2013 GC Overland rust already? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2013 GC Overland rust already?

Jeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontJeep Grand Cherokee Window RegulatorComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 04-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #16
Webb
2012 WK 

I use paint sealant on my wheel often.Still looks like new.

Unread 05-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #17
GU3R086

So my Cherokee Altitude got a good hand scrub and guess what, there are spots were the rusty water flung on the wheel and it won't come off. Pretty irritated.
GU3R086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #18
shudog
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Is it on the surface? Can it be cleaned off?
Clay bar, then wax is my wheel routine, twice a year. Pretty much guarantees no issues even in Cleveland winters with lots of salt.
shudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 03:29 AM   #19
Webb
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shudog View Post
Clay bar, then wax is my wheel routine, twice a year. Pretty much guarantees no issues even in Cleveland winters with lots of salt.
Dont wax it,use a paint sealant lasts longer.
Unread 05-08-2013, 04:25 AM   #20
Jerseymark

The wheels might have been painted incorrectly. On my 2013 jku two of the wheels were missing clearcoat in big areas. I brought it to dealership a week after I bought it and they submitted pics to Chrysler. I ended up getting new wheels within a week. Now the new ones seem to have a slightly better paint job than my other 3 with more clearcoat.
Jerseymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #21
fd12me

Looks like you might have had some rail dust on there (look up and to the right just a little from the center cap). Do you live in a snowy region? You have to get that rail dust off in a few months or less, otherwise they corrode the paint/chrome--I had a 8 month old Ford Explorer that got rail dust on the rear hatch from plow shavings and caused rust...PITA (let's be honest, aftermarket paint jobs never look as good...)
fd12me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #22
Clemson
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webb
Like this ? This was from my JGC 2000.
Looks like those salty roads is taking it toll on your rims
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #23
Clemson
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickinNY
I agree. That does look bad only 4 months into a new vehicle. That can't be normal. Are all 4 wheels that bad? I'd definitely discuss it with the dealer.
How can you blame the OEM for no preventative maintenance being completed by an owner?
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #24
ps0831
2013 WK 

I am not sure how this thread devolved into attack on me. I have not seen this issue on other cars I owned with similar wheel designs, so I asked if this was normal. Unfortunately, based on the constructive responses I received, this appears to be normal for Jeeps and I will take the recommended preventative steps with this vehicle.
ps0831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #25
Clemson
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps0831
I am not sure how this thread devolved into attack on me. I have not seen this issue on other cars I owned with similar wheel designs, so I asked if this was normal. Unfortunately, based on the constructive responses I received, this appears to be normal for Jeeps and I will take the recommended preventative steps with this vehicle.
No one is attacking anyone. My comment was intended for the member who quickly jumped to the manufacturer as being at fault. Nothing more. Corrosion will occur when road salt is allowed to remain on alloys.
Unread 05-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #26
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson View Post
No one is attacking anyone. My comment was intended for the member who quickly jumped to the manufacturer as being at fault. Nothing more. Corrosion will occur when road salt is allowed to remain on alloys.
Well since I'm obviously that member you're referring to, I'll respond. I've lived in upstate NY my entire life & owned new vehicles some 40+ years now. Salt is routinely used on the roads in our winters, (& I mean a LOT) so I think I know a little about the subject & what it does to wheels. The OP has owned his new Jeep only 4 months & already shows some serious rust issue on the picture he posted. He asked if that's normal & it clearly is NOT. I've never had that kind of rust after a few months in a new vehicle & no one is going to convince me that's normal. I don't care how much salt they use in his area, that shouldn't be happening so soon. Something is clearly wrong. And let's not put words in my mouth. Where did I lay blame on the OEM? I said this clearly isn't normal & should be discussed with the dealer. Big difference in laying blame, wouldn't you say?
And what preventative maintenance are you referring to that you're inferring the OP didn't do? So you want to blame him for this? Sorry, I don't think so. The only thing I've done for the wheels over the years is go to a car wash in the winter to get rid of the salt. And in the Spring throw some wax on them when the vehicle gets waxed. That's it & they've looked great over time. And frankly, I'd be willing to bet I could go all winter in a new vehicle without washing it & the wheels would/should look just fine in the Spring.
I asked the OP if that was happening on all 4 wheels, but he didn't respond to that. If it is just that one wheel showing the rust, doesn't it stand to reason something is wrong with that wheel?
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 06:37 AM   #27
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemson View Post
How can you blame the OEM for no preventative maintenance being completed by an owner?
And just how do you know what the OP did or didn't do? I must have missed that. Oh, wait a minute. In your mind, because there's clearly a lot of rust on the new wheel after only 3 months, (that shouldn't be there at all) it must be his fault because he didn't do any preventative maintenance. Yeah, right.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #28
Jerseymark

I agree with mickin. I live in nj so not as bad as ny but they still use a lot of salt here. Imo, that is not normal for a new vehicle no matter how bad the winter or how much salt it is exposed to.
Jerseymark is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.