2014 Eco Diesel in limp mode - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 Eco Diesel in limp mode

Currie RockJock Products!!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
teandersen
2014 WK 

2014 Eco Diesel in limp mode

I took delivery of my new Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel 10 days ago an the first 600 miles were awesome. Mileage better than advertised (the Hemi I replaced typically ran around 15.5 mpg, the Diesel average was around 27.5 at the 600 mile mark - 6 days of ownership).

Then the fun began. As I pulled from a stop light on my way to work (mild acceleration) the Service Electronic Throttle light and Check Engine light came on, it locked in 3rd gear and would not go more than 35 mph. I limped 10 miles to work and called the dealer who told me they could get me in the next day if I drove it 30 miles to their shop or I could take it to any Chrysler dealer (which I opted to do the next morning rather than deal with being stuck on an interstate at 35mph). By starting the engine and shutting it off a few times I got it out of limp mode (the Throttle light went out but the Check Engine light remained on). On my way home that night, about 10 miles from home the Throttle light came on again and the limp mode started but this time it was locked in 7th gear (the gear it was in) and as I live in the hills it made my ride home interesting as my speed at times was 15 mph (I got pulled over going up a hill by a State Cop that assumed that my speed was the result of drinking). It was 13 degrees out, late at night in a desolated area but thankfully I made it home and limped to the dealer in the morning. It has been there for a few days and I have been informed that Chrysler has their cracker jack engineering team working on it - the current thought is that there is a wiring harness issue and I might have it back mid next week if they can get a replacement harness.

This is my 6th Grand Cherokee. I drive a lot and often need the 4WD ability. They have stood up very well in the past and this is the first time in more than a million GC miles that I have come close to walking home. Hopefully this is not an omen. I struggled a bit with the idea of spending north of $50k on a daily driver but justified the decision on the basis of reduced fuel cost and resale. In addition to the breakdown, there are a couple of annoying things that will take some getting used to:

Why can't the GPS display time and miles to destination on the same screen?

Why aren't there switches for seat and steering wheel heaters instead of soft buttons in the screen?

Why don't they put this thing on a diet - skinny up the seats a little to increase interior room? My first GC was a 1997 TSI and things have evolved a lot since then.

No flipper window in the back?

No center points for rear child seat (right and left side only)?

My 6 year old son misses the video screen in the last one but thinks that the skylight is pretty cool.

I am sure that as I use things more I will gain proficiency.

In spite of the above, it is still pretty awesome...

teandersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Nookie
2014 WK 

Hopefully than can fix this asap!. I really like the car!, even better than my 2008 WK Diesel!

Did they tell you what the error code was ?
Unread 12-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
teandersen
2014 WK 

They just told me that there were several error codes downloaded. I will try to get them next week. The 08 had a Mercedes Benz engine. They didn't sell those Jeeps in my state. I also have 2 diesel MB Unimogs and when the Jeep died, I was thinking about how nice direct injection was (except the smell).
Unread 12-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #4
onebluemcm
2014 WK 

Hopefully it is just something small that might task a little time to track down. If the engine was running fine before the limp mode set in, seems unlikely to be a major engine issue. Mine had an odd little rattle from underneath, seemed to only occur when it was really cold so i figured it was a loose heat shield or something. it had only been going on for a few days and before i had a chance to get under it myself i visited a friend that has a local garage. Returns out it was the post cat oxygen sensor - loose in the bung. They were able to thread it in by hand, that's how loose it was. So the short sorry is if have a similar sentiment regarding build/assembly quality, even if it's something minor.

As to you list of questions/complaints, just being frank, aren't these issues you could have figured out before you bought it? If you were going to buy it anyway, why do they matter at this point? I haven't yet found a car that is truly "perfect" all things considered, but this '14 JGC w/ diesel is as close to it as I've had yet. For example, I'd like it if in the drivers display if you could make it show oil temp instead of compass because you have compass already in the center stack. But it's minor and i can live with it.

Hopefully the stealership gets your figured out soon!
Unread 12-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I test drove a Summit Ecodiesel yesterday and experienced the same thing. Dash lit up like a Christmas tree, elec throttle light stayed on, went into limp mode and would not drive faster than 10-15mph. Salestard was pretty embarrassed LOL.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
teandersen
2014 WK 

Interesting... I guess it is a good thing that VM chose Bosch rather than Magneti Marelli...
Unread 12-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
10Xk
2010 XK Commander 

Are aware that you have roadside assistance with towing. Quality!!!
10Xk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
teandersen
2014 WK 

Update with error code number

Still waiting for a ship date on replacement wiring harness. I was informed that the problem code is P02E8 (low voltage in throttle circuit). there were initially 2 other codes related to turbo and torque but they did not return after reset.
Unread 12-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
Nookie
2014 WK 

Not knowing anything else, I'd check for loose plugs more than anything.
That code exists on other diesel trucks as airflow sensor low voltage. Assume they would checked the airfilter and EGR sensor connections.
Unread 12-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #10
onebluemcm
2014 WK 

This thread sort of bring up a potentially bigger issue that crossed my mind. When you take these in to the dealer, do they put their normal gas engine trained techs on them or diesel trained techs? Does it matter? Is it just a crap shoot? If I have to take mine in, I'm definitely going to be asking questions about exactly who they plan to have work on it. I am not going to claim to know what they know, or to tell them how to do their job, but I know enough to be asking questions and not just assume that they know how to work on these when it potentially involves the engine.
Unread 12-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #11
jaje
2007 WK 

There are lot's of Ram Diesels so most dealers have a knowledgeable diesel mechanic - make sure they work on it.
#74 Exocet - NASA ST3 / E0
jaje is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 01:55 AM   #12
notoriousMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaje
There are lot's of Ram Diesels so most dealers have a knowledgeable diesel mechanic - make sure they work on it.
Provided the dealer also sells Ram trucks. My dealer is strictly Jeep.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
notoriousMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 05:33 AM   #13
teandersen
2014 WK 

CRD (common rail diesel) is something that takes some skill from both diesel and EFI (electronic fuel injection - used on gasoline engines since the 1960s probably starting with Bosch systems on VW squarebacks). I believe that the Rams used Cummins direct injection engines until about 2010 so not all of the systems are relevant. The newest Ram has the Eco Diesel. My GC is at a Dodge dealer as I didn't feel like driving any distance in limp mode. Prior to their working on it, their service manager assured me that they were current on this engine (not to mention they sell lots of trucks). When I spoke to the dealer yesterday, I was informed that Jeep's team had reached out to them 3 times that day (plus several times in the preceding days).

It is interesting to note that there is a red idiot light for the electronic throttle as well as a pretty large flashing display making me think that somebody saw this as a potential area of concern.
Unread 12-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #14
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teandersen View Post
It is interesting to note that there is a red idiot light for the electronic throttle as well as a pretty large flashing display making me think that somebody saw this as a potential area of concern.
The same lights exist on my 2008 CRD..... Not unusual. No conspiracy.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #15
steiny93
1991 XJ Cherokee 

teandersen,
does your heat controls reset to their default after your shut off and restart your jeep?

My buddy has a 2013 srt and it resets the heater controls to the factory settings after every restart, its driving him batty. He has the same complaint in regards to the seat/steering wheel controls.
I do enjoy it when he's in my denali and I start it and the controls stay where I left them
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.