Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2014 GC Hot Air Blowing Out at Startup

5K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Jeepman9818 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 GC with 3K miles on it. My wife started noticing that in the morning when she started it up that it would blow hot air for the first 4 miles of city driving. The vehicle sits in a garage overnight and the outdoor ambient temperatures have been dropping recently, but in temperature of 55 degrees, I would expect it to be blowing cold air, especially when the A/C is turned on. She has tried it in both manual and auto mode with the same result. Took it into the dealer and they could not replicate the issue, but performed an HVAC calibration. I know I have seen many people document this issue where the dual zoned are not correct, but has anyone seen any resolve to this issue and if so, what was done?

#3 ·
Ours does this to some extent also. In my CTS-V's owner's manual it mentions that the V does this initially to prevent window fogging (although not for 4 miles or anything that long).

#4 ·
What can I say, we like our cold air up north! :laugh:

Even when the vents are set to blow directly at you, they blow hot air?

I would think if I turn the temp down to LOW or 60 degrees with the A/C in 50 degree (or less) ambients, the HVAC should be freezing me out almost immediately!

#5 ·
I don't know what Chrysler changed on the 2014's but it doesn't put out as cold of air with A/C on as my previous 2012 Overland. Recently I rented a 2014 Impala and a 2014 Escape. Those things had some real cold A/C, no matter what the outside temp or humidity was.

#6 ·
2014 GC Air Conditioning Problems

I have a 2014 6 cyl GC and the heat and a/c system is totally screwed up. I took a 14 hr road trip and it blew hot for a few minutes then cold for a few minutes the entire trip. I bought the vehicle in February when it was 20 degrees outside and on the way home, it started blowing cold air. The dealership says it has no updates from Jeep and does not know how to correct the problem. I now have a case manager at Jeep and she is waiting on a reply from engineering. The GM at the dealership will not talk to me, he says the problem is between me and Chrysler now that I have a case number. Very frustrating!!

#8 ·
A lot of the problem I think has to do with the auto climate control being tied to the outside temperature reading. This outside temperature reading is usually incorrect when you start the vehicle and takes too long to become accurate.

#9 ·
I have a similar problem on my 2014 JGC w/5.7. It seems like the AC compressor will not kick on -even in manual mode - it starts getting warm and humid then about 10 mins later it kicks on then back off again. Dealership can't replicate and says the system is fine, no Freon leaks. It is very annoying having to roll my windows down while driving clients around.

#10 ·
I dont use auto mode, it never works in any car. (especially in any fog or frost on the windshield situation).
It usually defaults to 1 bar of fan speed when it's -40 outside and it's at the good temp, and then 2 minutes later everything is fogged up... :p

I leave my AC on all the time (until it gets to -5 celcius or so). face and foot during summer, foot and windshield when it gets colder.
Manually adjust the fan speed.

Only way to get it to work properly.

#11 ·
Update: After 18-months of the dealer not being able to recreate the problem they have replaced the evaporator core and some other bits. The thought is there is bits of gunk temporarily clogging the system and causing it to over-pressure and leading the safety switch to shut off the compressor. After a while it kicks A/C compressor back on and the A/C works until it clogs again. We'll see if this works.

#12 ·
Original Post:
A lot of the problem I think has to do with the auto climate control being tied to the outside temperature reading. This outside temperature reading is usually incorrect when you start the vehicle and takes too long to become accurate.

There is a TSB that addresses this issue.

#15 ·
2014 GC Issues with A/C and Heat Driver Side

Sorry....I was unaware of this older thread. Did anyone get Chrysler or your Jeep Dealer to fix this problem? I have been doing some research on other sites...one individual indicated they finally replaced both the Under-the-hood controller and the center stack to fix their specific issue....
The Jeep is 3 years old, but only has 13K miles on it. Perhaps it is a mileage
related problem.....

Here is my problem which I posted today, Jun 26, 2017. Any info appreciated....

I've now owned my 2014 Overland for 3 years and little or no mechanical or electrical problems until now just before the 3 year warranty expires. Since about February of this year (2017), my passenger(s) and I have noticed that the heater and now the summer A/C is not working on the driver side but works fine on the passenger side of the front seats. Fan and everything else seems to work ok on environmental controls. I even tried to use the SYNC button....but still no driver side heat or A/C. Lately, I just turn off the Climate Controls completely or just limp along with half the system using the passenger side turned up with the fan to high speed.

Does anyone have any ideas on this problem before I go see a repair shop?
Some have said maybe a fuse or actuator on the driver side has gone bad.
Headed to some very hot weather next month....so need both driver and passenger sides to work well.

Thanks,

Jeepman9818

#17 ·
Problem Solved - Left Side Actuator Gears Stripped

My Thanks to ColdCase for pointing me in the right direction...

Updated 6/28/17......

You were correct to look at this specific area, even though there is only 13K miles on my 2014 GC Overland. The threads were stripped on this actuator, so hot/tepid air was blowing at the driver while A/C was blowing out the passenger side.

The tech commented......" scanned showed code B11CB-13, Main/Left Temp Door 1 control circuit open......B11CB-92, Main/Left Temp Door 1 Control Circuit performance or incorrect operation". Once the new actuator part arrived, he had it fixed within 3 hours. All HVAC functions hot and cold now work perfectly.

They were able to cover it under the original 3 year 36K mi warranty. I am glad that I extended to a 5 year 100K mi warranty when I bought my GC 3 years ago in case the passenger side actuator or something else under the dash goes south.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.