Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2012 vs 2014 Model Jeep GC Limited

812 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  ColdCase 
#1 ·
Hello, I am in the market for a newer Jeep GC. I currently have a 2010 Jeep GC Laredo with 3.7L V6 and Quadra Trac I. I found a decent price on a 2012 Jeep GC Limited Hemi V8, with low miles for the year. I would prefer the 2014+ body style with the Hemi but, unfortunately later model years the price goes up significantly.

I have found a few 2014 V6 Grand Cherokees limited's in my price range. So I am debating between the power of the Hemi with similar options, just the older nav and entertainment system. Versus the Newer GC, with the updated entertainment system and facia. My question is, besides updated front and rear facia's and upgraded entertainment system, were there any real significant upgrades mechanically between the years?

The price is right on the 2012 GC but the 2014 looks a lot cleaner. Both are limited with sunroof, nav, back up camera leather etc. Just curious what your opinions would be. Thank you.

#2 ·
jeep = offroad- mud - tool - NOT-
"Updated front and rear facia's and upgraded entertainment system,"
"power of the Hemi"
"sunroof, nav, back up camera leather etc"

thats the hello kitty option.

#6 ·
I was initially looking for a 12 or 13 hemi but after driving a 14 V6 with 8 speed and quadra trac transfer case, I was sold, for the size the Jeep really gets up and goes, gets good mileage (I have been averaging about 25 mpg with 50/50 highway / city driving). I picked up a pretty basic laredo with as few of options as possible because I don't like, want or need all the tech stuff these new Jeeps have. My only issue so far and it is not the Jeeps fault, is this thing is HUGE compared to my 97 XJ, and even after a month of driving it, I am still not 100% comfortable with it, it is literally as big as my older K10 Chevy short bed truck

#7 ·
I plan on test driving both. I am leaning towards the 2014 for the 8 speed auto and better looks, plus better resale when the time comes. For work, I drive a 2016 Ford PI Explorer, it has 302 horse and does fairly well at getting up to speed. I am hoping the 3.6 L Jeep is the same. However, I like the grunt of the V8. The 2012 I feel is already dated with the 6spd and the old Nav. Has there been any significant problems with the older 6spd auto? My 2010 GC has the same Nav as the 2012 and it's awful. I just use my phone half the time. My wife has a 2013 Ford Fusion and the Nav is light-years ahead of a Jeep of the same year.

#8 ·
As already stated, the electronics and the transmission are the biggest difference. The V6 is sufficient for most applications. For me personally, the new radio is the big appeal, but I'm happy with my 2013 Altitude with the 5.7l. I definitely don't need the 5.7, but I do enjoy it. I previously had a 2012 with the v6, and it was sufficient, but not as fun.

#9 ·
The V6 is right around 293 hp, so really close to your DD.

I have the V6 and the 8 Speed, it goes really well. I liked the hemi but just couldn't spend the extra $$$ for it with my use case.

I know the Pentastar too, my JK has one and it's been a super reliable engine.

#10 ·
The V6 w/ 8spd offers very decent performance. Just be sure that the update to the trans was complete and that your build date matches those that had symptoms of early trans problems.

Early 14 V6s were plagued with tranny concerns, but FCA worked fast to fix them. V8s and EcoDiesels did not have these issues due to their Germany-sourced ZF trans.

Other than that: BUY A WARRANTY! Not a scare tactic, but Jeeps with options have nearly the same luxury as full-on lux brands, and just like those, issues can come up.

Unless you tow a lot or like the shifting of the older trans/V8 combo(many of us do), the V6 is a solid choice as well

#12 ·
The older 545RE has been around since 1999 or so, and has been proven to be reliable. Some prefer how it works over the 8speed with the V8, especially from a dead stop, not a lot of time spent shifting around finding the right close ratio gear.

The old Mercedes NAG that was mated to the V6 (and SRT V8) was reliable and strong but not all that much fun. If you are buying a V6, get one with the 8speed. If you are buying a V8 and intend to do a lot of towing, get the 8speed, otherwise its six one way half dozen the other. Test drive, buy the one you like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.