2012 Transmission problems - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2012 Transmission problems

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 03-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #76
superserialMBP
2012 WK 

So why is this called "fish bite"? Never have heard of that term with cars before

Unread 03-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #77
doz
2012 WK 

Because it feels kind of like a fish tugging on a fishing line.
doz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 06:47 AM   #78
JeepCares

STAR Case referenced in post #75 above:

Case Number: S1118000038
Release Date: 02/21/2013
Symptom/Vehicle Issue:
Surge Or FishBite (Tug-Pull Sensation) Sometimes Felt On Smooth Roads Between 40 - 80 MPH Accelerating
Discussion:
Some customers may voice a concern that there is a Surge or Tugging (tug) or even a Fish-bite like condition that they are experiencing. These customers typically complain under specific conditions (Transmission in 4th or 5th gear with the torque converter locked, vehicle accelerating with the engine under load, and vehicle speed between 40 and 80 MPH.
New PCM Software is in development as is tentatively timed to be available by July, 2013. This Software will be applicable for 2011, 2012 and 2013 Model Year Vehicles.
Recommend that these Customers use 89 Octane as their fuel. This condition is significantly reduced with 89 octane fuel.
The Owner Manual does recommend 89 Octane fuel for best performance.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #79
lionel
2012 WK 

its just another hiccup on the WK Jeep Grand Cherry i find that when it is in Sport mode and you go to take off its as if the engine has cut out then you get the power surge or you might have that fish on the line .The problem is with these so called Jeep technicans with their comment theyt are all the same that is just utter crap it is to my way of thinking they are not up to the technical demand of these vehicles i agree with the thread is is disgusting that Jeep can put into the market place such low quality .Their attitude is you will go away .
lionel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #80
doz
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel View Post
its just another hiccup on the WK Jeep Grand Cherry i find that when it is in Sport mode and you go to take off its as if the engine has cut out then you get the power surge or you might have that fish on the line .The problem is with these so called Jeep technicans with their comment theyt are all the same that is just utter crap it is to my way of thinking they are not up to the technical demand of these vehicles i agree with the thread is is disgusting that Jeep can put into the market place such low quality .Their attitude is you will go away .
Buy a tuner. Fixes all those problems and more.
Unread 03-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #81
zr2s10
2012 WK 

Does that void the warranty? Cause I don't have "fish bite" on my v6, but I hate the way the transmission behaves. Namely the severe engine braking down hills under 45 mph or so. So maybe a tuner would be the way to go. Of course, the '13 Durango we have for a rental (due to turkey) behaves much much better! I' m gonna ask the dealer if they can flash the computer in our Jeep with the same program as the Durango.
zr2s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #82
doz
2012 WK 

Dont send your car to the dealership with the tune installed ever. If they can prove that the tune they assume you had installed did the damage then yes they can void your warranty. Ive never heard of this happening to anyone though. But yes it can.
Unread 03-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #83
zr2s10
2012 WK 

Ok, I assumed it would. I'll try to convince the dealer to do something about it then. I'd be perfectly happy if it behaved like the Durango does.
zr2s10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 07:43 AM   #84
ssmv650

IT gone its gone I sold it to someone else.

I replaced my 2012 GC 14K miles a myrid of stupid things to irratate me. It has now passed on to someone else.

bought a 2013 F150 eco... Same mileage. Same amount of seats.

Hey Jeep when you spend a little more time on Customer service I'll be back. This is not a complainers thread it is a Call for more thought on how you treat your customers you call beta testers. Just because a model sells alot does not mean it is not souring alot of people on the lack of follow up to problems.

SSMV650 out. Lost $4K but I am happy.
ssmv650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #85
engjeep
2012 WK 

Hi, I also have this problem, and I do use 89 octane. I have a 2012 JGC Limited, 5.7 Hemi. I seem to notice it a little more going up a slight grade on light throttle, I guess I would have called it a hesitation, but now I know I'm not dreaming it I'll bring it to my dealers attention.
Cheers
engjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #86
LibGrandCher
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by engjeep View Post
Hi, I also have this problem, and I do use 89 octane. I have a 2012 JGC Limited, 5.7 Hemi. I seem to notice it a little more going up a slight grade on light throttle, I guess I would have called it a hesitation, but now I know I'm not dreaming it I'll bring it to my dealers attention.
Cheers
I have complained about this on every oil change .
The dealer keeps telling its normal.
So frustrating.

I have dreams of how well my vehicle could run if this was fixed
LibGrandCher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #87
Trailguide
2012 WK 

Mine has this condition on a hill close to the house. If I go up at 45 mph it will not downshift (unless I really press the accelerator) and I get the tranny shudder. Above 55 mph this truck has no problem downshifting with just a slight pressure on the accelerator. I took it to NC and went through the mountains on 77S in WV. Ran perfect, downshifting at the perfect time. So I am pretty sure mine is related to software not hardware. My wife doesn't even feel it but I do. Other than that, this vehicle is great. I go off road, tow a camper. Thats what Jeep is for.
Trailguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #88
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

I have a Pentastar with a 5 spd and no issues so far. I would say it is a little slow to downshift but no biggee

From reading these thread this is isolated to the Hemi's? just the 6 spd or also 5 spd?
gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 05:24 AM   #89
JayB03062
2012 XJ Cherokee 

Hello group... I have a 2012 Grand Cherokee Limited V6 purchased in July 2012. My first Jeep (moved from an Audi A6 and many prior Toyota's) and I was very excited until the vehicle started exhibiting these transmission problems... I do a lot of highway driving, just over 25K miles now and it started ~1000 miles. I've brought it to the dealer and heard most of the same frustrating responses I've read here. Techs seems to be very "code" driven. If no code stored, it didn't happen and yes, I've heard the "learn" comment... But I (and you) know what we feel out on the road and its' aggravating. This is really the only complaint I have with the vehicle. This is a serious concern for me if any potential transmission damage is occurring while Jeep steps up and takes accountability for this and makes it right. I bought the "Max care" service plan because I knew I was going to put a lot of miles on it and didn't want to worry down the road... the 36K warranty will be exhausted this summer based on my driving... I never imagined I might need it so soon for a basic issue such as a transmission!

I have hope for this software update I've read about in July '13. Being a FIRST TIME Jeep owner and plunking down $48K for this vehicle, let's just say my Jeep experience is not off to a rousing start.

This is an excellent forum and I appreciate all the support and advice! Thanks...
JayB03062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #90
ButchLathan

Fish biting

Don't believe a fix is in the works. Check the postings. It's been promised for many, many months. Last October, the District Manager for Western North Carolina and East Tennessee promised me a fix was being road tested at that moment and would be installed in February, 2013. In December, "Orlando" who described himself as my "sole customer service contact" with Jeep after I complained, called to say the software update would be installed in February. (After it wasn't, "Orlando" won't return my calls beginning March 7.) And a local tech called in January to tell me the fix would be ready last month. Look what model years are affected. They did give me a 100,000 extended warranty when I escalated. But if Chrysler can't keep its word and fix it under the regular warranty, why should they fix it under the extended warranty? Anyone have experience with their state's Lemon Law?
ButchLathan is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.