2014 GC Limited - V6 Pentastar vs Hemi - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 GC Limited - V6 Pentastar vs Hemi

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORClayton Off Road XJ Long Arm Suspension Systems!

Unread 03-24-2014, 06:38 AM   #1
sunildev11

2014 GC Limited - V6 Pentastar vs Hemi

Hello everyone. I am deciding in the next 48 hours which one to get. I am very excited about this new Jeep. I don't tow, and mostly drive around urban roads or the interstate. I will try to take it off-roading once in a while. I am leaning towards the v-6, but I just don't want to feel the jeep is underpowered when taking it on the highway. Would love anyone's advice here. Thanks so much.

sunildev11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2014, 06:40 AM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

You need to test drive both, as underpowered is subjective, but the V6 is certainly not underpowered.
Unread 03-24-2014, 06:43 AM   #3
chowner
2014 WK 

v6 is not under powered on the highway
chowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2014, 06:52 AM   #4
Bentwrench
2014 WK 

So true. Drive both as it is subjective.

For me, I tow a 5,200gross boat & trailer just short distances on KY hills and it does just fine on the interstate and on the ramp. As nice as the V8 would be, the gas mileage was hard to justify with towing being perhaps only 5% of my annual miles. In short, I didn't even need the V8.

With the purchase of our 2014 V6, I tried to envision if I could even live with 22-24 MPG higway in 10 years or even 5 years! My goal was 30mpg but, oh well.
Bentwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2014, 07:13 AM   #5
Deep18
2004 WJ 

Definitely test drive both. I was surprised how peppy the V6 was with the new 8 speed tranny. That said I'll still take the V8, vroom.
Unread 03-24-2014, 07:16 AM   #6
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Weight distribution and handling

V6 is lighter and isnt as long as a result a V6 WK2 is lighter and has better weight distribution so you get better handling.

Also the V6 is a more modern engine design than the Chrysler V8 which hasnt been updated like other V8s in more than decade. Dual plugs and a cast iron block are late 1950's technology.

Take a long test drive in both and see which one you like. I dont tow so I got the V6

If you really like V8s get one now since the chances of 2016 or 2017 having a V8 are slim. Think twin turbo V6 even in SRt8 to meet Federal fuel mileage regs.

One final thing it aint a real hemi.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2014, 08:14 AM   #7
jacko15
2014 WK 

Love our V6. Never feels underpowered. Takes off like a jackrabbit in sport mode. Handles like a dream for such a large and heavy vehicle. Would only consider the hemi if I was towing a large load a lot of miles.
jacko15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2014, 08:24 AM   #8
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

I have the V6 and have never regretted it. The gas mileage is decent for a big vehicle and I have no issues merging into traffic or driving up elevation (Sierra Nevada mountains).
DangFoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2014, 08:42 AM   #9
2014RedHemiGC
2014 WK 

A popular topic with lots of previous posts.... As said earlier, the 8 speed really helps the V6 perform well for such a heavy SUV. But you need to drive both for yourself.
2014RedHemiGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2014, 09:05 AM   #10
PhillyAnt

My current car is a Lincoln MKX with a V6 that pushes 305 hp. When I test drove the V6 in the Jeep, it definitely felt slower to me. I gave the hemi a try and it was a totally different experience. I don't tow, but I went for the hemi. The V6 wasn't too bad, but I would rather have the power than not have the power and regret it later. Hemi all the way!

Want to drop some LBs? I can help you. Seriously! Private message me if you want to learn how.

http://youtu.be/2f13kCFux0s
PhillyAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2014, 09:16 AM   #11
sunildev11

Thank you so much for the quick replies. I will test drive both, but I think I already know the answer. Can't wait to start driving!
sunildev11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2014, 09:34 AM   #12
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

By the way, the one thing you can't get in a V6 regardless is the QuadraDrive traction system. If you want or need QD your choice is V8 or Diesel.

Although better handling of the V6 is suggested in theory, in the real world it is insignificant (it is still a heavy SUV). QD does provide significantly better traction in snow/ice and gravel, however.

The V8 has been proven durable and reliable and provides excellent performance. Why fix something not broken? The V6 is a newer design that, like most newer designs, seems to have a couple things that need improvement. The most serious is some head manufacturing issues that have affected a small % of vehicles. Chrysler may have worked that out by now.. but there are not a whole lot of short trip high mileage vehicles about yet. Just mentioned it as some here get overly enamored with new high tech things, and forget these are basically light trucks. Light weight expensive aluminum blocks are wonderful in a Ferrari, or cars, but not so much in a truck.
Unread 03-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #13
Racer83L
2014 WK 

Personally, And this was my same thought when I bought the Charger, I did not test drive a Hemi Charger but my father still has an 05 WK with a Hemi and I have driven it plenty.

The Pentastar V6 puts out plenty of power.. My charger with its poorly geared 5 speed automatic has plenty of power, it even puts a grin on my face in the upper RPM range.

When I was looking at the Grand Cherokee (I specifically waited until 2014 for the 8 speed) I didn't even once question myself if I wanted the Hemi... I want the V6, and as it turns out the specific package I wanted only is available in V6 so it made it a quick and painless choice.
Unread 03-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #14
hemispin
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
One final thing it aint a real hemi.
And Ford's "Coyote" 5.0 L 32 valve engine isn't a real coyote.
hemispin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2014, 10:56 AM   #15
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Oh please do your research

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
By the way, the one thing you can't get in a V6 regardless is the QuadraDrive traction system. If you want or need QD your choice is V8 or Diesel.

Although better handling of the V6 is suggested in theory, in the real world it is insignificant (it is still a heavy SUV). QD does provide significantly better traction in snow/ice and gravel, however.

The V8 has been proven durable and reliable and provides excellent performance. Why fix something not broken? The V6 is a newer design that, like most newer designs, seems to have a couple things that need improvement. The most serious is some head manufacturing issues that have affected a small % of vehicles. Chrysler may have worked that out by now.. but there are not a whole lot of short trip high mileage vehicles about yet. Just mentioned it as some here get overly enamored with new high tech things, and forget these are basically light trucks. Light weight expensive aluminum blocks are wonderful in a Ferrari, or cars, but not so much in a truck.
Coldcase check out the newest and previous generation small blocks from GM for cost and reliability. Its not just a Ferrari thing any more. New high tech really aluminum blocks in V8s. Obviously you were reading National Geographic instead of R&T and playboy during the hey day of Can Am and McLaren's with Chevy big blocks that were all aluminum etc. GM small blocks for cars have been all aluminum since the late 90's and the 2014 GM pick ups and 2015 Tahoe and Yukon have aluminum blocks. The difference in costs between cast iron and aluminum negligible is no longer a major reason not to go with an aluminum block. Hell Porsche had magnesium engine cases in 911s back in late 60's and Polimotor in the mid 80's had a plastic 2.3l Ford 4 cylinder engine that weighed 120kilos less than its stock counterpart and the Ford Cosworth BDA it used in IMSA only weighed 168lbs.

Chrysler allegedly has a next generation V8 with an aluminum block.

The reason to fix something is weight loss to meet ever tougher Federal fuel mileage standards. Lets see if FCA had the talent the next generation Grand Cherokee could lose 600 to 900lbs easy with an all V8 aluminum engine and an all aluminum body etc. Even losing 200lbs with an aluminum block for the V8 would boost fleet mpgs. Next generation Grand Cherokee needs to lose weight big time or it may go bye bye. Take a look at the coming fuel mileage standards. Or FCA can just go with a V6, diesel and twin turbo V6 and scrap the V8.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.