2014 GC Advice/Input - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 GC Advice/Input

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread Today, 07:44 AM   #1
jeephopeful

2014 GC Advice/Input

I've done a lot of reading, and a lot of searching on the forum, and am hoping for some input and some advice from 2014 GC owners. I am in the market to purchase a SUV in early September, and a certified 2014 GC Overland SEEMS like the perfect vehicle for me and my wife. It looks great, has legendary 4x4 capabilities, a large touchscreen with loads of tech, upscale interior, tons of features, etc. And now, here comes the but....

8 recalls and LOTS of transmission complaints.

From my research, it seems people are having less issues with the V8's German made 8HP70, so I'm starting to lean towards a V8, even though the V6 offers plenty of power for our needs.

Obviously, JD Power & Consumer Reports doesn't love Jeeps, but I don't put much stock in their opinions. Here's what I'm hoping for some advice with from owners:

1) Are the safety recalls really an issue? Once addressed, would you consider them non-factors, or are they a mark of overall poor quality?

2) Most people, though not all, seem to have transmission issues from the start (i.e. less than 10K miles). If I buy a certified used with 20K-30K, do you think I'm less likely to encounter transmission trouble? I know there are no guarantees with ANY car; I'm just trying to hedge my bet.

The trouble is, the GC is one of the few SUVs we like in the price range (less than $40k). Our other contenders are a 2015 GC - only one recall thus far - but we'd have to lose some of the features to stay in the mid-$30K price range, and we'd still be rolling the dice with transmission issues. Other options are a 2012 Acura MDX (I'm not too thrilled with this) or a 2013-14 Mercedes GLK (seems like a nice crossover, but not a true SUV).

Thanks in advance to all for your input.

jeephopeful is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 10:50 AM   #2
kloubik
2014 WK 

If you buy late 2014 with all recalls done I think you should be good. I would personally opt for HEMI because of the less troubled transmission.

I have April 2013 build, V6 (some say April 2013 was troubled build) and although I still get occasional rough shifts and clunks after several TCM updates (I haven't done the latest update from January yet) it is pretty much my only complaint. I just bought it out after 2 year lease. I wanted to trade in for V8 first but the residual value was very good compared to current prices for 2014 so I figured since I still have 1 year of full warranty I can trade in later for 2016....waiting for the HEMI to get bumped to or over 400hp.
kloubik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 01:10 PM   #3
WhO2
2015 WK 

For what it's worth, I bought a `14 Limited V6 new in May 2013 (pretty much when they first came out). I drove it for a year and a half (about 25K miles) with a few minor glitches, but I never had any issues with the transmission. I liked it so much that I traded it for a `15 V6 4x4.
WhO2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 01:25 PM   #4
ytqm
2014 WK 

If you are looking for more bang for your buck, DARCARs in Rockville MD still has 14's leftover. Check their site and pick the highest VIN number. I picked one up in April and love it. It does however have the PIA transmission shifting issues, but I am sure these will be resolved. I got a 14 overland for under 40K. I would think now they would even be less. Just make sure you have them do all the updates as needed. Colors are limited
ytqm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 03:13 PM   #5
SouthDakota

2014 WK 

Ours is a March 2013 (early build) built 2014 model year. Bought it certified used around March of 2014. Other than a water pump replacement, which was covered under the powertrain warranty, no complaints. I consider recalls to be a side effect of buying a newer car that has just been refreshed, but thats just my humble opinion.

We test drove the V6 and the V8... after the V8, we couldn't go back.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4
5.7L Hemi V8, Luxury Group II, Navigation
SouthDakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 05:22 PM   #6
jeephopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloubik View Post
I would personally opt for HEMI because of the less troubled transmission
I'm thinking the same. Plus, the gas mileage doesn't seem to be too much worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytqm View Post
If you are looking for more bang for your buck, DARCARs in Rockville MD still has 14's leftover.
I'll checkout this dealership. Originally we were thinking CPO so we could save on the initial depreciation, but I'd consider a leftover '14 as well if the price is good.

After discussing this further with my wife, it looks like we're either going to go with a CPO '14 V8 Overland or step down a bit to a '15 Limited EcoDiesel. I think I'll feel more relaxed with the 8HP70 transmission.

Thanks for the input!

Last edited by jeephopeful; Today at 07:03 PM..
jeephopeful is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 07:02 PM   #7
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytqm View Post
Check their site and pick the highest VIN number.
VIN numbers are not issued sequentially and are not related to production line positioning. The actual production date is what you should look for...it's on the build sheet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.