2014 GC lost power to instrument cluster - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 GC lost power to instrument cluster

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 07-31-2013, 06:07 PM   #16
dragginNCrds
2009 WK 

i work for a wrecker service and we do a lot of different types of cars.. well the other day i went and towed a Range Rover that is stating the same problem yahll are having.. the screen for the gauges shutting completely down.. and they ended up having to replace the cluster and the PCM to get it to quit doing it.. just a thought for you guys.. hopefully chrysler will figure out how to fix this issue because obviously its not just one vehicle doing it..

dragginNCrds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:35 PM   #17
rhopkin
2014 WK 

Same issue Analog speedo missing numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytlovers View Post
The other night as I switched from the Digital speedometer to the analog display, the numbers disappeared. I tried cycling through the displays but could not get the analog screen to show the MPH numbers. Parked the car in the garage and next morning everything seemed to be working correctly. Dealer has never heard of this problem before.
The same thing happened to me tonight. BTW the "needle" still was deflecting but just no numbers. Parked in garage went in the house and came out 2 mins later all was OK. I am not at 13.19.0 but the vehicle is going to the dealer next week. I will be sure to have them put on the update (As I cannot find it anywhere else) Does anyone know where to download it?
rhopkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 08:15 PM   #18
jacko15
2014 WK 

It happened to me once a couple of months ago. Cleared up later that day. No problem since. If it happens a second time I might call the dealer.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #19
Ausa
2001 WJ 

this is the same problem that Jeep has had since at least 2000. The instrument cluster simply stops operating. My WJ has ongoing cluster problems and there was even a recall of some models. How about creating some kind of petition and sending it to Jeep?
Ausa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 02:48 AM   #20
pwrdbym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpecervisia View Post
The service guy said he'd never seen or heard of the problem.
Throughout the history of car repair, no service guy has ever heard of the problem you're having.
pwrdbym is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #21
Stratcat70
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
For 2014 all the electronics and wiring in the Grand Cherokee is supplied by Lucas! Magnetti Marelli was deemed to unreliable in testing.
What electronics? Some people keep saying this, and it's not true. There are MANY suppliers to the GC. I know for fact, since the PCM is made by my company, Continental A.G., a German owned company. I even made some SW changes to it. We also make the instrument cluster. The infotainment is made by Harmon, I believe an American company with some German connections (Harmon-Kardon). Yes, Fiat would like to increase share of Italian suppliers, but to say ALL electronics is not correct.
Stratcat70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #22
Mwessman

At dealer now

Having same problem. Called Jeep and they say there has been no issues. This is my second time at dealer. First dasboard issue all my warning lights lit and then all dead including uconnect...no backup camera, navagation, nothing. Everything comes back on after a couple hours and several restarts. Dealer said they couldn't find problem. Waiting to see if they find anything this time. I will keep u posted.
Mwessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #23
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

I guess you arent old enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratcat70 View Post
What electronics? Some people keep saying this, and it's not true. There are MANY suppliers to the GC. I know for fact, since the PCM is made by my company, Continental A.G., a German owned company. I even made some SW changes to it. We also make the instrument cluster. The infotainment is made by Harmon, I believe an American company with some German connections (Harmon-Kardon). Yes, Fiat would like to increase share of Italian suppliers, but to say ALL electronics is not correct.
To get the joke. Although these days Lucas supplies electronics to commercial airlines which is even more scary. So its you fault the instrument cluster in 2014 models cuts out???
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #24
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti

To get the joke. Although these days Lucas supplies electronics to commercial airlines which is even more scary. So its you fault the instrument cluster in 2014 models cuts out???
It is totally different standards when comparing aviation to automotive. margin of error, calibration and redundancy
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #25
Rikki475

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk52 View Post
Just had the same problem with our 2014 limited. Instrument cluster went out half way home. Everything came back on after shutting it off, unloading some things, and then starting it back up to put into garage. Anyone have this happen more than once?
Exactly the same thing happened with my 2014 Loredo today. Stopped on side of road restarted car, still no instrument function. Later went into a store came back out, restarted. Everything was working again.
Rikki475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #26
mikegnz
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytlovers View Post
I hope this works: here is a picture of my instrument panel when the numbers disappeared on the analog speedometer
Had the same thing happen to me. Twice in the 2.5 months I've had the car. Switching to the "digital" speedo readout works, but "analog" readout doesn't come back until car is reset. (shutting car off and opening door to completely shut off electronics)

Mentioned to dealer when they did software update for UCONNECT... they said everything seemed to be working fine and to bring it back if it happened again.
The thing to keep in mind (especially with electronics) is that the guys at the dealership are just basic mechanics. Most of which aren't even GOOD mechanics. They just go by whatever the manual says they should do. (this isn't even a knock against Jeep, most dealerships for most brands are like this)

The mechanics aren't electrical engineers, so any malfunctions that are inconsistent and that there is no instructions from Chrysler for, they will be clueless as to what/how to handle.
mikegnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #27
Mwessman

Update. Dealer couldn't find anything wrong. Also have this irritating rattling sound in dash area. They couldnt't fix that either. Dealer mechanic contacted Jeep and they called me a d apologized for the inconvenience. They will contact mechanic and schedule an appointment so the mechanics can take another look. They will get me a rental. If they can't fix the problem when I take it i. i don't see how this is the answer. Frustrated.
Mwessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #28
Stratcat70
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
So its you fault the instrument cluster in 2014 models cuts out???
I went asking around, since the clusters are a different group than the one I work in. Turns out my company doesn't make them, but rather a supplier Nippon Seiki.
It might not even be the cluster itself anyhow. If the cluster is not getting the correct message over the CAN communications bus, then it won't display correctly.
Stratcat70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #29
Carpecervisia
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwessman View Post
Update. Dealer couldn't find anything wrong. Also have this irritating rattling sound in dash area. They couldnt't fix that either. Dealer mechanic contacted Jeep and they called me a d apologized for the inconvenience. They will contact mechanic and schedule an appointment so the mechanics can take another look. They will get me a rental. If they can't fix the problem when I take it i. i don't see how this is the answer. Frustrated.
I believe there was another thread on a dash rattle. Something to do with a cable for the glove comparment.
Carpecervisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 07:05 AM   #30
jacko15
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwessman View Post
Don't know the particulars of your vehicle, but this may help with dash rattle:
File Type: pdf tsb_wk2_1900113.pdf (222.4 KB, 73 views)
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.