2014 Eco Diesel in limp mode - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 Eco Diesel in limp mode

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 01-08-2014, 07:44 AM   #46
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

WKII and Parts

Back last January my 2012 GC ate a rear driveshaft. I was told when they found the problem that the earliest the part would be available was the middle to the end of March. Some how someway Margaret the great Service Manager at Manassas Jeep was able to get the part in about ten days. I was not pleased that I had to eat the cost of a rental for a day although Jeep picked up the rest of the tab. Looks like Jeep is still having parts supply problems. I am guessing with my driveshaft they pulled one off the line. Since then my GC hasnt had any problems.

Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 02:42 PM   #47
TomSF

Software issue in 2014 Summit Diesel

This thread has been very helpful...thanks to all, especially Teanderson.

I also was loving my 2 week old 2014 Summit Diesel with 800 miles on it, when it stalled on a windy mountain road in Marin County, at 30 mph, leaving me with what seemed like 80% loss of steering and brakes. The gearbox was showing 'Neutral', and after coming to a stop out of harms way, I managed to restart the vehicle and travel another half mile before the real fireworks began - another stall and loss of braking and steering but this time accompanied with random and rapid-fire illumination of all warning and related lights on the dash board, horn toots, ticking noises in the doors, and flashing front and rear exterior light. This Close Encounters episode went on for 3-4 min, and I proceeded to wait for AAA, who towed the truck back to the dealer.

I have no substantial feedback from the dealer yet (day 2) but they seem to be treating it very seriously. They have tried a software update, which appeared to be successful and are doing a thorough check of the engine, all wires, connections, etc. I have logged the issue with both Chrysler and the National Hwy and Traffic Safety Administration. I was provided with a Jeep Compass rental with a sticky steering wheel and urinal freshener essence - and needless to say it isn't doing the trick...

Will keep the thread updated with the story on how this concludes.
TomSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 07:13 PM   #48
teandersen
2014 WK 

TomSF Sorry to hear of your problem. If it is any consolation, I have driven about 3,500 miles since my engine harness was replaced and with the exception of a MIL light a few days after getting the Jeep back it has been great. That problem turned out to be the DEF heater system module which was replaced (other than the light, no symptoms).

It has been a cold winter in my part of Connecticut and I have noticed about a 3 MPG drop when the temps are around -10 to +10F not related to warm up or different tanks of fuel. That combined with the current high diesel prices (about 25-30% higher than gasoline here) makes the economics of the diesel decision more difficult but it is still a great vehicle and I am hoping for longevity. The coldest start I have had to date (no block heater) was -18F and I was amazed at how easy that was (when it is cold it sounds a little more like one of my Unimogs but it starts so much easier...).

Keep the faith!

- Teandersen
teandersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 12:35 AM   #49
TomSF

Thanks Teandersen. Glad to hear all is well.

My dealer's service shop has run diagnostics, checked all connections, driven the car 50 mi, and found nothing. Jeep has also not updated the software - so my version is the latest release (not what I was hoping for). The case was escalated to a Jeep 'master tech' in Michigan who has been calling all the shots. They have installed a monitoring device which has yet to pick up any codes/issues on it's daily drive. Basically they are at a loss and have asked me if I wanted the car back, with the monitoring device installed. I am willing to take the risk, which is not wise...but the alternative of having the car sit with the dealer for weeks was a non-starter. So i'll keep my fingers crossed, pop by the dealer every now and then to analysis the data, and keep the dialogue going with corporate.

Incidentally, the dealer has sold 3 diesels since December, and the guy who bought the first one had to bring his in today because he had a electrical/warning light cycling flareup after his DEF hit the 100 mi warning (at 3,500 mi). These newborns are temperamental to say the least.

Thanks again..
TomSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 07:20 AM   #50
jaje
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teandersen View Post
It has been a cold winter in my part of Connecticut and I have noticed about a 3 MPG drop when the temps are around -10 to +10F not related to warm up or different tanks of fuel. That combined with the current high diesel prices (about 25-30% higher than gasoline here) makes the economics of the diesel decision more difficult but it is still a great vehicle and I am hoping for longevity. The coldest start I have had to date (no block heater) was -18F and I was amazed at how easy that was (when it is cold it sounds a little more like one of my Unimogs but it starts so much easier...).
Winter is the worst time to own a diesel as the winter blend fuel reduces mpg, demand is constant as trucks still need to move our goods and people especially overtime during the holidays, diesel is also a home heating fuel supplement so demand > supply = higher prices, and OTOH gas prices are at their lowest b/c people drive less so supply > demand = lower prices. However when spring hits the situation flips as winter blend goes away, people start vacation travel and demand for gas gets its highest, the weather is warmer so diesel no longer needed for heating so supply > demand = lower prices for diesel. In fact low enough that last year in my area (KS/MO) for a 2 month period in May / June diesel cost less at the pump than regular unleaded.
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2014, 05:56 PM   #51
Gunny7
2014 WK 

I know could be anything but with my 2006 2500 Ram Diesel every problem I had was fuel related.
Water mostly but once got a fillip with gas mixed in.
I had to drain it out.
Used a little to start a trash fire once.
Gas in the diesel made me hop some I tell you.
Gunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2014, 03:29 AM   #52
amr40509

I am an early adopter (delivered November 9, 2013)

5000+ miles an the only problem has been the DEF gauge acting odd for the first week. No repair done and seems alright now.

My oil change frequency has been shorter then advertised and my DEF usage has been higher - but I suspect long winter idle times, city commute, and off road use at low speed are the blame there.
amr40509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #53
dcipher
2014 WK 

Took delivery of my 2014 GC Diesel last week on 2/26. After 250 miles, check engine light came on. Was able to drive home and get it to the dealer, where it has been since 3/1. They called today to say that they "think" it's the sensor similar to an oxygen sensor on a gas engine - they are waiting for a confirmation from Jeep. Then they said they don't have the part and that will be at least another 3 days. Needless to say, I am not happy.
I told them they need to get the part by tomorrow. Not sure what my options are at this point, but paying close to $44k for car and having it be in the shop for longer than we got to drive it doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies.

EDIT:
Now they are saying that they believe the DEF injector failed (or more likely, never worked). If the car was run with no DEF, would it damage anything? (i think the only thing that happens after DEF is injected into the exhaust stream is it runs through an SCR... would that become clogged or fail if pure exhaust went through?

Thanks

Last edited by dcipher; 03-03-2014 at 01:55 PM..
dcipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #54
Nookie
2014 WK 

I've have DEF issues as well, dealers says they have 3 x 2014 GC's with DEF type issues in/out of the shop last few weeks.

They replaced DEF heater module few weeks ago on mine, now the CEL light is on again (after reset last week) , which dealer thinks it's the NOX sensor.
& no worries The Jeep EcoDiesel cannot be run without DEF, it won't start to protect the CAT converter, the NOX sensor will pick that up in a heartbeat I'd say.

The DEF fluid will throw a CEL if it's off by 0.7% Quality wise. so rather sensitive...
Unread 03-03-2014, 02:29 PM   #55
dcipher
2014 WK 

Thanks for the info - although it looks like the injector on mine never worked? Only been driven 320 miles total, but DEF still showed as 100% full... not sure how sensitive the gauge is

In the meantime, they are saying the injector assembly is on back-order. Hmmm... let's see, that means i won't have a car for a few weeks or more i'm guessing. Can anyone say, Lemon?
Unread 03-03-2014, 04:11 PM   #56
Nookie
2014 WK 

From what I can tell the Injectors may not be available for some time.
I bet you'll end up with an entire new DEF tank as they ship as one unit. possibly pulled from assembly line. fastest way.
More out there with same issue.

-Gabe
Unread 03-03-2014, 04:33 PM   #57
dcipher
2014 WK 

Dealership just called and said they have found a dealership with the part and Jeep/Chrysler as done whatever they need to do to "force" the dealership to sell the part. They'll let me know tomorrow how fast they'll get it - they are hoping they can get it overnight. Then it's just a question of how long it takes to install the assembly. They did say that lots of people are having problems with the injector...
Unread 03-03-2014, 09:12 PM   #58
bpbpimajeep14

I have been reading about all the problems with the diesels. I have one purchased late November and now has 10000km on it no problems what so ever. Fuel mileage is good even though it has been bitterly cold lately. No def problems or anything I hope it is not a thing to come or show up after the warranty is up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
bpbpimajeep14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2014, 10:04 AM   #59
Kanab_ram
2014 WK 

No problems yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbpimajeep14 View Post
I have been reading about all the problems with the diesels. I have one purchased late November and now has 10000km on it no problems what so ever. Fuel mileage is good even though it has been bitterly cold lately. No def problems or anything I hope it is not a thing to come or show up after the warranty is up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Ditto for me. No issues yet at 4k miles. But given the law of averages, I'm expecting something to happen soon
Unread 03-04-2014, 10:44 AM   #60
dcipher
2014 WK 

Good news is - my dealership was able to get the part I need and should have it by 3/6. Fingers crossed. Also hoping that the replacement fares better than the original!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.