JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/)
-   -   2014 GC lost power to instrument cluster (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/2014-gc-lost-power-instrument-cluster-1534258/)

Carpecervisia 06-09-2013 01:36 PM

2014 GC lost power to instrument cluster

I was driving my 2014 JGC today when I glanced down and notice that the instrument cluster was dead. The screen was blank, and the tach, fuel and engine temp gages were all at zero and not responding.

I was five minutes from home so I kept going and parked. Shut off the GC and than ran it though two start / stop cycles. After I turned it off for the third time suddenly the power came back on and everything seemed normal.

Any one have experience with this? I'll probably take it to the dealer tomorrow but I know if the problem isn't there they'll just tell me that there's nothing they can do.

wintersnowman 06-10-2013 09:57 AM

Grand Cherokee instrument cluster blank

Yes, we had the same problem with our 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. We were driving and looked down and everything blank on the instrument cluster- all gauges at zero and no speedometer, etc. We pulled over and stop/start the engine several times. Nothing. Then we drove to our destination, and came back out an hour later. The instruments were back on, no more issue. Since, we've driven for two days and it has not happened again.

However, the Jeep is at the dealer now getting looked over. We previously had an issue with a ringing sound coming from the area of the steering column/dash. See this thread on ********** for more info on that:

http://www.**********.org/f73/2013-j...ork-59796.html

The dealer looked at the problem and was not able to recreate the sound. But we think someone must have fixed something because the sound has gone away.

For the current issue with the instrument cluster, the dealer is going to take a detailed look over the whole vehicle because they don't want to see us again until our scheduled service. We asked them to check the diagnostics, computers, etc. and be sure to update any firmware on UConnect. Hopefully this is the last issue we have, because we love our new Jeep.

wintersnowman 06-10-2013 10:00 AM

Redacted

Hahaha! Competing websites get disappeared. Head over to Jeep Garaje or Jeep Cochera para mas informacion.

Carpecervisia 06-10-2013 10:36 AM

Thanks. I did check out your thread on jeepg@r@ge and it sounds like it's the same issue that I had. Luckily I do not have the annoying buzzing that you reported.

I did track down the fuses for the instrument cluster and they seemed fine and in place so I don't think that was the problem. I'm dreading that Jeep has started using Italian electrical engineers because hunting down electrical gremlins is a nightmare. However, with 97 people viewing this post, and you being the only one to report a similar problem, perhaps this is a rare glitch.

BetaThetaPirate 06-11-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carpecervisia (Post 15539146)
I was driving my 2014 JGC today when I glanced down and notice that the instrument cluster was dead. The screen was blank, and the tach, fuel and engine temp gages were all at zero and not responding.

I was five minutes from home so I kept going and parked. Shut off the GC and than ran it though two start / stop cycles. After I turned it off for the third time suddenly the power came back on and everything seemed normal.

Any one have experience with this? I'll probably take it to the dealer tomorrow but I know if the problem isn't there they'll just tell me that there's nothing they can do.

I drove to work like this. It was about 3 weeks after I bought the car. I tried turning it on and off and on and off and nothing happened. Parked it, went to work, came back and it was running a-ok. Has not happened since.

Maybe it's the car hazing us, and it wont happen again since we are Jeep fraternity brothers now. :fear:

jacko15 06-11-2013 04:03 PM

Don't know if it has been mentioned, but you need to open the door to totally shut down the electronics. Just turning ignition off won't do it.

Dave2002ti 06-11-2013 04:09 PM

Lucas

For 2014 all the electronics and wiring in the Grand Cherokee is supplied by Lucas! Magnetti Marelli was deemed to unreliable in testing.

stevebanzai 06-13-2013 09:35 AM

Ive had the UConnect screen shut down while driving a few times.

jmk52 06-14-2013 07:36 PM

Just had the same problem with our 2014 limited. Instrument cluster went out half way home. Everything came back on after shutting it off, unloading some things, and then starting it back up to put into garage. Anyone have this happen more than once?

greytlovers 06-15-2013 12:15 PM

Electronic "Analog" Speedometer Malfunction

The other night as I switched from the Digital speedometer to the analog display, the numbers disappeared. I tried cycling through the displays but could not get the analog screen to show the MPH numbers. Parked the car in the garage and next morning everything seemed to be working correctly. Dealer has never heard of this problem before.

Dave2002ti 06-15-2013 03:11 PM

Prince Of Darkness

Mg's, TR's, Jags and Austin Healey's all used to suffer from thse types of problems back in the day.

Carpecervisia 06-17-2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave2002ti (Post 15565405)
Mg's, TR's, Jags and Austin Healey's all used to suffer from thse types of problems back in the day.

Thanks for the encouraging words...

Luckily so far the power loss hasn't reoccured. Uconnect has also been working just fine. I have an appointment with the dealer this weekend and I'll have them take a look at it. However, I'm pretty sure they'll claim that they can't do anything since it isn't happening when they see it.

Carpecervisia 06-22-2013 05:13 PM

Took the JGC back to the dealer to see if they could find the problem. Since the instrument cluster had power at the time they didn't find anything. They did check out all of the grounds as well and nothing was found there either. The service guy said he'd never seen or heard of the problem and that there wasn't anything from Chrysler about the issue.

I really wasn't expecting any different result. However, I wanted it on record that I'd reported this problem early on. This'll help get it on Chrysler's radar. Plus, just in case it happens again a month after the warranty expires, I can point to this service to prove that it was an old problem.

greytlovers 06-23-2013 11:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I hope this works: here is a picture of my instrument panel when the numbers disappeared on the analog speedometer

mjpate2 07-31-2013 04:02 PM

2014 GC Limited Lost Instrumental Cluster and Throttle Control

I was driving the day when the instrument cluster lit up like a Christmas tree with ABS, Engine, etc., lights came on. A couple minutes later I had no throttle control. I was able to pull over and restart the car (computer). Regained ability to accelerate but lights didn't disappear until next morning. The cluster started working again a few minutes after restarting.

GC has been with the dealer for 4 days and they just called saying they couldn't recreate the problem, so they couldn't do anything besides updating some software.

The time now is 06:47 AM.