2012 Transmission problems - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2012 Transmission problems

Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 02-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #61
pattberg

Considering 2012 JGC Overland Summit

All - Is this tranny concern resolved? I am seriously considering a purchase of one with 24K miles. But, if there is a tranny concern that's this problematic, I'll go elsewhere.

pattberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #62
HEMIjeep360
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlesnspam View Post

I've had some success dealing with this - i realize now that after reading the forums, this may be affect many if not most or all jeep customers but some simply are use to it or don't see it as a problem or just don't bother posting.

my way of dealing with this - when starting up your engine in the morning or after a long time away - let it sit until the rpm meter hits 1 or below - kind of like starting up your card on a cold morning - when its actually code, it takes longer but when not cold - i start up my car and literally wait less than 30seconds every morning -i find that the tug issues almost never show up when i do this and when i start it up and don't wait it out - the tug and pull rears its ugly head.

I may be wrong in describing what you guys are feeling but in my case - when i do this; the acceleration is smooth and the rpm revs up smoothly; when i don't do this - the rpm meter goes up to 3 more constantly in the early gears and stays there and i find it harder to cruise and must step on the gas pedal more or harder.
This has no bearing on it, period. Until Jeep addresses the software/torque converter issue, it will constantly be plagued with it.

Another thing, i absolutely am disgusted with the CLUNK when starting out from a stop! When you give it gas, there's a delay then a clunk when it decided to finally go......it's like there's a bowling ball in the tranny and it slides to the rear as you start to accelerate.
Mine is a 2012 and had 23 miles on it. Currently has 17,000 on it.

????
HEMIjeep360 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #63
VAjpSF

Does anyone have an update to this issue? I just purchased a 2013 JGC Ltd and with less than 2000 miles this began to happen. I had the dealership check it out and they told me they reset the "stored codes" and that I should not have the issue any longer. However, while it is less prevalent, I do still have fishbiting.

Love to know if/when Chrysler solves this problem.
VAjpSF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #64
GGLENN
2012 XJ Cherokee 

Well folks/JGC owners like me, it is rounding to the end of February and still no update to fix the fish bite. I have to tell jeep cares is a bunch of crap. Never in my 47 years of life have I felt like I got the golden rod deal like this one. Jeep cares -will this ever be fixed ?- I really have no hope based on how this was handled by Chry Corp. I think everyone needs to start making more noise to your dealership service managers and keep telling your local congress men. Let them read and hear our voices. This is not ok to screw so many JGC owners that have paid hard earned money.
GGLENN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 09:04 AM   #65
JeepCares

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGLENN View Post
Jeep cares -will this ever be fixed ?
Engineering keeps saying they are have a fix, but the release date for the fix keeps getting pushed back.
Unread 02-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #66
MickinNY
2013 WK 

Seeing this thread was started 6-1-12, this certainly isn't making Chrysler look good with promises of a fix that still hasn't come.
I wonder what the % of V8 GCs out there are having this issue. And why are they having the issue when others with the same vehicle, same transmission, same computer programming are not? Strange.
Hope this gets resolved soon for everyone.
MickinNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #67
ssmv650

mine does it. horribly. must be the code is not writtne in italian. most italian cars have charcter ;-( My ducati went through electronics like peanut butter sandwiches

my 2012 goes away this month.
ssmv650 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #68
chobart

Took my 2012 JGC with Hemi to the dealer yesterday. The service technician agreed that he felt the fishbite but described it as normal. When i requested they notify the regional service manager I was met with resistance and suggested that I call Chrysler. They stated that there was a lot of chatter on the forums but that you can't believe everything you read. Great customer service. Thanks Conway, SC Jeep.
chobart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #69
Stratcat70
2014 WK 

Odd, that yesterday I just received a recall notice on our 2011 Town and Country to reprogram the PCM for transmission shift improvements. Hopefully, the Jeep fix isn't far off.
Stratcat70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #70
rnmst

I had a 2011 gc overland hemi 4x4, did the same fish bite crap. I traded it in on a 2012 gc overland hemi 4x4, same thing. I,ve gotten the same speal from its normal to the fix in feb. It still does it with no fix available. I put a aftermarket chip on and it seemed to help some but its still there. Let me just tell you...CHRYSLER does NOT care! Call all you want, I already have. With the number of gc they have sold and the rate they are still selling, this minor annoyance is dust on a frog's butt. No car manufacturer cares, until law suits happen or the government gets involved. I've already been down the lemon law path with a 98 dodge ram, and it was not worth it. I hate to be negative. The only way to sting chrysler is to never buy another chrysler and convince others not to buy a chrysler. I really wanted a new wrangler in a year, never again will I buy another chrysler product.
Both of my gc knock when cold, sounds like a diesel. The 1st burned 3 qts of oil between 5000 mile oil changes. The transmissions shift horribly. All this is considered normal per chrylser. I bought the lifetime warranty with the 2012, but what good is it when they can't fix anything? This weekend in the ga mtns, driving uphill maybe 1/2 mile, something was overheating or burning. I could not see any smoke but it smelled similar to burnt brakes, I did say I was going uphill, not down, so it was'nt the brakes. Twice, it did this. ???? I've already lost $1000's with the trade in, taxes, and interest so I'm stuck with this huge disappointment.
rnmst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #71
chobart

So I reported the "Fishbite" issue directly as recommended by the dealer. Chrysler has been in contact with me and stated that they would
contact the dealer. I reiterated my understanding of the issue and the need for a software update. I then questioned why I would need to continue with the dealer when the dealer has no ability to apply a software update that has not been released. I requested information on the software update, my options on utilizing SC lemon law and the three visit rule, and offered the option of a lifetime warranty for the drivetrain to easy my concern of any damage this situation is causing. I will keep you updated.
Unread 03-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #72
brn2skifst
2012 WK 

Go through the lemon law process. By the time you get a court date an attorney working for Chrysler should contact you. Make sure you have all your documentation and are very well versed on what the problem is with the torque converter software. There are enough posts on here alone for a Phd on the subject. If you like the vehicle and can live with manually shiifting to 5th or 6th or driving in tow/haul and can wait for the TSB, then tell them you want a cash settlement for your troubles plus the lifetime power train warranty. If they don't accept this (they will) then give the vehicle back through your lemon law hearing. You should win it with good documentation.
brn2skifst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #73
chobart

Thank you so much. I appreciate the help.
Unread 03-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #74
TAWS600

Mine goes away when I put it in snow mode. I only get a slight fish bite on acceleration and although I wish it didn't do it, I can live with it. I noticed during the past few snows that in snow mode it doesn't do it. Probably something to do with starting in 2nd gear or something maybe.
TAWS600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #75
chobart

I met with the service manager from Conway Jeep today and had a much better experience. The service manager acknowledged my issue during our test drive. We also drove a 2013 and it has the same issue. Upon return to the dealership he checked the computer and there an update to the software release. Per Star case S1118000038 the software is scheduled for a
7/13 release. Hope this helps you. I think I will continue on the lemon law path.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.