2014 EcoDiesel-Check Engine Light--but no codes. And OFTEN!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 EcoDiesel-Check Engine Light--but no codes. And OFTEN!!!

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #1
scooper77515

2014 EcoDiesel-Check Engine Light--but no codes. And OFTEN!!!

New here, and first post, so if this is a common question, feel free to berate me and then point me in the right direction of the answer

2014 Grand Cherokee diesel, and about 15,000 miles on it. The check engine light keeps coming on, but no codes. Sometimes my code reader will let me clear the light out, but sometimes I end up having to go to the dealer.

Has anyone had this issue, and is there any solution?

scooper77515 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2014, 01:48 PM   #2
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Sounds like either a memory issue in the ECU (the code is not being stored), or more likely your reader is not picking it up. Some readers have issues that sometimes clear up by cleaning the pins. Did the dealer read any codes? What brand code reader are you using? Can you try autozone or a parts shop that reads codes for free and see if they can pick it up.
Unread 10-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #3
scooper77515

Dealer did not pick up any codes either. But he was able to reset it and make the light go off one of the times when my reader did not let me clear them.
Unread 10-21-2014, 08:29 PM   #4
scooper77515

Light came on this morning for my wife. She got home, and we headed to the dealer. Dealer said it would take a while to hook it up, and we had a dinner date, so I told him I would bring it in the morning and trade vehicles with the wife for the day. Had dinner, got back in the car. Light is off.

Go figure.
Unread 10-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
scooper77515

Light came back on a couple days later, took it in Saturday and spent 3 hours sitting on a curb. Did the recall work, and updated some flashes, and light is now off. The tech said "That should fix it".

Drove home, got about a mile from my driveway, BING, light back on.

Dropped the car off yesterday, and they gave me a rental Chrysler Town and Country minivan :-( and we will see what they find to fix the jeep.

I know nobody is posting comments, but several are reading and keeping up with what we eventually find, so I will treat this as a blog until solved.
Unread 11-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #6
scooper77515

Yesterday afternoon conversation with the Dodge service adviser...

"Mr. Scott, I hope you are really enjoying your rental car..."

Um, not really. I don't like the idea of paying 15 thousand down, and 700 a month for a nice jeep, and then having to drive a crappy minivan.

"Well, you were right, this issue is a doozy. We hope to have it figured out by tomorrow afternoon, but if not, we will pay for the rental car for as long as it takes, to get your jeep back to 100%"

Well, service closes in less than an hour, so it won't be done today.

They have narrowed it down to one of the modules, but not sure which one is sending the false positive CELs.
Unread 11-03-2014, 03:31 PM   #7
scooper77515

Got another update from the Dodge Service Advisor...

"Guess what, we just got another diesel grand cherokee in with mystery check engine lights! But we still haven't figured out what is making them come on..."

He says they keep contacting Chrysler, getting the next suggested fix, and trying it again, but the light keeps coming on.

I told him some guys on here had PCM Module failures, and he said it might be, but "Chrysler doesn't just throw those around."
Unread 11-03-2014, 05:48 PM   #8
SouthDakota
Jeep Owner Since 2006

2014 WK 

It sounds like your dealer is at least working to solve the problem and actually doing something, much more than some. You aren't getting the dreaded "can't replicate issue" excuse which is nice.

Being its a pretty new engine for the Jeep Grand Cherokee, hopefully all this troubleshooting they are doing (and you updating the forum as you are) will solve this for others in the future. Not that that helps you in any way, but thank you for keeping us updated.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4
5.7L Hemi V8, Luxury Group II, Navigation
SouthDakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2014, 08:44 PM   #9
fun2drive

Entirely possible this is a connector issue. Modules work just fine that when contact isn't made throw a code.
Hopefully they will find the root cause. I know that my dealership has been first rate and I would put my experience up with what I get when I take my BMW to the dealer.
I really love driving my diesel but I don't have but 6700 miles on it yet...
fun2drive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2014, 09:16 PM   #10
scooper77515

We got the "cannot replicate" excuse plenty of times. I just decided that they won't fix it until they HAVE to, so instead of resetting my own light every time it came on, I kept taking it back to the dealer. Got to the point where he had seen us 5 times in 2 weeks, when he finally said "LEAVE IT HERE!!! WE WILL FIX IT!"

The last time was the final straw, when he worked 3-1/2 hours on it, swore it was fixed, and I didn't even make it home from the shop before the light came back up.

Connector issue...wouldn't that be a relief, but also a major hassle, if that was all it was???

Wouldn't be the first time Duct Tape was used to solve an electrical problem...
Unread 11-04-2014, 04:56 PM   #11
scooper77515

Day 8

Another day in the shop, and still no idea what is causing the light to come on.
Unread 11-04-2014, 09:00 PM   #12
Morax
One Life. Live it!

2014 WK 

Man, I feel bad for ya…insane.
Unread 11-05-2014, 09:10 PM   #13
goodburbon
1997 XJ Cherokee 

At least they're working on it and not giving you the "unable to replicate issue" line.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
goodburbon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2014, 09:15 AM   #14
thebishman

My wife's EcoDiesel was draining the battery overnight if it hadn't been driven that day. Happened twice. The only thing that appears to have cured the issue is having the TPIM replaced. Been running fine now for about 6 weeks.
thebishman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #15
scooper77515

Haven't had any battery issues. It forgot our Driver 1 and Driver 2 settings once. Other than that, the check engine light keeps coming on for no apparent reason.

Still in the shop. It is Thursday, been there since LAST monday! Eleven days, so far, and still no idea what is tripping the light...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.