others are reporting. Seems to be more likely when I use Nav than not.

Can always still drive the GC
gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 06:01 AM   #15
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo_28 View Post

Because demand is so high they can't keep up.... There is another post about someone that could not even place an order because they had sold the months projected production run already.
It has been the same way the past few months, usually the allocation is usually taken in less than 2 weeks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.