2012 Transmission problems - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2012 Transmission problems

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Building a Bumper?

Unread 04-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #91
VAjpSF

I posted in Feb that I had been to my dealer for this problem on my brand new 2012 GC. I've since been back again, at which time the service tech indicated he felt the issue and that he reset the codes again. However, the service mgr stated the problem WILL happen again and when it does, for me to document at what mileage it occurred and to bring it back so they could check the codes again. It happened again within two weeks so I brought it back and as of today, they have updated the PCM software and claim they cannot replicate the fishbite.

I LOVE this vehicle except for this nagging issue. What I find most irritating, and it's been similarly posted here, is that the Service Mgr told me in his 8 years at Jeep, he's never encountered this type of problem and that they've never rec'd any service notices of this problem from the mfg. Seriously??? Guess I bought the one JGC whose engine/tranny was built on a Saturday by the Friday-night-hungover shift. At least the service mgr has elevated the issue to Chrysler and they are aware of the issue.

If anyone has any suggestions, love to hear them. Will let you know if the issue reappears.

VAjpSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #92
ButchLathan

Be a squeeking wheel

Complain in writing. Look in the manual for the address. Also see what your state's Lemon Law requires and write them initial letter of notification. Certified, return receipt in both cases. Quote chapter and cerse in your letters. Include who told you what. You don't have to actually sue, yet. That got me a 100,000 warranty, but still no fix. That's not a high priority for Chrysler. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAjpSF View Post
I posted in Feb that I had been to my dealer for this problem on my brand new 2012 GC. I've since been back again, at which time the service tech indicated he felt the issue and that he reset the codes again. However, the service mgr stated the problem WILL happen again and when it does, for me to document at what mileage it occurred and to bring it back so they could check the codes again. It happened again within two weeks so I brought it back and as of today, they have updated the PCM software and claim they cannot replicate the fishbite.

I LOVE this vehicle except for this nagging issue. What I find most irritating, and it's been similarly posted here, is that the Service Mgr told me in his 8 years at Jeep, he's never encountered this type of problem and that they've never rec'd any service notices of this problem from the mfg. Seriously??? Guess I bought the one JGC whose engine/tranny was built on a Saturday by the Friday-night-hungover shift. At least the service mgr has elevated the issue to Chrysler and they are aware of the issue.

If anyone has any suggestions, love to hear them. Will let you know if the issue reappears.
ButchLathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #93
tdbmd

After reading all 7 pages of this thread, I am concerned as I have been considering a new 2014 GC with the 8 sp tranny, but now am wondering if it is going to have issues that are not fixable as well?
tdbmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2013, 11:33 PM   #94
Ungerer

I have the v6 and have had not one problem with the box .And have put over 50000 km on the jeep . And we do a lot of high way driving and it's great
Ungerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 06:13 AM   #95
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdbmd View Post
After reading all 7 pages of this thread, I am concerned as I have been considering a new 2014 GC with the 8 sp tranny, but now am wondering if it is going to have issues that are not fixable as well?
Unfortunately some guys are faced with this problem, but keep an open mind & look at the big picture. The majority of Jeep owners don't have it, so the odds are you won't either. The WK2 is very popular & they sell a lot of them for good reason. Plain & simple, it's a great vehicle.
I bought my first Jeep last Dec. & like you, was a bit hesitant after coming here & reading about problems owners were having. And I was never a big fan of Chrysler vehicles, but always liked the G C. But I know if you go to any car forum, you'll see the same thing. So I looked at the big picture & after test driving a few, (V6 & V8) pulled the trigger on a Laredo X.
I couldn't be happier with it & knock on wood, have not encountered any issues at all. I love driving this vehicle....
As for the new 8 sp tranny, it is new this year in the WK2, so there may or may not be some bugs that have to be worked out yet. That can happen with anything in first year of production. If you're not comfortable with that & can wait, hold off 6 months or a year to get a clearer picture on it. Personally, I wouldn't let that stop me from buying if I otherwise really liked a vehicle.
Bottom line, if you like the Jeep enough, don't let some of the negative threads keep you from getting one. I'm confident in saying you won't regret it.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 07:20 AM   #96
brn2skifst
2012 WK 

Its not a transmission problem, it seems to be a software problem with the torque converter management. Since they all use the same software (5.7 2011-2013) It would suffice to say they all have it. Most do not notice it. If you travel in hilly areas it is more evident. If you test drive one get it up to highway speeds (50-75) and take it up a few hills. I have noticed it goes away by driving it in 5th or 6th. I don't believe it is a reliability issue as they have given some of us lifetime powertrain warranties to make us stop complaining (and cash). Why would Chrysler basically skip a model year (2013) if they did not see problems on the horizon? I love the vehicle otherwise.
Volant CAI
brn2skifst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 08:06 AM   #97
sbeltz
2011 XJ Cherokee 

I agree it must be a software issue... If it were mechanical I would think it would happen a the time... Just annoying from time to time and my hopes is that it doesn't hurt anything long term.
sbeltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #98
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

I think Chrysler is going to ignore this issue until we form a class action law suit. The 2014 are all the rage right now. I don't think they will revisit this.
Plus there are also issues popping up on the 2014s that they will need to pay more attention to.
LibGrandCher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #99
brn2skifst
2012 WK 

Supposedly the "fix" is due in July. JEEP CARES...any updates?
Volant CAI
brn2skifst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #100
sbeltz
2011 XJ Cherokee 

Hope they include 2011 mine is doing the exact same thing
sbeltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #101
Feisty

I have the V6 (2012 Grand Jeep Cherokee) and have experienced the same problems since day 1, especially in hilly terrain and slowly accelerating...surge or fish bite (tug-pull sensation). Accelerating faster tends to cure the problem, but it makes the drive much less smooth and is beyond annoying and certainly not normal or acceptable. Supposedly new PCM software is in development it was supposed to be available by Feb. 2013, but is still not available. Local service departments claim to have no knowledge of this problem and can never duplicate the problem. I am so fed up I am ready to sell my Jeep, which I otherwise love.
Feisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #102
Trailguide
2012 WK 

On another thread its reported the fix will now be available in September 2013. In 22K miles on my hemi WK2 I noticed it once or twice. It is unable to downshift in cetain situations. But normally it's fine, but I have experienced it. It keeps getting "put off" - more than once.
Trailguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #103
dizz1979
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailguide View Post
On another thread its reported the fix will now be available in September 2013. In 22K miles on my hemi WK2 I noticed it once or twice. It is unable to downshift in cetain situations. But normally it's fine, but I have experienced it. It keeps getting "put off" - more than once.
Just add a Hemifever tune and all those problems will go away and your jeep will run so much better.....that is if you have the Hemi. Sorry V6 owners this tune is not available for yours.
dizz1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #104
Trailguide
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizz1979 View Post
Just add a Hemifever tune and all those problems will go away and your jeep will run so much better.....that is if you have the Hemi. Sorry V6 owners this tune is not available for yours.
I have the Hemi and saw the thread on it. Everyone had positive results. I have a Mustang w/supercharger and a tune. I could not ask for it to run any better. I know my dealership well but they will balk if I tune it. I would put it back, or they would, on repairs. Maybe I can get them to look away like my Ford dealership did.
Trailguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #105
LMI500
2012 WK 

My wife experienced a problem last week while driving my Jeep. The RPMs skyrocketed and the Jeep would barely move forward along with a lot of clunking. She had to pull over on the side of the road and shut it off. When she restarted it the problem was gone. I've been driving it since with no problems. But I contacted two different dealerships to get it in to look at it. Both were booked solid for a week!! But 'we will give a rental car for $30 a day for as long it takes us to fix your car'. Why don't dealerships offer loaner cars instead of me shelling out my hard earned dollars for the manufactuer's F*CKUP!!!!! It pisses me off.
LMI500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.