2014 GC Laredo Owners - Happy? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 GC Laredo Owners - Happy?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 05-07-2014, 09:28 PM   #1
Napoleon1982

2014 GC Laredo Owners - Happy?

Just wanted some feedback from the Laredo owners out there (2014 MY). Are you happy with the Laredo or do you wish you had upgraded to the Limited?

The Limited is slightly out of my price range (though I could tighten the belt and find a way to pay for it, if it came down to it... prefer not to), but the Laredo is on target to what I can afford. It bothers me though that the Laredo doesn't even come with the option for HID lights and a backup camera. I mean come on, how is a camera not standard??? I like leather, but I can live without it. Don't need rear heated seats. Ventilated seats would be nice, but again, I can go without.

So back to the point - are the Laredo owners out there happy? What about the Limited owners, do you think the $4k difference is truly worth the upgrade?

Thanks everyone Can't wait to finally get myself a new vehicle. My 190k mile Acura is wonderful, but its time for something new.

Napoleon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 09:50 PM   #2
esimp

While I would have rather paid lower at the Laredo level there were certain things that pushed me to the Limited. They included in order of my personal preference of importance:

1.) v8 engine for towing the boat.
2.) heated steering wheel. Heaven.
3.) the 8 inch display with camera. See #1. So much easier to hook to the trailer with the camera.
4.) the oh so sexy 20" Overland wheel option on the Limited. I absolutely love love love the look of the rig sitting on those big wheels.

Those were the deciding factors for me. But 3 of the 4 of those are boat related and not really vehicle related. And the last is personal taste. For every one who likes the 20" wheels there's another who likes the 17-18s better.
esimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2014, 10:31 PM   #3
redddog

I would absolutely try for the LTD. I'm not one to tell someone what they should spend, but I just took delivery on a LTD today and that truck is flat-out beautiful.

The interior is as high-end as ANY truck I've been in (MDXs, Pilots, Lexus). And the better 4WD select trac system is worth it for me as well.

It's amazing to me how much truck you get for the money. Again, I wouldn't ever spend anyone's money but the LTD seems to me like the perfect balance between cost and value.
redddog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 07:15 AM   #4
polizei

Well, for me I chose the limited because I wanted leather, heated seats, 2nd row heated seats, heated steering wheel, backup camera, and the better 4x4 system.

What I like about the Laredo more is the body colored trim. Seriously though, the only options (IMHO) that make the LTD a better choice is heated leather. You can install a backup camera yourself, and if you can live without leather, save the money!

I can't though, I live in Ohio and it's cold ~5 months out of the year where I use my heated seats now, and I also have leather, so there's no way in heck I'm downgrading! I think it really depends on what you can comfortably afford and if you're planning on leasing vs. buying, or wanting to own the car for a while. Regret is hard to give with, but not the end of the world, because you can always get another one. I debated on a sunroof and at the time, spending the extra money wasn't worth it, but I might have a different thought a year from now.

Look at the comparison between the two and and also the "standard" features.

http://www.jeep.com/model-compare/de...4A&variation=1
polizei is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
Napoleon1982

Heated seats are nice, but I've never had them so I can live without. And honestly, if its cloth, the heating option isn't necessary (I do agree that cold leather can suck... but hot leather is the WORST).

Are there backup cameras that are fully integrated into the Uconnect system for the 2014s? I was under the impression that there are no after market camera systems for the new models. I know they have for pre 2014...and I know you can put a stand alone system in (with a separate screen). I just don't know how cluttered the dash would look with a second screen for the camera.

Like I said, the 2 options that don't come on Laredo that really bothers me is the camera and the HID lights. If I lease, I can't put in after market parts I believe.
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:20 AM   #6
chowner
2014 WK 

Only thing I wish my Laredo had is the DC/AC inverter and USB ports for back seats.

However I wasn't paying more in any form to get those.

I personally am not a fan of leather seats so Laredo was the way to go for me.

Also I have heated steering wheel and seats in my Laredo. Heated seat will warm you up quick on a cold morning
chowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:22 AM   #7
polizei

Sure you can, you just have to return it to stock when you give it back. I'm leasing my 14' LTD, but I plan to buy it out, so I'm doing stuff to it anyway.

As for the camera, you would have to search around, I know people have added them, I just don't know how off the top of my head. You should really try the heated leather seats though, it's something I HAD to have, spending the 8 years with them as made me spoiled, haha. I can't STAND cloth seats though, I hate them with a passion. I would at least get the heated cloth though...
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:44 AM   #8
HaydenHunter
2014 WK 

We have the Lux II package and 8.4 / NAV on our Limited. The luxury of this ride is absolutely fabulous. A capable 4wd vehicle with high-end interior appointments and all that you would expect in a premium SUV.

That said, I can appreciate your concern about budgeting and staying within means. If you have some other discretionary spending you can throttle back on and you want a nicer trim level, the Limited is a great option. The comments of previous posters are all true as regards features that you will value.
HaydenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:54 AM   #9
jtc411

I was in the same position as you were almost 2 months ago. I ended up going Limited. I test drove the limited first to see what the "bells and whistles" felt like, and I was in love instantly. Then my frugal side kicked in and I asked to drive the Laredo next(probably did this backwards), but the second I sat in the Laredo it didn't look or feel nearly as "luxury". With that said, the Laredo is a fantastic vehicle and you won't go wrong with it if you don't care about the amenities. In the end, my issues ended up being by the time I upgraded the Laredo to the 8.4" and Wheel package, Security and Convenience package I was just barely shy of a Limited. Spend a few more minutes haggling with the dealership and you might just get out less than you think. When all was said and done I only paid 18 dollars more a month on a lease for the limited vs laredo and I certainly do not regret that decision. My heated second row has been used multiple times, heated steering wheel, the power group in the rear seat with the USB cords and 115v is great to have if you want to charge an ipad and phones on a trip. It's extremely family friendly. Finally(and something that others have debated with me), I really wanted the 10 speaker Alpine system and that in the end was the biggest thing that pushed me over.
jtc411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 09:30 AM   #10
FlyingDiver
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon1982 View Post
Are there backup cameras that are fully integrated into the Uconnect system for the 2014s? I was under the impression that there are no after market camera systems for the new models. I know they have for pre 2014...and I know you can put a stand alone system in (with a separate screen). I just don't know how cluttered the dash would look with a second screen for the camera.
There's a lockpick for the '14 JGC that enables the use of after market cameras with the built-in screen.

http://www.coastaletech.com/CHR558.htm
Unread 05-08-2014, 09:46 AM   #11
ZX-10R
2014 WK 

I started Laredo in January 2013...Thrn we got my wife a 2013 Ford Focus Hatchback in TitNium trim with every option...Leather, NAV, upgraded stereo, sunroof, paint, etc. LOVED it!!!!!Especially because we we have a 140 lb Akita and a 60 lb mutt and their hair was everywhere. Leather made cleaning a car interior easy as me starting up my blower. You ever travel with dogs in cloth interior? Sunroof was nice too. Stereo is OK but 6 speakers not enough. So when it was my turn in March 29th I went 9k over budget and went limited with 20 inch tires and rims which I dislike. I also got sunroof, NAV, tow package and love it. If I skimped I would have hated it. Save and wait bro You are going over $30k so get what YOU want and want to live with. Don't skimp bro you will regret it. I love going in my Limited 4x4 in true Blue with frost interior. image-1487171856.jpg image-3250871325.jpg
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #12
stech
2014 WK 

For me the Laredo is exactly what I wanted. I bought my wife the Acura MDX with all the bells and whistles. I wanted a more camping / fishing friendly model. I specifically didnt want leather. My 14 Laredo 4X4 came with 23E package, The 18" Wheel ,8.4"Radio Group, Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror with Microphone, Uconnect 8.4A Touch Screen with Nav. Activated and Trailer Tow Group IV, Im adding the OEM back up camera soon, according to corporate parts it will be available for my radio very soon, maybe next month.
Im very happy with my decision.
I was going to post a couple pictures but the site says they are too large.

Last edited by stech; 05-08-2014 at 11:52 AM..
stech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 10:32 AM   #13
polizei

I always recommend using a 3rd party website, such as photobucket.
Unread 05-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #14
Steiner84
2014 WK 

I was in a similar position to you when I was pricing out trim levels and options. I only test drove a Laredo because I didn't want to be tempted into spending more than I needed. I eventually ordered a Laredo E 4x4 with tow, ORA 1, and the 18" wheel and 8.4" UConnect packages. It has what I need, and I love it. With options it's still under the base Limited price. No regrets trying to go up to a Limited.

I think you can get heated cloth seats and heated steering wheel with the all-weather package, which I also considered.

The HIDs are sweet. But keep in mind that to get those on a Limited, you have to add a $4000 option.

I don't want to tell you not to splurge on the Limited, just to say that I'm more than happy with my Laredo.
Steiner84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 12:27 PM   #15
Napoleon1982

Thanks everyone, keep the input coming! This is all very helpful
Leasing it would allow me to afford the Limited, but then after 3 years I'm left without anything to show. However, if I love the truck, I could always buy it out at the end. I know some people poo poo on the idea of buying out a lease, saying its wasted money, but it is a way to keep my monthly costs down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.