2014 with 8 Speed ZF tranny - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2014 with 8 Speed ZF tranny

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 12-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #16
fun2drive

I have significant experience with ZF transmissions and ZF is who I trust. They recommend (as I posted from their web site) changing the transmission LG at 50-75K miles depending on use. It is not hard to change the transmission fluid and the company that I buy mine from has it for a reasonable price. I know for certainty that I will change mine around 35-40K miles and then every 50K miles there after.
To each his own.
BMW over 3 years ago decided ZF was right but apparently only 1/2 right since BMW specs 100K miles between changes and you can read about what ZF recommends. There ain't no such thing as a LifeTime fill. Pure marketing BS.

If you have over 500K miles on your transmission with no service you are in the 6 sigma area. Most BMW transmissions that are not changed are shot somewhere past 150K miles if they make it that long.

There are different versions of the 6spd and 8spd ZF transmissions, some use the integral pan/filter some use a conventional filter and separate pan.

ZF transmissions do not take kindly to other ATF than the LG it was designed for. All the other ATF makers might state they are compatable or exceed the specs but here is the thing. If you change it out with a brand not recommended by the manufacturer and the transmission fails who pays for the new transmission?
Answer
You do. Good luck getting the ATF company to pay for it. Unless they put it in writing, you document with proof of changing with their product and you hire a lawyer to sue them for the cost of the R&R of the transmission I seriously doubt you will get reimbursed.
For the cost of 5-6L of LG6 or 8 depending on your transmission every 50K miles it isn't worth the risk to me...

fun2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #17
bobinbville
2014 WK 

Very slight change of subject but my Jeep has the Trailer Tow Group IV with the gasoline V-6 and the ZF 8 speed. I've normally used my Avalanche (5.3L, 325 hp) to tow my 7x14 enclosed dual axle trailer (empty weight of 3000 lbs). I normally have three bikes when on a trip with friends for a trailer weight around 5800lb. Is this a scenario I can use my new Jeep for? It has the twin electrical hook-ups in the back but no brake controller. Does Jeep offer this? I guess I need to ask the dealer but you guys seem pretty knowledgeable so I ask here first.
Thanks.
Unread 12-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #18
Gunny7
2014 WK 

I think
--Fun2drive--has it right.
Gunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.