2014 Eco Diesel in limp mode - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 Eco Diesel in limp mode

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #16
teandersen
2014 WK 

[QUOTE=steiny93;18642170]teandersen,
does your heat controls reset to their default after your shut off and restart your jeep?

I had my 2014 for 6 days and 600 miles before the throttle problem. I did not experience any heat control reset other than I turned off the seat and steering wheel heat on the touch screen on the second day and it did not come on again after that. I found the steering wheel and seat heat too warm for my liking and if they were easier to turn on and off might be inclined to turn them on for 60 seconds and shut them off (my wife likes the seat heat and always has that on). Also, they have time delay features that shut them off after a specific time period. I noted on the instructional DVD that came with the vehicle that there is a way to have them automatically come on based on OAT and maybe your friend should take a few minutes to make sure the issue is the way things are set up.

What I noted that was cool is the way warm air blows out of the defroster as soon as you start up - I assume that there is a electric resistant heating coil in the system.

teandersen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #17
teandersen
2014 WK 

Bad News

Chrysler is estimating a 20 January delivery date for the new wiring harness...
Unread 12-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #18
Nookie
2014 WK 

Guess you'll be having serious discussion with dealership ? - that sounds unacceptable to have a new car waiting for part that long.
Also, wiring harness, they have more detail on exactly which harness it is ? Can they pull it off and check it ?
what's the PN# on it ?
Unread 12-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #19
teandersen
2014 WK 

Progress Report on dead deisel

While Chrysler has not given any improved delivery date for a harness and it sounds like it will be late January before I get my diesel back, they have made arrangements to put me in a rental 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited until I get mine back. The color is the same as mine, it has 23k miles on it and while it doesn't have all of the technology of my diesel, it has the nav package and is providing me with a pretty good opportunity to compare the gasoline version to the diesel. The rental is a V-6 and in the first few hundred miles, the mileage is running about 6 mpg less than the diesel. All of my previous Grand Cherokees have been V-8s and the V-6 runs about 6 mpg better than those did (nice have the larger tank). The sound of the V-6 (gasoline) is a little wimpy compared to the Hemi and the diesel sounds like a modern diesel. The V-6 lacks the torque of the other choices and would be my 3rd choice except for the mileage, lower first cost and less expensive fuel...

I like the diesel and look forward to getting it back.
Unread 12-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #20
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'd be pushing for a new truck but I'm guessing you are doing everything you can. Good luck.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #21
diesel_dice

Greetings,

I've got a couple of points from my experience about your issue.

1. I just drove a GC with 54 miles on it and the entire test drive it only wanted to do a regen of the exhaust system. If your vehicle has spent many hours Idling then the system maybe having difficulty completing a regeneration.

2. After purchasing my 2014 GC diesel, I noticed that the DEF tank was less than half full from the factory. I have since added 2 1/2 gallons worth DEF and it still is not full.

To be honest I was super excited about our grand Cherokee diesel until I read this thread and now I'm watching it like a hawk. Hopefully I won't have any of these issues, but if I do I will put it on the forum. I've currently got 568 miles.
diesel_dice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #22
bpbpimajeep14

I now have over 3500km on our overland diesel and have not had any problems yet. The only problem has been a small piece of trim that needs to be replaced. It has done one regen where it told me to drive on the highway for a bit. We live in the country so all our driving is basically highway.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
bpbpimajeep14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #23
teandersen
2014 WK 

Thanks Diesel Dice,

Mine had a similar amount of DEF when I took delivery with about 30 miles on it. I added a 2.5 gallon jug as well (total capacity is 8 gallons).

I drive about 100 miles a day and do not do much idling.

While I am disappointed to have drawn a short straw and ended up with an issue in a new vehicle, I have to say that my last Hemi Overland had a wiring harness issue shortly after delivery which was fixed and never was a problem in the 160k miles after that. I am not happy to be without my new diesel for a month waiting for parts but as I am driving a 2014 GC Limited Pentastar and mine will have several thousand fewer miles on it when it is returned to me than had the problem not occurred which will be of benefit when the time comes to replace it (higher resale or postponed replacement).

I am still pretty up about the purchase, satisfied with the response by Chrysler and based on the lack of response from others on this forum it seems like an isolated incident (there is a person that noted a problem on a test drive).

I think that understanding what one can expect in "limp mode" will make it easier to deal with what happens when issues arise. I noted that the car stayed in the current gear until stopped and then stayed in 3rd until re-set by shutting down and re-starting a few times and then returned to limp mode when the error code resurfaced. Driving at 35mph is a lot better than waiting for a tow truck and if you have a distance to go, trying a reset would make sense.

I wouldn't be too nervous about this happening to you...
Unread 12-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #24
NC4stroker
2014 WK 

OP, I hope your rig gets squared away. We have about 1600 miles in less than 3 weeks on our diesel and so far, other than a rattle I solved, the car is awesome!!!
NC4stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #25
MuSh

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_dice
Greetings, I've got a couple of points from my experience about your issue. 2. After purchasing my 2014 GC diesel, I noticed that the DEF tank was less than half full from the factory. I have since added 2 1/2 gallons worth DEF and it still is not full. To be honest I was super excited about our grand Cherokee diesel until I read this thread and now I'm watching it like a hawk.
If it was under half full and you only add 2.5 gallons it's not going to be full. You would need to add at least 4 gallons to fill it up from half a tank. It seems many dealers are not topping off the DEF. I'd take mine back and request a full tank if I didn't already leave town for the holidays. I just stopped at a service station that had a pump and filled it up.
MuSh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #26
NC4stroker
2014 WK 

Regarding DEF, it seems at truck stops you can get it at the pump and it's cheaper than buying it in gallons from a store.
Unread 12-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #27
philbytx
2014 WK 

Truck stop DEF!

Pump DEF at most truck stops runs around $2.70 a gallon
philbytx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #28
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

For the record the 2003 cummins 5.9 was the first year of the common rail diesel! That is all.
I'm not surprised that this happened, I'm saddened by I though!
Unread 12-26-2013, 02:12 AM   #29
notoriousMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_dice
Greetings,

I've got a couple of points from my experience about your issue.

1. I just drove a GC with 54 miles on it and the entire test drive it only wanted to do a regen of the exhaust system. If your vehicle has spent many hours Idling then the system maybe having difficulty completing a regeneration.

2. After purchasing my 2014 GC diesel, I noticed that the DEF tank was less than half full from the factory. I have since added 2 1/2 gallons worth DEF and it still is not full.

To be honest I was super excited about our grand Cherokee diesel until I read this thread and now I'm watching it like a hawk. Hopefully I won't have any of these issues, but if I do I will put it on the forum. I've currently got 568 miles.
Thanks for posting your experience. I have a 12 JGC overland V8 that has been almost perfect since day 1. I want to purchase a new one with a diesel but I'm afraid to after reading all the horror stories online. Edmunds has some less than flattering reviews as well. Please keep us informed as to how your vehicle ages.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
notoriousMR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2013, 06:46 AM   #30
NC4stroker
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriousMR View Post
Thanks for posting your experience. I have a 12 JGC overland V8 that has been almost perfect since day 1. I want to purchase a new one with a diesel but I'm afraid to after reading all the horror stories online. Edmunds has some less than flattering reviews as well. Please keep us informed as to how your vehicle ages.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Don't be too influenced by forums. Most here have questions about problems and post about their problems no matter how big or small.

I'm a member of the Shelby forum and the Cummins forum. It's the same on every automotive forum.....problems seem to abound. Problems, and therefore people seeking solutions, are the very nature of automotive forums.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.