2014 - GC - V6 Towing Capacity - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 - GC - V6 Towing Capacity

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #16
loveracing1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post

Not necessarily.

We REGULARLY get 19-20 mpg in mixed conditions but mostly local and rarely if ever 18 or less, and we've gotten 26-27 mpg on long distance road trips with maybe ONLY 24 if we're keeping speeds up above 70-80 mph.
Congrats, you have a unicorn. With the cruise set at 70 on nice flat ground the bet we have gotten in 23.5 mpg.

loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #17
yangmbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmannx View Post
so Jeep is now claiming a 6200lb towing capacity on the V6 (with tow package) - thanks in large part to the 8 speed transmission.

Has anyone had experience yet towing with the V6 ? - I am wanting to get away from a V8 2011 Chevy Tahoe - I only tow about 6-8 times a year (5000 lb trailer) and most my driving is around town - so a V6 is what I am looking at simply for better MPG

thanks for any feedback.
for towing and more MPG,get Diesel,might be better choice
yangmbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #18
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
Congrats, you have a unicorn. With the cruise set at 70 on nice flat ground the bet we have gotten in 23.5 mpg.
The key is 65 and not 70, at least for the WK2, that's what I've found.

So it's not a unicorn, it's simple physics and use (speed and NO cruise control, as that tends to be waster if you're conservative about throttle management).

And to be clear, we've done it multiple times (trips to OBX and back again) with the thing FULLY loaded - 5 people, cargo area filled to the top.
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #19
Camping

Jeep GC Towing Capacity Falsely Advertised

Quote:
so Jeep is now claiming a 6200lb towing capacity on the V6 (with tow package) - thanks in large part to the 8 speed transmission.

Has anyone had experience yet towing with the V6 ? - I am wanting to get away from a V8 2011 Chevy Tahoe - I only tow about 6-8 times a year (5000 lb trailer) and most my driving is around town - so a V6 is what I am looking at simply for better MPG

thanks for any feedback.
I have had multiple engineers confirm these facts about Jeep falsely advertising their towing capacity. This problem exists on all the Jeep Grand Cherokee 2011, 2012, & 2013's with a Pentastar V6 engine. Jeep advertises that it is rated to tow 5000 lbs. Jeep has had their engineers give press releases defining the conditions under which they tested the towing capacity. The conditions were up the back side of Colorado's Eisenhower hill and also on the Davis Dam hill, while maintaining a minimum speed of 45mph with 90 degree plus outside temperature.

In actual testing with multiple dealerships and diagnostic equipment, using about 4000 lbs. and a low profile trailer to eliminate wind drag, the Jeep Grand Cherokee repeatedly failed to tow, and without any dash warnings dropped the engine RPM to less than 3000 and would not exceed 29 mph. Prior to the sudden "Engine protect mode" the Pentastar engine was gaining speed past 65mph up the slope.

Jeep explains this by saying the vehicle was advertised to tow UP to 5000 lbs. and it is operating the way it was designed. They refuse to address the FALSE ADVERTISING. This is the same logic that is used to excuse a tire that is rated to 115 mph and consistently blows up when you go 80 mph, or they rate your gas tank UP to 24 gallons and you can never put in more than 18 even when empty.

On the 2014 model, jeep has finally corrected the errors and installed a heavy duty fan (850 Watt), heavy duty radiator, and heavy duty alternator (220 amp) with the same Pentastar V6 Engine. Jeep has now upgraded the stated towing capacity to 6200 lbs. for the 2014. This proves that the Pentastar V6 engine was never the problem, but that not keeping the radiator cool was what caused it to go into engine protect mode.

The 2011, 2012, & 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee models all have a standard fan (350 Watt), standard radiator, and standard alternator (180 amp) I have not tested the 2014, but do believe the Pentastar V6 engine has sufficient torque and horsepower with proper cooling, to tow at least 5000 lbs. due to the fact that mine would tow 4000 lbs. up slope and gain speed past 65 mph until it hit the 3rd line (not the 4th line) on the temperature gauge and shuts the engine rpm down.

Jeep does not care that they have falsely advertised their product as long as they don't have to pay for it. Every customer that bought an effected jeep should have their jeep fixed with the proper parts through a class action suit. Before that happens, customers needs to state the facts to jeep and demand that they fix the problem. Customers also need to post the specifics as complaints so that others will join in.
Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 05:21 AM   #20
pwrdbym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daroost30 View Post
I tow the boat weekly but its only about 200 yards from my house to the launch ramp. The 200 yards is a fairly steep hill. This will be my everyday car so ideally I'd like to have the V6 over the V8 for fuel efficiency purposes.
200 yards? Buy a used tractor and a Mazda 3 for commuting! No, seriously if that is all you're talking about towing then I think the V6 is just fine.
I have the V8 and I tow a 5-6k lb car trailer regularly. All I can say is there is no way I'd want the V6. Others may disagree, but the V8 even struggles at times with that load. This is all towing longer distances, so you need to ask yourself how often you plan to do that. If you think you need the V8 then just keep the Tahoe, as a previous Suburban owner I promise the V8 CG does no better on gas.
pwrdbym is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #21
Dmannx

Quote from a local dealer -
" The Tow Rating for the 2014 Grand Cherokee V6 is 6,200 lbs. Jeep is usually very conservative in their tow ratings. So when they say it will tow 6,200 that is what it can tow no doubt. "

Is Jeep generally "conservative" on tow ratings ??
Dmannx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #22
rkilner
2014 WK 

Just took delivery of a 2014 JGC Limited (w/ V6 Pentastar, tow & 4x4 package) last month.

Took road trip last week (Stuart, FL to Key West) 608 miles, avg. MPG was 25.3 (not bad for a vehicle claiming 6200 lb tow capacity), did not tow boat on this trip.

Towed 22' Center Console boat around town over weekend (approx. 4700 lbs w/ boat, dual axle trailer, engine, fuel & accessories). Vehicle did not seem to have any problem with this load (tranny temp stayed around 203F, coolant temp rose to 222F at highest point about 20 or so degrees hotter than w/out load, the little amount of research I have down shows V6 Pentastar is fine up to 230F. Vehicle had plenty of power/traction to pull boat out of ramp w/out putting transfer case in 4 Low, Vehicle has no "Tow Mode" per say, called Jeep direct & they advised to tow in the sport mode, which i did, vehicle never made it out of 4th gear around town, will update my experience when I tow the boat on highway for roadtrip.

rkilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #23
rkilner
2014 WK 

Pic of rig for above post
jeep-boat.jpg

Unread 08-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #24
rkilner
2014 WK 

FYI, was originally going to buy a Tahoe, but test drove 2014 JGC V-8 for comparison then found out the 2014 JGC V-6 had the increased tow capacity with the benefit of better MPG, getting away from the V-8 JGC I upgraded to a 4x4 on the V-6 model figuring that if I have problems on a steep or slippery boat ramp in can engage the 4 Low to get me out of trouble trading increased traction over hp/torque. Happy with my decision so far, if I baby the vehicle around town I have been able to hit a 21 MPG Avg. at best, pretty content with that as this encompasses about 95% of my driving, additionaly if you don't care about MPG the V6 in "Sport Mode" has plenty of acceleration (at least in my opinion) and if you want more out od it you can use the paddle shifters.

Hope all this feedback helps
Unread 08-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #25
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Quote from a local dealer -
" The Tow Rating for the 2014 Grand Cherokee V6 is 6,200 lbs. Jeep is usually very conservative in their tow ratings. So when they say it will tow 6,200 that is what it can tow no doubt. "

Is Jeep generally "conservative" on tow ratings ??
My observation in my career with the industry is that with the exception of the max numbers on the bigger pickups MOST SUV numbers are generally conservative and less in the US than identically equipped models would be overseas in a less litigious environment.
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #26
chilbolt

My Grand Cherokee is a 2011 with the 3.6. I have a K&N cold air intake as well as a Magnaflow cat back system. I have towed my 25' pontoon with a 115 hp motor (on a bunk trailer) 60 miles down the highway. The jeep was most comfortable cruising around 55 mph and i would not highway tow this on a regular basis,only because my boat rides higher than and wider than my jeep (lots of drag). If I had a v-haul like your wake setter it would not be a problem. The Jeep DOES easily launch and retrieve the boat. Do not hesitate to utilize the V6 for your boat.
chilbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 06:40 AM   #27
JeepJeep2012
2012 WK 

Unless for very short distances I would not go over 5,000 lbs. The problem with a Jeep as a tow vehicle it it's short wheelbase. A long heavy trailer can over power the Jeep traveling at speeds and high winds make it even worse.
JeepJeep2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #28
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmannx

thanks for any feedback.
You will be sorry leaving a longer wheelbase to shorter wheel base in towing aspects. It makes a difference. Engine wise, my rule is always go with the biggest available if your towing. Do research on the SAE J2807 towing standard and ask the dealer why haven't they applied that standard. Notice Toyota's towing specs went down after they applied the standard. Towing specs are a numbers game of one manufacture ups the amount due to the competitor in some cases.

FYI, 5.7l MDS Hemi is used in the Grand Cherokee along with the 545RFE transmission which where used in the RAM HD (5.7l non MDS) until the 6 speed came out. If I where to get one I would get one with the tried and true 545RFE.
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #29
oldmac1
2014 WK 

I have had 3 Hemi's and if I were to tow 5k and some hills were involved I would definitely buy another Hemi. That said my boat weighs less than 3k and is towed to the lake and back once each year. Don't even feel the boat on these hills in Western Pa with the Hemi. Just picked up a Overland V6 recently and my overall mileage went from 15 to 22mpg with 2k miles (owned it 3 weeks now) on the 2014 in ECO mode. Put a aftermarket air filter on it and it sport mode it will perform close to my 07 non mds Hemi. So I anticipate no problem pulling the boat in Sport Mode at all. The V6 with the 8 speed transmission is wonderful to drive and I would assume the Hemi is much better than my 09 or 11 Hemi's also. I also agree with the Commander's comment about feeling the difference in auto sizes so my guess is you would be happier with the Hemi. Hemi's are wonderful towing engines.

14 GC Overland
12 Liberty
08 Rubicon Unlimited
oldmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #30
oldmac1
2014 WK 

Just an update to say that my V6 towed my 2500+ lbs boat up and down these hills in Western Pa with ease, and I was surprised how easy it was to do this with this engine. Put it in drive with ECO off and had plenty of power, tried Sport mode and did not really need it. Did not try passing people going uphill like I did in the Hemi's but felt like it would do it easily. If I were towing more than 4k lbs I think I would get another Hemi but for me this V6 felt great pulling my current boat. My mileage dropped from 22 to 19.6 which I think is wonderful.

14 GC Overland
12 Liberty
08 Rubicon Unlimited
oldmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.