2014 GC with V6 AND 8 SPEED. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 GC with V6 AND 8 SPEED.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-24-2014, 06:40 AM   #1
SKYLORDD

2014 GC with V6 AND 8 SPEED.

Has anyone had any issues with the 8 speed auto trans ? Since they did an update a year ago ive had nothing but problems with trans. refuses to downshift, hard shifting , etc etc.

SKYLORDD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2014, 06:45 AM   #2
TurboRush

There have been several TSBs to improve and enhance shifting - many a thread on it to. The latest TSB which was issued in December has been very well received: http://wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_2100713c.pdf

Feel free to search around since this is your first post - there is lots of information.
TurboRush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2014, 07:16 AM   #3
SKYLORDD

Ive had every update that Chrysler has been able to come up with , and no improvement. Vehicle does not throw a code so they have no idea how to deal with it. I'm ready to go the Lemon Law route on them tired of the hard shifts, slipping shifts , no down shifts. the 8 spd is a piece of trash as it stands in my vehicle.
Unread 02-24-2014, 08:50 AM   #4
kloubik
2014 WK 

Can you give us more details please? Do you have the issues in all modes? ECO ON, OFF and Sport mode? Also, do you know exactly what TSB revision you have installed? The latest update is Rev. C.

I also was very unhappy with the performance of the transmission but only in ECO mode ON. The latest update Rev. C corrected 90 % of my complaints and although I still wish we had the option to turn ohe ECO mode OFF completely I can live with how it drives/shifts now.

edit: the reason I am asking if you know what revision you have installed is that my Chrysler dealer goes only by TSB number and it took me a while to convince them that there is difference between Version A, B and C although all is issued under the same TSB number. They insisted that I have the latest TSB and did not want to do another update. I had to print everything for them, show them the date the TSB Rev. C was released after my last visit etc.
kloubik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2014, 09:10 AM   #5
TurboRush

When was the last time it was in the shop for a flash? We've seen multiple people who have had their dealer say they have the latest when they really don't - have you opened a case with Corporate?
TurboRush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2014, 09:28 AM   #6
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

How many miles on the vehicle? I own a 2014 g/c v6 8 speed and have had all transmission updates and it works well except if I start and drive with it in very cold weather without letting it warm up about 5 minutes, usually 1st shift from 1st to 2nd is a little clunk but then goes away and doesn't happen in warm weather at all. If you've had all the updates and let it warm up about 5 minutes, does it do the same things? If it does, seems you have an issue with the transmission itself.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2014, 03:31 PM   #7
SKYLORDD

Chrysler Corporate has been handling this since day one. They wont let the dealership fart without their approval. Even told my Service rep to not talk to me and assigned me a corporate person , who I must say is very rude (female). As far as I know chrysler has done all the updates that are available. Dealer Gen Manager wanted to take everything out and start from scratch as there was no problems until they did the first update. (Chrysler wouldnt let him allow his people to do it.) Then everything went to crap. Dealer told me to always run in ECO. The Ist to 2nd shift the first shift of the day is horrible, It launches you against the seat when it shifts but after that its good the rest of the trip. I let it warm up as much as 15 minutes If you let the vehicle sit for 8 hrs it will do it again. It does this whether its cold outside or hot. Have had the vehicle almost a year now and have been fighting this battle. I asked for a new trans ( NO WAY) we arent getting any code. It seems that the problem arises when the vehicle is driven over 3 hrs. ( the sticking in a certain gear and wont come out and recently it has taken to automatically coming out of D (drive) and going into 7 or 8. which almost got me killed by a semi when I was merging in atlanta. the car wouldnt down shift and had to swerve off the road to keep from getting run over. Wife took car up to mountains in VA and it got stuck in one gear coming down a hill and wouldnt come out until she pulled off and shut vehicle off and started back up then it was ok. It also wouldnt climb the hills going up as it stayed in a high gear until it almost stalled and refused to downshift. Thankfully she made it to the top before it ran out of momentum. BUT IT DOESNT THROW A CODE so Chrysler says thers no problem. I 'm ready for the LEMON LAW/.
Unread 02-24-2014, 04:01 PM   #8
SKYLORDD

Was advised by service rep that the revision C is for 4 wheel drive models and the transfer case . Doesnt apply to 4x2 models
Unread 02-24-2014, 07:57 PM   #9
Bullheadbud
2014 WK 

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYLORDD View Post
Chrysler Corporate has been handling this since day one. They wont let the dealership fart without their approval. Even told my Service rep to not talk to me and assigned me a corporate person , who I must say is very rude (female). As far as I know chrysler has done all the updates that are available. Dealer Gen Manager wanted to take everything out and start from scratch as there was no problems until they did the first update. (Chrysler wouldnt let him allow his people to do it.) Then everything went to crap. Dealer told me to always run in ECO. The Ist to 2nd shift the first shift of the day is horrible, It launches you against the seat when it shifts but after that its good the rest of the trip. I let it warm up as much as 15 minutes If you let the vehicle sit for 8 hrs it will do it again. It does this whether its cold outside or hot. Have had the vehicle almost a year now and have been fighting this battle. I asked for a new trans ( NO WAY) we arent getting any code. It seems that the problem arises when the vehicle is driven over 3 hrs. ( the sticking in a certain gear and wont come out and recently it has taken to automatically coming out of D (drive) and going into 7 or 8. which almost got me killed by a semi when I was merging in atlanta. the car wouldnt down shift and had to swerve off the road to keep from getting run over. Wife took car up to mountains in VA and it got stuck in one gear coming down a hill and wouldnt come out until she pulled off and shut vehicle off and started back up then it was ok. It also wouldnt climb the hills going up as it stayed in a high gear until it almost stalled and refused to downshift. Thankfully she made it to the top before it ran out of momentum. BUT IT DOESNT THROW A CODE so Chrysler says thers no problem. I 'm ready for the LEMON LAW/.
Horrible experience. Seems like the Dealer has put you between a rock and a hard place. You may have to hire an attorney or at least warn them of pending lawsuit in future if matter is not resolved to your satisfaction. Keep us posted.
Bullheadbud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2014, 04:02 AM   #10
SKYLORDD

The dealer has actually tried to resolve the issue. It's Chrysler that has been the one to refuse to do anything. I asked that they replace the transmission but all they want to do is put it on the machine and monitor it. And do updates. I didnt realize it but the dealer cant touch a new car unless the factory approves what theyre doing... first. I guess Chrysler figures that they can cut down on excessive parts being replaced by being the one to approve any thing being replaced.
Unread 02-25-2014, 07:01 AM   #11
loveracing1988

Start documenting this, record video's of the trans acting up to use as evidence if it does end up going to court. If you have proof the trans is acting up they have to do something.
loveracing1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2014, 08:18 AM   #12
joeyvaz

I would contact Chrysler's corporate office and speak to someone there. When you speak to them, inform them that you are recording your conversation for future reference (you have to let them know if you plan to use it as evidence in a legal matter) Go over everything from day one-what you are experiencing, the attempts by the dealer, what the dealer is stating Chrysler is wanting them to to do, etc. And after every failed attempt, make a call to the corporate office to discuss and monitor your situation. Eventually, they will replace the transmission. You are doing your part and they will give in. Happened to me my Audi S8 engine. And that was a HUGE bill that Audi had to suck up.
joeyvaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 05:07 PM   #13
JeepInTC
2014 WK 

I just picked mine up two weeks ago and have put 250 miles on it (started at 9). No problems when accelerating (very smooth, especially from 3-8) but very disappointing upshifts (downshifts? I always get it confused) when I coast/deccelerate. It's so bad when going from from 6-3 that the mini-lurches with each shift essentially bring the coasting vehicle to a halt if I take my foot off the gas.

Will this get any better? My vehicle was built in January 14, so I would think it would have the latest "flashes," etc.
JeepInTC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 10:27 AM   #14
Ah673000
2002 WJ 

Just left the dealer for the latest " flash ".....

Shifts are silky smooth up and down.

Especially helped the 2 to 1 shift
Ah673000 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 03:42 PM   #15
JeepGC6855
2014 WK 

I've had my 2014 Grand Cherokee for just about a year now and the transmission has been perfectly smooth with upshifts and downshifts since the day I bought it. I never feel the downshifts and only feel the upshifts when accelerating quickly. The dealership did an update on the transmission when it was about 6 month old, but nothing changed. It runs great with the ECO on and doesn't seem to change when I turn it off. I probably have only briefly turned it off twice, didn't notice a change so I would turn it back on.
JeepGC6855 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.