Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2012 WK2 3.6L Misfire #2 cylinder

59K views 65 replies 17 participants last post by  childsgc4 
#1 ·
This afternoon the wife called me and said the CEL light came on and wanted to know what to do. She came home, I hooked up my OBD2 scanner and turns out cylinder #2 had a number of misfires (131 according to my diag report). I had noticed what sounded like a ticking sound with the window down this weekend in CA while escaping the heat, but I live in AZ so haven't really driven with the window down in a while. I thought it was kind of odd but didn't think too much of it.

Sure enough I came across this article about how Chrysler is recalling some engines of the 3.6L Pentastar that also have the ticking sound and a cylinder #2 misfire.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120813/CARNEWS/120819959

Anyone else come across this lately? Have any experience with the dealer with this warranty work or advice you can give? Any other issues you've run across with a misfire on the WK2 3.6L?

To date this is the only problem we've encountered. Jeep has just over 12k miles on it and was bought in March of this year.

Thanks.

See less See more
#60 ·
Chrysler Won't Replace My Defective Cylinder 2

I know this is an old post, but I'm hoping someone has an idea of what I can do. I have a 2011 Grand Cherokee with the 3.6L V6. The CEL was showing numorous cylinder 2 misfires so I took it to the Jeep dealer at 99,570mi.

The service consultant said it's either a bad spark plug or a bad cylider head, but he'd have to charge me $140 to find out. I asked if I could take it to a friend who can check the plug, and I would bring it back and pay the $140 if it wasn't the plug. The service consultant said that would be fine, and that he would leave the ticket open so I would be good if/when I came back.

Of course it wasn't the plug, and when I got back to the Jeep dealer a week later they had closed the ticket, and I was at 100,822. I paid the $140 and confirmed it's a bad cylinder head. Now they are saying it will cost me $3,700 to fix because I'm out of warranty, regardless of what the service consultant told me. I have followed up with Chrysler corporate and they've told me the same. Sorry for your luck, it's out of warranty.

Does anyone have a suggestion of how I can get Chrysler to honor what the service consultant told me, and to fix a known issue they have with this engine design?

Thank you for any help you can give!

Grant

#61 ·
I know this is an old post, but I'm hoping someone has an idea of what I can do. I have a 2011 Grand Cherokee with the 3.6L V6. The CEL was showing numorous cylinder 2 misfires so I took it to the Jeep dealer at 99,570mi.

The service consultant said it's either a bad spark plug or a bad cylider head, but he'd have to charge me $140 to find out. I asked if I could take it to a friend who can check the plug, and I would bring it back and pay the $140 if it wasn't the plug. The service consultant said that would be fine, and that he would leave the ticket open so I would be good if/when I came back.

Of course it wasn't the plug, and when I got back to the Jeep dealer a week later they had closed the ticket, and I was at 100,822. I paid the $140 and confirmed it's a bad cylinder head. Now they are saying it will cost me $3,700 to fix because I'm out of warranty, regardless of what the service consultant told me. I have followed up with Chrysler corporate and they've told me the same. Sorry for your luck, it's out of warranty.

Does anyone have a suggestion of how I can get Chrysler to honor what the service consultant told me, and to fix a known issue they have with this engine design?

Thank you for any help you can give!

Grant
If this is true why in world would you do that. You had it at the dealer less than 500 miles from the warranty expiring and you decide you want someone else to troubleshoot it? I can understand the dealer not wanting to help you out why would they? You can try going through Chrysler customer service, but like they said the fact that you are over on miles puts you out of warranty. At least you can show that the problem was most likely there before it expired. It seems to me that was a very foolish decision on your part to take it out of there to begin with though.

#62 ·
Now that's not of much help.

Sounds like, if Chrysler is refusing the warranty claim and the dealer raised it up the flag pole, there is an arbitration procedure, small claims court... etc. Sometimes Chrysler will provide the parts but you pay for labor. Not sure if we are getting the whole story as 800 miles over the limit is usually not an issue for Chrysler.

#64 ·
Not sure if we are getting the whole story as 800 miles over the limit is usually not an issue for Chrysler.
As I posted, a dealership issue, which he may be able to get some relief IF they will help. It's highly unlikely that the dealership will 'make good' their promise to keep the service ticket open, UNLESS they get paid by Chrysler.

I would first attempt to work through the dealership service manager, then the dealership owner, then get the Chrysler district service manager involved. Takes a bit of phone work, but sometimes it can yield benefits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.