2014 Diesel Grand cherokee release information - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 Diesel Grand cherokee release information

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #31
pato1031
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason911
Paitently waiting for the 2014 WK2 crd. Being a owner of a late '08 crd and loving it, I can only hope the '14 will be as good or better. Just hope the new diesels will be availabile in all trim levels(secretly wishing for a Trailhawk CRD). 46k on mine currently and zero problems, 22 city avg/25 highway avg.
New will be a high of 30 mpg or 750 miles per tank.

pato1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #32
Kev M
2012 WK 

Is there any state in the US that is emissions testing DIESELS?

I know Diesels in PA have been emissions exempt forever.

I DON'T THINK that's changed.

Anybody?
Kev M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #33
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Diesels

Should be emission tested like gas powered vehicles. All they have to do is hook up the computer like they do with gas powered vehicles. No sniff tests for recent vehicles.
Disabling the emissions will void the warranty. Problem with piss injection is it is tied to computer and the vehicle goes into limp home mode when the tank goes empty. Might be little difficult to just rip out and bypass.

If you ever have any problems even with the carpet Chrysler is going to blame it on you disabling the emissions and make it very difficult for you to get it fixed on theri dime. Real drivetrain problems you are SOL.

And what do you accomplish by disabling the emissions? Huh? Sorry dont like to inhale diesel fumes and soot
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #34
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Way to point out illegal stuff you have done.
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #35
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I believe it has to do with the GVW rating on the pickup. I never had to do emissions on my Ram 2500, although I did pay quite a bit extra in registration fees and taxes. Lower GVW vehicles, diesel or gas, gets a ODB reader check here. They recently lowered the weight limit, don't know what it is off hand.
Unread 10-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #36
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppel View Post
I don't see how my truck is any less clean than my 2004 that didn't have any egr/dpf.
The thinking is eventually those old vehicles wear out and are in the scrap heap for recycling, replaced by cleaner vehicles that are less likely to give cancer to our children. The choice is to outlaw any older vehicle, or just let them whither away.

Japan, for example, forces you to get rid of any car more than 3 or 4 years old in order to get rid of those older polluting and gas guzzling vehicles. I think you can get a very restrictive and expensive exception.
Unread 10-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #37
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2002ti View Post
Should be emission tested like gas powered vehicles. All they have to do is hook up the computer like they do with gas powered vehicles. No sniff tests for recent vehicles.
Well actually no.

Since the introduction of OBD-II vehicles many states don't even use a sniff test anymore - taking instead that the pre and post cat-con 02 sensor readings are sufficient to say the cat-con is operational.

In these cases no inspection can pass with an illuminated CE light.

But even before then emissions standards were quite different for diesel and gas vehicles and I doubt a CO sniff would tell much.
Unread 10-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #38
padgett
2012 WK 

EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) is designed to control the maximum chamber temperature which in a gas (petrol) engine helse reduce NOX emissions. The PentaStar design does not need EGR and the '92 Buick 3800 did not either. In a car designed for EGR, you need to remap the injector pulse width and advance curves if removed or MPG will head for the chamber pot.

Many states do not require annual testing but fueleconomy.gov is a byproduct of the emissions testing done on all vehicles sold in the US and is a Federal requirement.

Point is that modern computer controlled vehicles are a system, not individual pieces. Remove one and things are likely to go bananas.

ps In Orlando, rust has to be imported.

One of these is a turbo diesel.
Unread 10-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #39
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
Well actually no.

Well, to be clear - Magnusun-Moss and all - disabling emissions can only void the warranty on directly effected components. But I'm sure you know/meant that.
No manufacturers are famous for claiming any mod voids the warranty and giving you a lot grief and grap until you bring up Magnusun-Moss or have your attorney write or call. To the manufacturers rep Gee really the stress bar between the shocks towers invalidates the warranty? Please tell me how that caused the AC compressor to seize? True story on a M6. Heard a similar story from a friend who changed the shifter knob on his 2012 Shelby GT500 and Ford is claiming this caused the synchros in the trannie to go bad etc. So you take your chances. Diesels no matter what the weight should be emission tested. If I have to put up with EPA so should you
Unread 10-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #40
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

California performs an opacity test on diesels. My 08CRD passed handily.

As far as being clean.... maybe you should just build yourself a spaceship and fly off to inhabit some perfect planet. Your rants against diesels on this site are way OLD and your arguments are tiring without factual basis. If your moniker refers to the BMW vehicle of the same... your out of date vehicle handily creates more smog than my CRD. Thanx for playing.
Robert J. yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 06:44 AM   #41
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. yates View Post
As far as being clean.... maybe you should just build yourself a spaceship and fly off to inhabit some perfect planet. Your rants against diesels on this site are way OLD and your arguments are tiring without factual basis. If your moniker refers to the BMW vehicle of the same... your out of date vehicle handily creates more smog than my CRD. Thanx for playing.
Maybe you need to become better informed and stop just looking at the purdy pictures. Fine and very fine particulant matter emitted by diesels causes cancer. Google is wonderful tool hoss. Sorry dont like inhaling soot
from some bubba's modified pick up that is generating massive clouds of chokingblack smoke. A ti doesnt generate blinding and cancer causing soot.

Sorry reading makes you tired but a diesel powered GC is going to take years to pay you back based on the increase in mpg.

If you dont like my posts dont read them bubba. I like both clean air and performance and right now you can have both out of a gas pwered or diesel powered vehicle. I used to run Weber carbs etc but with a modern FI system I get better performance, driveability and significantly less pollution.
If you cant afford both clean air and performance save your your money from your Wla amrt job until you can afford both. It can be done.
Unread 10-24-2012, 06:52 AM   #42
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
No manufacturers are famous for claiming any mod voids the warranty and giving you a lot grief and grap until you bring up Magnusun-Moss or have your attorney write or call. To the manufacturers rep Gee really the stress bar between the shocks towers invalidates the warranty? Please tell me how that caused the AC compressor to seize?
Well, you said it yourself, UNTIL. Bottom line - like I said - NO - it is NOT LEGAL and they will not get away with attempting to void the warranty on a non-related item.

Quote:
Diesels no matter what the weight should be emission tested. If I have to put up with EPA so should you
Well, that's nice that you THINK that, but reality is that's not the case in PA and probably a LOT of other states.
Unread 10-25-2012, 06:15 AM   #43
padgett
2012 WK 

Jeeps are not the only diesels. My RV has a six cyl OHC turbo diesel and the big thing to control is EGT. Hopefully that will be an OBD-II readout.

One of these is a turbo diesel.
Unread 10-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #44
Jason911
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pato1031 View Post
New will be a high of 30 mpg or 750 miles per tank.
I had heard and read the same thing. 750 miles to a tank would be phenomenal on a 4x4.
Jason911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2012, 08:44 AM   #45
tivoboy

Personally, I don't think the diesel will carry a 4-5K$ price premium. the only way they would do that is if they up-optioned it closer to an overland, which they certainly could. In that case, the "premium" would actually be much lower of course. I think a 2K$ premium is more realistic, especially in the USA where it is still a hard sell.
tivoboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.