Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2014 Grand Cherokee transmission failure

124K views 184 replies 82 participants last post by  1979goldeneagle 
#1 ·
The title says it all. We have a 2014 JGC Limited 4X4 with the V6 and 8 speed transmission. While pulling on to a rural road about 1 week ago the vehicle lurched and wouldn't go and then went into limp mode. The transmission would only stay in 3rd gear and would not go into reverse at all. Luckily, we were only 2 miles from home so we made it home safely. This was on last Saturday evening.

Monday morning I called the dealership and since they didn't have a tow service I was directed to call Chrysler Roadside Assistance. Chrysler Roadside Assistance quickly got the Jeep to the dealership where it arrived on a flatbed by 10:30 am. I can only assume the service department was extremely busy because when I called at 5pm they still hadn't evaluated it but said that they would get to it the next day. When I called on Tuesday afternoon I was told that it needs a new transmission.

A few more details, we had the Jeep for a little over 3 weeks when this happened. It has about 1160 miles on it now, we have put less than 1000 on it. The dealership provided a minivan rental car for us to drive on Thursday that smells like an ashtray. I was at the dealership yesterday (Saturday) and the service advisor didn't know when the new transmission would be in. He said Mondays are busy so I should call him, instead of him calling me, to find out when they expect the new transmission in.

So, our new JGC is sitting in the weeds by a dumpster behind the dealership. I will probably contact Chrysler Customer Service today just to notify them of my situation, however I doubt they will be able to do anything to help at this time.

Since I didn't find any threads on transmission failure when I searched this forum I thought I should share.

See less See more
#4 ·
Oh man, sorry to hear that! Bummer and a brand new Jeep too. I hope that they got it worked out for you and they can get you back in the road ASAP! I bet it is really frusterating! Keep us updated on the outcome of the repair..

#5 ·
Mini-update: I spoke with Chrysler Customer service and they created a case Monday evening. I received an email last night that my case was being forwarded to case management for further review. I called the dealer Monday and they were hoping to have the new transmission the next day, I haven't heard anything from them since. Here is a picture of it from Saturday:

#9 ·
After 19 days on injured reserve with 17 of those days at the dealership, I was finally able to pick up my Jeep the day before yesterday. The initial report from the dealership service department that it needed a whole new transmission thankfully turned out to be inaccurate. The dealership technicians contacted engineers at Chrysler and they determined that it was a bad valve body. The service manager told me that they only needed to remove the pan and not the whole transmission to make the repair. When I picked up the Jeep the odometer actually said 1158 miles. It is going to take some time to fully trust this vehicle again with such an early failure, especially one that could leave me stranded. I will keep you posted if it develops any other transmission-related issues or if this one recurs.

#10 ·
2014 Grand Cherokee Laredo Transmission Failure

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 3.6L V-6 with the new 8-speed transmission has a bizarre failure! I made a quick trip to Staples and returned to my garage only to find that the gear shift would not go from Drive to Park, stopping in Neutral. When this happens a red warning ring appears around the speedometer with a message that the transmission needs immediate service and you are advised to set the parking brake and leave the vehicle in Neutral. That is a real problem since the electronic controls will not completely shutdown, staying only in the ACC mode. if you press the ignition Start button it cranks the engine on again. It initially would not go in Reverse but after some fiddling with the gear shift selector it went into reverse and I drove it immediately to my dealer. The dealer is great and got right on the problem, loaned me a car to drive and diagnosed the failure as a valve body issue. The necessary repair parts are on National Backorder! Obviously, Chrysler has a major quality problem with this. The dealer cannot tell me when the parts will be available or if this repair will permanently fix the problem; I may be getting the same manufactured part that failed the first time and the story will repeat itself. This whole issue is inexcusable. I cannot be stranded in the wilds of Montana in below Zero weather. I am ready to take whatever legal action to dump this vehicle and get something more reliable. The JGC has only 970 miles on it.

#11 ·
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 3.6L V-6 with the new 8-speed transmission has a bizarre failure! I made a quick trip to Staples and returned to my garage only to find that the gear shift would not go from Drive to Park, stopping in Neutral. When this happens a red warning ring appears around the speedometer with a message that the transmission needs immediate service and you are advised to set the parking brake and leave the vehicle in Neutral. That is a real problem since the electronic controls will not completely shutdown, staying only in the ACC mode. if you press the ignition Start button it cranks the engine on again. It initially would not go in Reverse but after some fiddling with the gear shift selector it went into reverse and I drove it immediately to my dealer. The dealer is great and got right on the problem, loaned me a car to drive and diagnosed the failure as a valve body issue. The necessary repair parts are on National Backorder! Obviously, Chrysler has a major quality problem with this. The dealer cannot tell me when the parts will be available or if this repair will permanently fix the problem; I may be getting the same manufactured part that failed the first time and the story will repeat itself. This whole issue is inexcusable. I cannot be stranded in the wilds of Montana in below Zero weather. I am ready to take whatever legal action to dump this vehicle and get something more reliable. The JGC has only 970 miles on it.
Stuff breaks,it does happen even on the most expensive vehicles.You will need 2 more failures(after this 1st one) of the trans before you can start the lemon law process in most states in the 1st year of ownership.

#15 ·
Can't comment on that but you should know...the ZF tranny that comes in V6 equipped rigs has the 845RE version of the 8 spd tranny, V8's get the 8HP70 version. The difference being that the V8's ZF 8HP70 is made in Germany by ZF, whereas, the V6's ZF 845RE is made by Chrysler "under license" from ZF. There seem to be issues like this with the V6/Chrysler manufactured unit and nothing to speak of coming from the V8/ZF sourced units other than programming break-in. It was one of the reasons I opted for the Hemi.

This is a big time case for having an extended warranty on the V6 models if you are keeping long term, just sayin'...

#18 ·
True enough. Not knocking the US made since they are all made by humans. I think the issue is that the V8 version is in many more vehicles and more proven in field.

#19 ·
Typically failures happen either very early in the life or later down the road and the causes are different. An early failure like this tells you nothing about long term reliability.

BTW I believe Chrysler is also sourcing transmissions for ZF, so the distinction is not clear cut.

[But, then again, I'm a guy with the classic 3 speed Torqueflite, primitive but wonderfully trouble free]

#26 · (Edited)
Well, I believe(d, incorrectly) that the 8HP70 used in the V8 is built at ZF's new transmission plant in Gray Court, SC, and the 845RE used in the V6 Grand Cherokees is made at the Chrysler transmission plant in Kokomo, IN. So, both are US made, although Chrysler buys the 8HP70 and makes the 845RE. Here is some good information: http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/ZF8.html

(The 8HP70 used in the Grand Cherokees is made in Germany, as corrected by subsequent posts from others. Had I just LOOKED on my window sticker, I would have seen mine was from Germany. Whoops, sorry for the incorrect info. I usually do a better job of checking before I make statements...)

#27 ·
Well, I believe that the 8HP70 used in the V8 is built at ZF's new transmission plant in Gray Court, SC, and the 845RE used in the V6 Grand Cherokees is made at the Chrysler transmission plant in Kokomo, IN. So, both are US made, although Chrysler buys the 8HP70 and makes the 845RE. Here is some good information: http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/ZF8.html
I dont think they arr buying from there yet. The trans in my ram was made in Germany.

#28 ·
The transmission itself is fine. Like all other manufacturers ZF sources components from many locations. A couple of valve body failures doesn't constitute a catastrophy. ZF makes the best transmissions in the world. I have driven ZF transmissions and love them.
What I think we are seeing is the 6 sigma part of the curve.
As mentioned mechanical systems will fail once in a while even with 100% inspection.
I have a lot of confidence in Jeep...
Also not a fanboi of Jeep just practical...

#29 ·
As mentioned mechanical systems will fail once in a while even with 100% inspection.
I have a lot of confidence in Jeep...
Also not a fanboi of Jeep just practical...
There are different failure categories. Early failures are typically due an occasionally weak part of a bit of metal chip where it does not belong. They generally happen very early, and once fixed never recur.

Even a well engineered system will have some early failures, but once those issues are cleared, will not be problematic in the long run.

#31 ·
So what is the consensus on the transmission now? I just factory ordered the 2014 GC Limited v6 this past Saturday. I'm hoping Chrysler won't be using any of these malfunctioning components in future builds.

#32 ·
I have an 11 V6 GC, had a hemi 13 GC, and also have a 14 diesel GC (V8 tranny) No issues with any of them. Though the 13 V8 tranny would seem to have a little "slack" in the system, and this would give you a "slip and a hard start" occasionally. Never had it checked out, as we were trading for the 14 diesel.

#34 ·
For the 100k+ that are out there it seems to fall in line with anything else in manufacturing, most are fine, a small # have some sort of mechanical issue out of the gate.... software fixes are coming along for shifting, while not ideal at least you know Jeep is working on it (although not everyone has an issue with the shifting in the v6 and many have said it was vastly improved with the last software update).

atc1989 - your Jeep will probably have the latest and greatest software transmission software was released just a couple days ago as well. When you get it keep in mind it is an adaptive transmission and may take 500 - 1000mi in extreme cases to learn your driving habits and adjust shift patterns accordingly. Some even go as far as to recommend disconnecting the battery right away and letting it sit for 20 - 30 minutes so you get a fresh start.

#36 ·
Qmulus said:
Well, I believe that the 8HP70 used in the V8 is built at ZF's new transmission plant in Gray Court, SC, and the 845RE used in the V6 Grand Cherokees is made at the Chrysler transmission plant in Kokomo, IN. So, both are US made, although Chrysler buys the 8HP70 and makes the 845RE. Here is some good information: http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/ZF8.html
My window sticker says the transmission was made in Germany. I have a 2014 GC diesel.

#38 · (Edited)
My ex just picked up a 2014 V6 Overland Monday night. She called me yesterday on the way home from work saying the truck was driving strangely- engine revving loudly, but not moving as fast as it should. Check engine light was on as well. I had her stop and turn the car off to try and reset the issue, but it continued. She was able to limp home, but when she wanted to leave the car would not go into reverse or drive. She had to have it flat bedded to the dealer. Under 300 miles on the clock. I thought her 2007 Audi Q7 was bad, but it never left her stranded. She wants her Audi back. :thumbdown:

UPDATE: The dealer came through and gave her another car they had on the lot(just so happened they had two identical trucks). I hope this one doesn't suffer the same fate, but I figure it isn't likely. Hats off to Ed Voyles Jeep in Marietta, GA .

#39 ·
I wouldn't write it off just yet. I've mentioned it before I had a car eat a rear diff at 3k, from a brand that doesn't have the highest reputation for quality. 7 years later it's been the most reliable car I've ever owned, it gets tracked regularly, beaten on, and runs a lot more power than stock and it hasn't been back to the shop except for maint or upgrades.

#40 ·
Just an update on mine, we are at 8895 miles now with no other problems. I got the then latest software update in October or November and didn't really notice any difference in the transmission's performance. I automatically switch it out of Eco mode every time I drive.

#46 ·
Will I be safe from these problems (or likely) if I buy the diesel with the 8HP70 trans?

ps: I currently drive a 2013 Acura RDX
As you said, nothing is risk free, however the 8HP70 in the hemi and the diesel that is shipped right from Germany and used in just about everything from Bentley to Rover, etc. I have not seen any mention of issues with this transmission here in terms of software or hardware failures either.

Coming from Acura who is not known for their transmissions (I traded an Acura, never a mechanical issue with the transmission but it was not hte best), I would think it would be a step up

#47 ·
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit transmission trouble

New 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit is now 27 days old. On day 18 it had to be towed out of my garage as it would not go into reverse, would slip itself into neutral. This after being stopped at a red light, accelerating when it turned green, only to hear a loud clunk and lurch forward. Drove home 1 min and into garage. Tried to back it out later to take it back in for service and would not go into reverse. Car has been back at dealership for 10 days now, a full 1/3 of the time I have owned it. Chrysler Group Resolution team member is sending a new transmission to be put in my brand new car. I do not feel safe in this car, nor do I have any faith the problem will be fixed. Not a random factory problem, as I have read many posts of people having the same troubles. Do not want a quick fix, want my money back on a top of the line vehicle with major troubles right of the starting gate.

#48 ·
New 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit is now 27 days old. On day 18 it had to be towed out of my garage as it would not go into reverse, would slip itself into neutral. This after being stopped at a red light, accelerating when it turned green, only to hear a loud clunk and lurch forward. Drove home 1 min and into garage. Tried to back it out later to take it back in for service and would not go into reverse. Car has been back at dealership for 10 days now, a full 1/3 of the time I have owned it. Chrysler Group Resolution team member is sending a new transmission to be put in my brand new car. I do not feel safe in this car, nor do I have any faith the problem will be fixed. Not a random factory problem, as I have read many posts of people having the same troubles. Do not want a quick fix, want my money back on a top of the line vehicle with major troubles right of the starting gate.
My ex-wifes had the same issue from what it sounds like as hers would not go into gear either. They gave her another car and kept the broken one(which to me is a much better solution for someone who just spent over $40k on a NEW car). Maybe they will do the same for you? It seems unfair to make you drive around with car that had major surgery less than a month after it was sold. I don't know about a refund with one issue as most lemon law agreements state you have to have three attempts to fix the same problem. I am guessing there is a batch of bad transmissions. I hope the second car she got will avoid the issue. Best of luck on yours. It would be interesting to know the production date of the car she had and yours to see if they were made around the same time. I know the one they gave as a replacement was older as the inventory number was 500 lower than the original car.

#52 ·
Notice some of these people have a single post and never come back, can you say troll, yes I knew you could.

I am sure some folks have problems but thru internet amplification, it gets blown out of proportion.

My local Mopar store gives free loaners on any repair, I know a couple techs and some of the stuff they do to keep customers happy amazes me

I would assume as long as Jeep gives the folks a good loaner and the dealer communicates to the customer, it should be handled.

Maybe people need to go talk to the service manager before they buy their Jeep and ask how it would be handled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.