2013 5.7 Fuel Pump - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2013 5.7 Fuel Pump

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 03-28-2014, 10:42 AM   #1
NickPsy
2013 WK 

2013 5.7 Fuel Pump

My 13' Overland started making a horrible grinding/crunchy noise from the engine which turned out to be a faulty fuel pump. 24,000 miles and a bad fuel pump?! Glad I bought the extended warranty....

NickPsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickPsy View Post
My 13' Overland started making a horrible grinding/crunchy noise from the engine which turned out to be a faulty fuel pump. 24,000 miles and a bad fuel pump?! Glad I bought the extended warranty....
Good for you on making the decision to get that warranty .

Do you have any idea what that would have cost you out of pocket (parts and labor)?

Thanks
LibGrandCher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 10:55 AM   #3
FlyingDiver
2014 WK 

A '13 with 24k miles should still be under the original warranty, right?
Unread 03-28-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
chowner
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
A '13 with 24k miles should still be under the original warranty, right?
Exactly my thought.

chowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 11:18 AM   #5
hemispin
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickPsy View Post
Yea, you were cutting it close with the factory 100k mile powertrain warranty...
hemispin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 11:52 AM   #6
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Driving with less that tank fuel is hard on the fuel pump, not as much cooling. Otherwise failures happen.
Unread 03-28-2014, 12:18 PM   #7
NickPsy
2013 WK 

Still under factory warranty for sure. Just surprised that a fuel pump would go this quick. That was the reference to the extended warranty as I have a bit more peace of mind with some anticipation that things may go bad on the car.

Last edited by NickPsy; 03-28-2014 at 01:52 PM..
NickPsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #8
chowner
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Driving with less that tank fuel is hard on the fuel pump, not as much cooling. Otherwise failures happen.
I'd question the validity of this
Unread 03-28-2014, 06:50 PM   #9
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

You will see text like this posted on a number of enthusiast sites when discussing why fuel pumps fail, doesn't make it true however:

"Fuel Starvation
Fuel pumps are designed to pump fuel, not air. If your vehicle doesn't have enough gasoline, your fuel pump will be forced to pump air. If the vehicle pumps air regularly, the fuel pump will eventually fail. Your vehicle's fuel pump relies on the fuel that passes through it to provide it with lubrication and work as a coolant to keep the pump from overheating. If the pump is being starved for fuel, it stands a higher chance of overheating and burning up.

Drivers who regularly run their vehicle very low on fuel, or who periodically keep the fuel tank less than a quarter of the way full, will probably experience fuel pump failure earlier than drivers who keep a partially to fully filled tank."

"• Driving with low fuel level: Its durability depends on the lubrication and the cooling provided by the fuel. Running your vehicle on a low gas tank frequently, may heat up the fuel tank much quicker, ultimately overheating the fuel pump. As a result, due to the lack of lubrication, it becomes dry and gets damaged.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7193050"

"The largest cause of fuel pump failure is caused by the tank being run low, espesially in the winter. the pump has been installed inside the gas tank, in part, to try to keep the pump cool. when a car has been driven on a low tank, the pump will tend to get a little warm, then pumping cold gas on top of it, can sort of "shock" the pump."

"Most pumps are capable of going 100,000 miles or more, but depend on lubrication and cooling provided by the fuel itself. Frequent driving with a low fuel level may occasionally starve the pump for lubrication and cooling, which can lead to accelerated wear or even pump damage."
Unread 03-29-2014, 09:57 AM   #10
chowner
2014 WK 

Quote:
"The largest cause of fuel pump failure is caused by the tank being run low, espesially in the winter. the pump has been installed inside the gas tank, in part, to try to keep the pump cool. when a car has been driven on a low tank, the pump will tend to get a little warm, then pumping cold gas on top of it, can sort of "shock" the pump."

Logic doesn't work with that quote.

I understand the theory behind this, but it doesn't really compute to me.

90% of time I never fill up with more than 1/8th of a tank left. I've drove multiple vehicles well over 100K and never had a fuel pump failure. Maybe I'm just lucky
Unread 03-29-2014, 11:26 AM   #11
Racer83L
2014 WK 

I have heard the same thing for many years from many different people.... I personally dont fill up until my light comes on, and I also have never had a pump fail.

I would still think its better to keep more fuel in the tank than what I do, but I try to go to the gas station as less often as possible which means I let it run very low.
Unread 03-29-2014, 01:43 PM   #12
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowner View Post
I've drove multiple vehicles well over 100K and never had a fuel pump failure. Maybe I'm just lucky

Good thing you were not exceeding 200K miles, you would be in big trouble. At 100K miles, the Jeep is barely broken in .

I've only had one in-tank fuel pump fail, but that was a '85 Cheby at 40K miles (just outside the warranty). The dealer said it was probably caused by me running the tank down to low fuel often.
Unread 03-29-2014, 03:30 PM   #13
hemispin
2014 WK 

Quote:
Not too sure about that. A quarter tank on the JGC with 25 gallon tank works out to be over 6 gallons. The needle is calibrated on the conservative side to effective have a "reserve", so figure another 2-3 gallons. If 6 gallons of fuel won't cool the fuel pump, then the the pump should be getting hot enough to ignite the fuel in the tank.

Quote:
I understand the theory behind this, but it doesn't really compute to me.
Agreed.

Quote:
90% of time I never fill up with more than 1/8th of a tank left. I've drove multiple vehicles well over 100K and never had a fuel pump failure. Maybe I'm just lucky
Same here. I've only replaced one fuel pump in my ~ 25 years of driving and vehicle ownership. It was when I put a fresh 302 engine in my 64 1/2 Mustang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer83L View Post
I have heard the same thing for many years from many different people.... I personally dont fill up until my light comes on, and I also have never had a pump fail.
Pretty much the same for me.
Unread 03-29-2014, 04:50 PM   #14
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemispin View Post
Not too sure about that. A quarter tank on the JGC with 25 gallon tank works out to be over 6 gallons. The needle is calibrated on the conservative side to effective have a "reserve", so figure another 2-3 gallons. If 6 gallons of fuel won't cool the fuel pump, then the the pump should be getting hot enough to ignite the fuel in the tank.
OK, OK, if you want to get precise, its 3/16 of a tank... and, if you want to get that picky, the larger the tank the more the fuel can slosh up the sides and uncover the fuel pickup... making the pump suck air... Not saying that I can confirm or deny that its more wear and tear on the pump, but thats what some of the folks with fuel system expertise and experience tell me. It could just be a hold over from the early days of in-tank fuel pumps, and the current pumps are less likely to be affected.... I dunno, but one can sure find plenty of current references to it. It appears to be common knowledge with techs, which doesn't make it right.

They are typically discussing, for those that have had fuel pump failures, what the failure modes and effects detectives determined was the cause.... not so much how likely there would be a failure.
Unread 03-29-2014, 06:35 PM   #15
hemispin
2014 WK 

Quote:
It could just be a hold over from the early days of in-tank fuel pumps, and the current pumps are less likely to be affected....
I think this would be an accurate synopsis. I can't even remember any of my friends ever needing to replace a fuel pump. And I thought a lot about it!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.