2013 Summit totaled - what should I do? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2013 Summit totaled - what should I do?

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep FendeSanta Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 07-16-2013, 01:38 AM   #16
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

op, glad your daughter is ok. imho, you get either a 13 or 14 model, based on the best deal you get. who knows, maybe you will get lucky and your grand gets totaled and you find one just like it on a new car lot some where. for the record,, the 2004 models are the best looking.

pentastarguy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:21 AM   #17
Ken-G
2014 WK 

Best of luck. I just traded my JK in on a GC Summit and it took my dealer a week to find one that another dealer was willing to let go. GCs, at least down here in the southeast have been moving quick and if you have to have the Summit they are tough to get a hold of. Only ones close were out of state and showing up with out of state tags to buy a car is like saying, "I'm desperate, please bone me on the price."
Ken-G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 11:14 PM   #18
txguy67

It's Great that your daughter was not injured...
Yes this ride is a TANK.
It took me a month to find mine and had it trucked in from Midland Texas...yee haw!
As far as parting with mine...well ya never know...
txguy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 06:56 AM   #19
mswlogo

I waited a long time for the 2014, just ordered one yesterday.

Lots of nice refinements. Especially the transmission.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #20
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

'Glad your daughter is ok...that's the most important thing of all.

If your insurance company decides to total the vehicle, you can choose what you want to replace the wrecked vehicle with. Usually they give you a check for the difference between the valuation of the vehicle and what you owe to the lender, if there is a lien. Then you go shopping. 2013 JGC are going to be pretty hard to find at this point, especially in specific trim levels. I'd opt for the MY14 Summit or Overland as a replacement, depending on your needs. Perhaps your dealer will play nice with a repeat deal, too.
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #21
Wolfman2332
2013 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry for the absence - been a crazy week. The good new - not totaled. The bad news - they will fix it. I had it moved from up North to 10 minutes from my office. It is at the dealer who sold it to me, and I am confident that it will be done right.

Have to hand it to the Jeep. It was hit just behind the rear wheel by a 1 ton pickup (complete with all terrain tires and snow plow mount), spun 90 degrees into another car, and then into a ditch. Strong truck indeed.

I will post as progress dictates. Very sad, but I would buy one exactly like it. absolutely no regrets. Best SUV I have ever owned or driven. Saved my daughters life.
Wolfman2332 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #22
Wolfman2332
2013 XJ Cherokee 

Oh yes - one more thing - it wasn't her fault.
Unread 07-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #23
pwrdbym

It may be beneficial for you to hunt for a leftover 2013. I bought a 2013 Overland a few months ago because the dealer offered $9,300 off, while he could only offer $2,500 off a new 2014. The differences just weren't worth it. With the 2013 maybe you can get very close to the insurance check amount and not have to pitch in a lot more money.
pwrdbym is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #24
Butterjeep
2012 JK Wrangler 

It's amazing what bodyshops can do nowadays. Hopefully the repairs go smoothly. Be picky and pick out every single fault you see. You had a perfect vehicle before, and the other party owes you a perfect vehicle after.
Unread 07-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #25
beardance42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman2332 View Post
Sorry for the absence - been a crazy week. The good new - not totaled. The bad news - they will fix it. I had it moved from up North to 10 minutes from my office. It is at the dealer who sold it to me, and I am confident that it will be done right.
Best of luck with this. We just got our '12 Laredo fixed after getting slammed on the left front - cracked the transfer case, extensive body damage and broke the front wheel off.

$14K and two months later, we got it back. Glad we did, too. And glad your daughter is okay.
beardance42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #26
Wolfman2332
2013 XJ Cherokee 

OK - Latest update. This moved really fast, and it has been frustrating. I did not trust the body shop my insurance recommended up North - many reasons, but bells went off from the start. Got it down ot Roesch Jeep (They are GREAT), and they totaled it almost immediately. My initial observation that the body had been torqued (twisted) were correct, and that cannot be repaired satisfactorily. So Friday I found a 2012 that is exactly like the one totaled and bought it. Only difference is it has 18" tires. Don't think that is a big deal. I will add the rock rails.
20130713_112700-lo-res.jpg   20130713_112708-lo-res.jpg  
Unread 07-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #27
hemispin
2014 WK 

^^ From the photos it looks like the top of the right rear tire is bent inward. Looks pretty bad. I'm glad they totaled it. That would require extensive work to get going again, not to mentions tons of money in parts. It would never drive the same again. Good luck with your new one, and again, glad your family isn't hurt.
hemispin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #28
XtrailratedJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Oh Man! That 2013 XJ was a rarity. Sad to see it go...

Originally Posted by Durt_Diver:
Those pics might be a little too flexy for this thread. You don't happen to have any pics of your friends xj on a curb by chance?
XtrailratedJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #29
moonguy

Glad your daughter is okay. I was less fortunate in 2012 in an accident and bought a grand Cherokee after that so if it happens again I figure I will come out unscathed.
I agree with the other posters, 5000lbs and built like a tank. When I was researching the gc, it said these new models were 43% stronger than the previous ones due to extra welds and they do have the anti whiplash head rest.
moonguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #30
Wolfman2332
2013 XJ Cherokee 

I miss it though - almost as close as my huntin' dogs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.