2014 GC Uconnect add device problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 GC Uconnect add device problem

2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black (Paint to Match) Grille2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black Sun Shade (Rugged Ridge)Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
UplandGuide
2014 WK 

2014 GC Uconnect add device problem

Not sure if this has been addressed previously. I can add my RAZR to uconnect on my 2014 Jeep GC. It pairs OK. Access to phonebook seems OK. Plays music from RAZR OK. Can call out OK. But, when I shut the car off it appears it drops the RAZR (and my wifes DroidX)....so, next time starting the GC no devices have been added. You have to add your phone in again each time you start the GC. What gives? Help appreciated.

Unread 03-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
jamiew8

I bought my 14 GC last week and took it back to the dealership yesterday for this very reason. They kept it overnight to research and just called me to tell me it is a software problem that Chrysler is aware of. They are currently working on an update to the software but there is no timeframe for when it will be completed. Very frustrating.
jamiew8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
UplandGuide
2014 WK 

This is BS. You purchase a $40,000 plus Jeep and it has a problem (software problem Chrysler is working on - is this rocket science?) connecting devices via the Uconnect? My RAZR works in my VW, works in my F150 and worked in my 2012 Jeep GC.
Unread 03-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
jamiew8

I just went to the Jeep website and emailed them about this issue. Hopefully if enough people complain it will speed up the remedy. I guess this is one of those problems that people always warn about when you buy a new model the first year that it comes out or is redesigned.
jamiew8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
bilbo_28
2014 WK 

I have registered my Samsung Galaxy S3 on my 8.4AN/RA4 when I first got my '14 and I have not had any issues with the phone being dropped. What radio do you have? Doesn't really help you, but maybe its just a thing with older phones? jamiew8, what phone / radio do you have?
bilbo_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
GCZ
2014 WK 

Works great with my iphone 5.

Have had some issues with the ipod interface and voice recognition but I'm still not sure it's not user error.
GCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
VinnieTheFish
2014 WK 

I'm having the same problem. Just bought a 2014 Laredo with the Uconnect 5.0 on Sunday & I have an Apple iPhone 4 running 6.1.3. This was also happening when I had 6.1.2 running as well for the OS. The wife has a 2012 Grand Cherokee Laredo and the Uconnect works fine without any pairing issues.

What's odd is that after you power the vehicle off it's like it forgets the bluetooth pairing info. I tried shutting the phone off/on and even turning bluetooth on/of to no avail. When I go back into the Uconnect system and then try to pair a new device it shows up as a new device all together and a new random string of numbers for the passcode. I tried removing all previous entries of Uconnect away from the bluetooth menu and it still shows up. So the end result is every time I turn on the vehicle I have to restart the pairing process over again to make it work properly. My phone now show 8 entries of Uconnect on my iPhone and each time I pair it shows up as a new bluetooth device most likely from the random characters it generates for the passcode.

Next week the Jeep will be in the shop as the dealer is going to install the tow package/wiring as part of the negotiated deal. If they flash the Uconnect and resolve the issue I'll report back. Until then hopefully JeepCares can chime in if there is a known fix for this issue.

Other than that no problems with the 2014 Jeep so far. Minor headache but hey software bugs show up all the time so I'm not worried.
'96 ZJ 4.0L 4x4 NP242 *** SOLD @ 223k miles & still running***
VinnieTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 07:03 AM   #8
bilbo_28
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UplandGuide View Post
This is BS. You purchase a $40,000 plus Jeep and it has a problem (software problem Chrysler is working on - is this rocket science?) connecting devices via the Uconnect?
Do you expect them to test every phone that has bluetooth, whichever version and operating system..... it's not gonna happen. No company ever tests everything, does not matter what product or the cost.

Someone has found this issue since the radio has been released and they are working on it, what else do you expect?
Unread 03-29-2013, 07:13 AM   #9
UplandGuide
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo_28 View Post
Do you expect them to test every phone that has bluetooth, whichever version and operating system..... it's not gonna happen. No company ever tests everything, does not matter what product or the cost.

Someone has found this issue since the radio has been released and they are working on it, what else do you expect?
Bluetooth connectivity is not new. It's a very important feature in an auto these days. My RAZR phone is not a new phone.....and it connects OK to my F150 and my wife's VW Sportwagen (her phone, DroidX, also does not connect properly to my 2014 GC uconnect). My RAZR and the DroidX both worked fine in my 2012 Jeep GC. I expect the uconnect in my Jeep to function properly from the gitgo. It does not. Then again, I also expected the Pentastar in my 2012 GC to function flawlessly.....it did not.
Unread 03-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #10
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Omg omg

Quote:
Bluetooth connectivity is not new. It's a very important feature in an auto these days. My RAZR phone is not a new phone.....and it connects OK to my F150 and my wife's VW Sportwagen (her phone, DroidX, also does not connect properly to my 2014 GC uconnect). My RAZR and the DroidX both worked fine in my 2012 Jeep GC. I expect the uconnect in my Jeep to function properly from the gitgo. It does not. Then again, I also expected the Pentastar in my 2012 GC to function flawlessly.....it did not.
Shouldnt be talking and driving on your phone even with Bluetooth. Nothing is that important. Folks drove cars for decades w/o cell phones and ddint ahve any problems.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #11
UplandGuide
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
Shouldnt be talking and driving on your phone even with Bluetooth. Nothing is that important. Folks drove cars for decades w/o cell phones and ddint ahve any problems.
Whether it's proper to use Bluetooth technolology while driving...or not.....that's not what this thread is about. It's about a software bug in my new 2014 Jeep GC Uconnect. Chrysler has managed to put a "bug" in technology that has been perfected for years.
Unread 03-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #12
jgiuliani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti

What's the difference between that and talking to a passenger?
jgiuliani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #13
bilbo_28
2014 WK 

Quote:
Bluetooth connectivity is not new. It's a very important feature in an auto these days.
Quote:
Chrysler has managed to put a "bug" in technology that has been perfected for years.
I understand bluetooth is not new, infact that is your problem, there is not just one bluetooth as I gues you believe, the technology has changed over the last 14 years when v1.1 was released. The Motorola Razr v3xx used bluetooth 2.0, the current phones use bluetooth 4.0 which was adopted as the standard in 2010.

The radio you are trying to connect to was designed in the last few years and probably was tested using current technology and the last version, ie, bluetooth v3.0 thru v4.0.

You also can't listen to music in your 2014 on tape because that technology is outdated also, but you accept that and updated your music to CD or MP3, unfortunately technology changes, thats how we get new toys to play with.
Unread 03-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #14
bilbo_28
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
They also drove without GPS and music, but I bet you use those?
Unread 03-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #15
VinnieTheFish
2014 WK 

Let's get back on topic here please. There is a reported problem, several phones identified and affects 2014 WK2 with the factory Uconnect.

Relevant replies at this point should be people weighing in with their phone model, OS version and which radio they have to see if it works properly or also has the problem. Beyond that it should be people who found a solution to the issue via dealership, software update, etc.

Anything else is off topic and not helpful to finding a solution to the problem so take it to another thread. Thanks.
'96 ZJ 4.0L 4x4 NP242 *** SOLD @ 223k miles & still running***
VinnieTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.