2014 Ecodiesel AFE Filter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 Ecodiesel AFE Filter

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 03-10-2015, 10:46 AM   #1
ferntree

2014 WK 

2014 Ecodiesel AFE Filter

Finally replaced the crappy standard Jeep air filter (orange one) today with the AFE washable filter. A huge quality improvement over the factory unit that keeps splitting around the edge. Jeep should have fitted this as standard.

filter.jpg  
ferntree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2015, 06:37 PM   #2
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

is that rated for the ecodiesel? would hate to see it get sucked in. on my 5.9 cumins, had to use the correct air filter.
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2015, 08:26 PM   #3
ferntree

2014 WK 

Listed as a direct replacement: http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...sel&brandID=59

It is much heavier and stiffer than the factory one. Pretty sure they also make a Ram specific filter too.
ferntree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2015, 01:16 PM   #4
eaglescout1987
2014 WK 

I was at the dealer and showed him the splitting. He thought it would be ok as is since the case is clamped down so tight that it shouldn't leak unfiltered air. However, his personal theory was that the filter used in this Eco is the same filter for all WKs and engines back to 2006 or so. He thinks the filter is just not designed for the amount of air the diesel wants to pull, especially when that turbo gets going. He recommended trying to find a aftermarket dry filter that could handle some additional flow and it looks like the AFE Pro Dry S is exactly that. They do have 2 oiled filters that are available, but I don't wanna deal with the extra hassle.

So I got mine on Amazon today with a 15% off coupon and 2 day shipping! Looks like they have 4 left right now!
Unread 03-20-2015, 02:11 PM   #5
Morax
2014 WK 

I keep checking the new filter the dealer installed, due to the original being sliced and torn on the sides, the day I see another tear, I'll be back asking for a new replacement. IMHO, we should not be looking to solve their missconception issues. I also agree with the strong pull of the Diesel, what else can it be? Pinched? It would not tear this way, be more of a cut.
Morax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2015, 04:00 PM   #6
eaglescout1987
2014 WK 

If I had to guess, the cheap orange rubber foam on the edges is garbage and just doesn't have the structural integrity to hold up to this diesel and its air draw. I mean there is foam rubber on toothbrush handles that is tougher than this crap filter. I can envision the filter in there bowed up as the engine trys to suck enough air through it and the filter getting bent all to hell.
eaglescout1987 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2015, 06:20 PM   #7
Morax
2014 WK 

Well, returned to the dealer today. My second Air filter, which they had already replaced at 4000k or so ( torn on the sides )...was changed again today for a new one! Again some cracks were starting... at my third AIR FILTER, lets see how long this one will last!
Morax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.