2012 WK2 5.7 Hemi Throttle Calibration my expirence - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-21-2017, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Spleef
2012 WK 

2012 WK2 5.7 Hemi Throttle Calibration my expirence

Like most 5.7 owners on here suffered through throttle lag and wondered why a 360hp engine can be a total marshmallow on the highway and have done my share of work attempting to remedy it. I believe I have uncovered the holy grail of fixes but I want others to try it and see if they get the same results.
I have the Diablo w/ a Hemifever and I've messed around with the throttle boost feature with mixed results. I tried the reset procedure where to set the key to run and depress the pedal and release that you seem to always find on the net and to me it didn't do a single thing.... because it DOSENT! If this actually tried to calibrate a TB I would expect the butterfly to open then return. Get a buddy and try it for yourself.
I'm gonna throw this one out here.
What I stumbled on by pure luck is before you hit the start button mash the throttle to the floor. Now while holding the gas hit the key twice to put it in run (keeping your foot off the brake). You can hear the butterfly snap wide open then snap shut. Wait a second or two the let off the gas then mash down and release it once more. Now wait till all the lights stop blinking especially the engine light. Shut the thing off. That's it. Now go give it a try.
I believe this action is activating the butterfly mechanicals then reading the feed back from the TB. It then matches that signal to the command and stores it in the ECU.
It totally worked for me I want to see if this works for others.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-21-2017, 05:22 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Thanks

The FSM says that the engine will try to relearn ETC position when the key is left in the on position for an extended period of time. The procedure itself can take up to 2.5 seconds. So you may not need to touch the go pedal, just turn the ignition on without starting the engine and wait. I can't find mention of how long the extended period is.

Since the starter will not be allowed to crank during the relearn procedure, it can be mistaken for a no crank problem. That happens often enough that there is a note in the FSM.

A ETC relearn can also be commanded from the scan tool.

Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 9 Old 08-22-2017, 11:01 AM
WindyCity

Do you feel like you still have a lot of lag with the tune that Sean sent you? I had him adjust it a couple times before getting the way I like.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-22-2017, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Spleef
2012 WK 

Not much anymore. I'm happy with it now.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-22-2017, 10:00 PM
hearld5000
2011 WK 

I have a 2011 5.7 Summit. Not sure what to make of this but I can confirm this made a difference (as skeptical as I am). Not just a "butt dyno" but I'm now chirping the tires through the stop sign on my daily commute which I couldn't do before.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-23-2017, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Spleef
2012 WK 

ColdCase I tried what you quoted from the FSM about the extended key on to see if that would do the same thing. I set the key to RUN sat and waited 10 minutes. I never saw the thing attempt to move. Also tried it in the ACC mode too and saw the same nothing happen.
If it does Calibrate it I'm not waiting any longer than that.
hearld500 Glad to see it helped yours.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-24-2017, 04:36 PM
BolderGuy
2013 WK 

Does this only work with a tuner or can the stock ECM relearn this on it's own?

3rd GC. ZJ, WJ and now WK2. Decked out Limited with OME lift running 275/55/20s.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-24-2017, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Spleef
2012 WK 

Appears to work with the stock tune too.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-25-2017, 12:08 PM
Trailguide
2012 WK 

My 2012 Hemi Grand had sluggish performance and service bulletin 21-006-13 made all the difference in the world. Then I got the fish bite Bulletin done and I'm real happy with its stock performance. I pull a 4700 lb. (that's 4700 loaded) camper with ease.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.