2012 WK2 3.6L Misfire #2 cylinder - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2012 WK2 3.6L Misfire #2 cylinder

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3

Unread 10-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #31
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Thanks for those links Vinnie & more of your input. I did love the 2 Laredos I drove a few weeks ago & came away very impressed, which is why I decided I wanted one. Like I said, despite the various problems I'm reading about on this forum, I know enough to keep an open mind when looking at the big picture. Afterall, many guys here state they're very happy with no problems, so I'm certainly paying attention to that.
Interesting read on that GM link & problems with the Mexico plant. When I initially looked at the parts sticker (which I always look at first on any vehicle) on the GC, I have to admit I wasn't too happy when I saw the engine was coming out of Mexico. That was a big turn-off, as I tend to avoid buying ANYTHING coming out of Mexico if I can. That's not to say there aren't problems coming out of the US plants, but given the choice, I'd much prefer taking my chances with a motor built in a US plant. But unfortunately, that's what we're faced with in todays global economy & factories closing in America.

Last edited by MickinNY; 10-11-2012 at 10:09 AM..
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #32
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

My Ram was assembled in Mexico in 2006, no problems, good quality.
Unread 10-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #33
jlused

Hi all,

I figured I'd chime in with my story. I own a 2012 Durango, December 2011 build date, with the 3.6 Pentastar. Sure enough, it developed the tick a few months ago at ~4,000 miles. It did not however light a CEL. In any case, I took it to my local Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealer here in northern NJ, and it's been a fairly straightforward process. They gave me a loaner Liberty for a week while they did "performance tests" and contacted Chrysler. I got approved for a new head in late August. The head just arrived at the dealer, but I'll have to wait until late October to drop the Durango off again because the dealer has a backlog of heads to replace. He indicated that he's got four or five GCs in at the moment getting the head job done. Overall, while I'm not thrilled with the fact that my brand new $40k vehicle needs a head, at least the dealer and Chrysler have been very good about getting the repair done and not denying there's a problem despite there being no CEL. Regarding what's been reported in the press about this effecting very few vehicles (think I've heard 0.5%), I have my doubts. If my particular dealer, which is one of perhaps a dozen Jeep dealers in a 20 mile radius, has a backlong of head jobs, there must be many thousands nationwide getting it done.
jlused is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #34
Suther
2012 WK 

Couldn't a misfire cause catalyst damage due to unburned fuel?

The fuel would go to the catalyst, accumulate on the surface, then burned of causing the catalyst to overheat and wear down the surface faster.

What does the dealer state to that?
Suther is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #35
VinnieTheFish
2014 WK 

Didn't ask but good info for anyone in the future dealing with this issue. Chrysler stepped up and is paying for the rental car for me probably because I stated my case and concerns with hard facts from the OBD2 reader and the report from the touchscan software.

As for an update on the issue the dealer called and has the cylinder head and is waiting on a gasket. I'll give an update after I get the vehicle back, ran a few dials of my own and see how the overall vehicle drives along with a thorough inspection for oil leaks, etc. Hopefully i don't find anything which would be the best outcome.
'96 ZJ 4.0L 4x4 NP242 *** SOLD @ 223k miles & still running***
VinnieTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #36
padgett
2012 WK 

Just points out the value of a $30 PC add-on (or less for Android - am limited to six readouts on my telephone but tablet is better).

One of these is a turbo diesel.
Unread 10-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #37
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgett View Post
Just points out the value of a $30 PC add-on (or less for Android - am limited to six readouts on my telephone but tablet is better).

I'm clueless on this but I see where Vinnie did readings & posted them in this thread. I looked at the stickies & did a search (OBD2 reader) but came up empty. I get it that some type of reader gets plugged in the vehicle & the readings can then be looked at on a computer.
What is this $30 add-on? Where does it get plugged in the vehicle? I'm 62 & technically challenged when it comes to computers & smart phones, so would having this $30 add-on be useful for someone like myself? (assuming of course I do buy a new GC) Looking at Vinnies reading, I haven't a clue what they mean.
If this is covered somewhere on this site, please provide any links. Thanks.
Unread 10-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #38
padgett
2012 WK 

I put up this page ( http://padgett.performanceresearch.u.../obd2/obd2.htm ) some months ago so is a little dated but still a good primer. Am now running Torque on both a Samsung Galaxy Tab2 and a Proclaim cell phone. (do not care for S customer service but features are hard to beat).

Unread 10-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #39
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Thanks padgett. I'll just leave that stuff to you guys who know all about it.
Unread 10-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #40
VinnieTheFish
2014 WK 

Dealer called me Thurs and said the cylinder head is in, but waiting on a gasket. Looking at EOB Tues or Wed till I have it back from the shop.

As for the software I picked up a USB OBD2 reader from Amazon that was compatible with the TouchScan software. If you google touchscan obd2 they also sell a complete kit. I liked the trial software so much I opted to pay for the full version. Probably one of the easiest packages I came across that does everything I wanted without shelling out a grand or more.

The screen shot I provided was from the Service $06 menu under diagnostics which gives you real time data or a nice easily printed report when the CEL comes on with a plain English explanation. I've used it before buying a few used cars and was able to weed out the lemons/bs from the seller ahead of time. I.e if you see the mileage since reset very low or a few misfires but haven't registered a CEL you know the seller is trying to pull a fast one on you.

Did this recently with a WK limited QDII 4.7L v8 with 64k miles and saved myself some serious money by avoiding a lemon.

With cars now everything is computerized so it makes troubleshooting much easer than in the past.
Unread 10-18-2012, 12:37 AM   #41
VinnieTheFish
2014 WK 

Picked up the Jeep this morning from the dealership and was happy to trade in the Chrysler minivan we've been driving for the past week. First thing I did was pop the hood, turn over the Jeep and listen.... Sound went away completely on the driver side of the engine. Spent the next 10 min looking for oil leaks or any other problems and couldn't find any. At that point I was happy and headed to the nearest Chevron gas station as the take was less than 1/4 full and my word is ~29 miles away and I wanted a full tank of 89 for the test drive. Made it to work without incident and before I headed in I hooked up the laptop & OBD2 connector to see if there were any further misfires or error codes. Unfortunately cylinder 3, 4 & 5 showed between 1-3 misfires each in the 29 mile drive. I also still saw the Freeze Frame data from the last CEL so I cleared everything, Tis way my drive home is basically starting from a clean slate.

Drove home after work (half bumper to bumper half at the speed limit) and then hooked up OBD2 again. No check engine light but saw between 1-6 misfires from cylinders 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6. Saved the reports and not sure what to do at this point. Probably going to take it back to the dealership but not happy than I'm still seeing some misfires although considerably less than before.

Going to call my case manager from Chrysler, send her the reports I'm pulling and see what the next step is. Any ideas as to what else might cause an infrequent misfire like this?
Unread 10-18-2012, 09:18 AM   #42
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Sorry to see you're still having issues. I'm curious why you use 89 octane, as I'm guessing Chrysler would recommend using 87 with the V-6. I'm not a mechanic by any means, but is it possible the higher octane would cause the misfires you're seeing?
Unread 10-18-2012, 09:42 AM   #43
VinnieTheFish
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickinNY
Sorry to see you're still having issues. I'm curious why you use 89 octane, as I'm guessing Chrysler would recommend using 87 with the V-6. I'm not a mechanic by any means, but is it possible the higher octane would cause the misfires you're seeing?
I figured if I used a high quality gas provider at mid-grade it would rule out the possibility of someone stating it was the gas used not the vehicle. Problem still persists unfortunately.

And no... using a higher octane will not cause a misfire.
Unread 10-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #44
VinnieTheFish
2014 WK 

Spoke with the Chrysler Case Manager about the issue once again this morning and even provided her the diag reports I pulled both from the dealership to my work (29 miles) and after I returned home later that night. She said I should bring it back to the dealership since the initial issue was for a misfire situation and I'm still experiencing a misfire. During my lunch break I went back to the service department for my dealership and unfortunately they turned me away trying to state that it was completely normal. He said that unless there's a check engine light there's nothing they can do and even ran the reports by 2 different "drivability tech's" to have them look at the ODB report.

I'm really bummed now as the dealership wouldn't even take my suggestion of running it for a good 20-25 min or 20 miles, then performing a diagnostic. Left a voicemail for my Case Manager and not sure what to do at this point.

Any ideas what this could be? Anyone know the lemon laws as they relate to Arizona and leased cars?
Unread 10-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #45
VinnieTheFish
2014 WK 

Spoke with the Chrysler case manager and now the issue is being transferred to another dealership. Taking it to Power Dodge in Phoenix which is where I should have taken it the first time & where I should have bought my Jeep. The only reason I didn't buy from them was they didn't have the color the wife wanted in stock.

Found this too which goes over the basics of troubleshooting an engine misfire. Really if I didn't have this warranty issue already opened I would have just troubleshooted this myself.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/misfire.htm

Man I miss dealing with Audi. Sure their oil changes/maintenance was expensive but we never dealt with anything close to this in terms of customer service.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.