2014 GC Limited w/ 18's in the sand? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 GC Limited w/ 18's in the sand?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
ericptek

2014 GC Limited w/ 18's in the sand?

We are up at the Sand Dunes in Michigan and were going to rent a dune buggy. Never considered taking the GC on the dunes due to weight, size, tires, etc but I see plenty of near stock vehicles with flags on them.

How will it due? Stock 18's, 3.6. Not expecting to go bounding over the tall dunes but at least get out and cruise around a bit. Maybe it'll due more, OVR sticker cheaper than renting a buggy or something similar.

Not sure if they charge if you get stuck and that's really my only thing, If I'm going to get out there 100' and get stuck I'd rather just rent something.

thanks

ericptek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
Kev M
2012 WK 

We've had no problems with multiple trips to the Outer Banks staying out on the dunes (meaning beach driving and crossing over decent sized dunes to get to and from the house).

We've got a 2012 Limited with stock 18's and the 3.6L.

That said, I think airing down the tires is key and it doesn't matter how good the rig, eventually you'll find something that can get it stuck, so use common sense.
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
lysol
2013 WK 

I just got back from OBX in North Carolina. I was out cruising on my stock 20's and they were fine. I just aired down to 18psi. Even in the soft stuff, I was fine. Regular sand driving tips still apply. Keep the momentum going and air down the tires. If you get stuck, don't spin the tires, etc... yada yada yada. Like Kev said, you can always get anything stuck with enough effort... or stupidity whichever way you look at it.
Unread 06-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
ericptek

Thanks for the replies.

Put the air down to about 12-13 and had no problems.

A few more questions now. At those pressures any chance of breaking the bead screwing around at low speeds?

Got out and played around a bit in the water/sand but was worried about rolling the tire enough to break the bead between the tire/rim.

Other than that was great. Just got comfortable today but going to go back tomorrow and take on some of the steeper slopes.

Unfortunately this jus re-enforced my wife wanting to buy a Wrangler as a summer toy. She wants a JK and I won't get a 3.8 and a 3.6 is still extremely pricey on the used market.
ericptek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
lysol
2013 WK 

Funny you said that because my wife wants the same thing (Jeep Rubicon Unlimited JK). lol. I just took it down to 18 psi. Then if I got stuck, I would drop it down to about 12 to get unstuck. I was able to drive on the road at 18psi for about 25 miles round trip to get some boogie boards and come back. lol. I would keep it in the back of your mind regarding breaking the bead of the tires and just try not to get too aggressive. It was pretty cool hearing the brakes apply to keep wheel spin to a minimum.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.