2012 Transmission problems - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2012 Transmission problems

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 10-17-2012, 07:01 AM   #46
GGLENN
2012 XJ Cherokee 

The "Fish Bite"

Does anyone know what Chrysler is doing about this issue know to everyone?

GGLENN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 07:15 AM   #47
97HMCS
2012 WK 

Found this existing topic. I hope it helps.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...blems-1375712/
97HMCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 07:27 AM   #48
JeepCares

Latest info I could find:

Symptom/Vehicle Issue:
Surge Or FishBite (Tug-Pull Sensation) Sometimes Felt On Smooth Roads Between 40 - 80 MPH Accelerating
Discussion:
Some customers may voice a concern that there is a Surge or Tugging (tug) or even a Fish-bite like condition that they are experiencing. These customers typically complain under specific conditions (Transmission in 4th or 5th gear with the torque converter locked, vehicle accelerating with the throttle position 30% or greater, and vehicle speed between 40 and 80 MPH.
New PCM Software is in development as is tentatively timed to be available by February, 2013. This Software will be applicable for 2012 and 2013 Model Year Vehicles.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2012, 08:05 AM   #49
Carange334

Thanks for the update. Yeasterday was my frist day experiencing this. Was probably going 50 when I came to a farily steep hill. Truck refused to drop gears to get more TQ to make it up so started getting the "fish bite". Had to manually down shift to 4th.
Carange334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #50
dunerunner
2012 WK 

I have a two week old GC Limited with the 5.7 L Hemi and (I'm Guessing) the 68 RFE 6 speed automatic. I have noticed this issue usually when the vehicle is pulling a hill, and it doesn't matter what speed I am going, it acts like it is on the ragged edge of a downshift but the can't reach that threshold. It is annoying, to say the least. Is this trans the 68 RFE or 66 RFE?
dunerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #51
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

I'm betting it is a 65RFE. I don't think any WK2 got 66RFEs or 68RFEs, but I haven't been following all that closely.
Red WK #19, Hemi #68.. I think..
Durango Owners Club DOTY 2011
-------
"Must have been that yesterday was the day that I was born"
w1pf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #52
brn2skifst
2012 WK 

I should be getting my Lemon Law court date soon. If anyone is having this problem, I would appreciate you Emailing me directly at Brn2skifst@aol.com. There is power in numbers. Lee (JeepCares) on this forum is the only one that has given us any info at all without a run-around and it is greatly appreciated. I really hate the fact that we are either being treated like idiots or just given the "Company Line" instead of just coming out and acknowledging that there is in fact a problem. I would like to trust the vehicle I drive and not worry about what other potential problems lurk within.

CS
brn2skifst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #53
drewkk
2008 KK Liberty 

I have a 2013 JKR 4.10 rear and have been experiencing it since about 500 miles, have 2500 on it now. I can feel the "fishbite," and the lug, and can feel it shift down hard whenever I hit the break, way more than what I should feel and never felt it with any other jeeps I've driven (WJ, XJ, KJ, KK, TJ, and a WK2 with the same engine and transmission). I was always under the impression that the 4.10s were supposed to make it peppier off the line, not hesitate as I'm pulling into an intersection. Definitely annoying to drive and definitely shouldn't be "because it's a wrangler" so it's not just the CG that's having this problem..
drewkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #54
theusername

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post

Symptom/Vehicle Issue:
Surge Or FishBite (Tug-Pull Sensation) Sometimes Felt On Smooth Roads Between 40 - 80 MPH Accelerating
Discussion:
Some customers may voice a concern that there is a Surge or Tugging (tug) or even a Fish-bite like condition that they are experiencing. These customers typically complain under specific conditions (Transmission in 4th or 5th gear with the torque converter locked, vehicle accelerating with the throttle position 30% or greater, and vehicle speed between 40 and 80 MPH.
New PCM Software is in development as is tentatively timed to be available by February, 2013. This Software will be applicable for 2012 and 2013 Model Year Vehicles.
So what about 2011 owners? Are we just out of luck?
theusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #55
JeepCares

I'm not getting a good answer from anyone, but I will keep trying. It might depend on the build date. I'm also trying to get timing on when the service bulletin will actually be released.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #56
barry1me
2012 JK Wrangler 

I hope this gets settled as Im picking up my brand new 2012 hemi altitude tomorrow night.

everything below has a hyperlink to the install/review
Rubicon Express Long Arm
D30 Alloy axle shafts with Alloy U joints
D30 Powertrax no slip locker
Skid row skids engine- gas tank - radiator- steering box
Expidition one trail series rear bumper and carrier
Edge Trail jammer install/review
Bestop Trailmax Aqua seat
Bestop Super top

Before you ask about a product in the Technical forums check out the product review section!
barry1me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 04:49 AM   #57
lionel
2012 WK 

Wk

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiket View Post
Hi,

I have a brand new 2012 grand cherokee. It has started to exhibit problems with the transmission - just 1000 miles on it. Basically it shutters and will not downshift correctly. The best description is that of a fish tugging slightly on the line. This is how the transmission feels - when exhibiting the problem.

I brought to dealer, and turns out other people are complaining about the same issue. Jeep says this is normal. I have been driving for 30 years - its not normal. Jeep should be ashamed to put out such low quality.

Wondering how many people out there have similar experience.
Jeep says any problem is normal it is just a very poor piece of engineering and Quality the new JGC they do not know what to do they have a very poor customer attitude .
lionel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #58
noodlesnspam
2012 WK 

Quote:

Symptom/Vehicle Issue:
Discussion:
I've had some success dealing with this - i realize now that after reading the forums, this may be affect many if not most or all jeep customers but some simply are use to it or don't see it as a problem or just don't bother posting.

my way of dealing with this - when starting up your engine in the morning or after a long time away - let it sit until the rpm meter hits 1 or below - kind of like starting up your card on a cold morning - when its actually code, it takes longer but when not cold - i start up my car and literally wait less than 30seconds every morning -i find that the tug issues almost never show up when i do this and when i start it up and don't wait it out - the tug and pull rears its ugly head.

I may be wrong in describing what you guys are feeling but in my case - when i do this; the acceleration is smooth and the rpm revs up smoothly; when i don't do this - the rpm meter goes up to 3 more constantly in the early gears and stays there and i find it harder to cruise and must step on the gas pedal more or harder.
noodlesnspam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #59
boyvan
2012 WK 

Wk

Quote:

If it is, there is a software update coming up. Also, it is recommended to use 89 Octane.
I have 2012 Overland.....should I be using 89 Octane too? Even though I don't have the same transmission problem. I was told by my dealer that 87 Octane or regular is good.
Unread 02-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #60
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyvan View Post
I have 2012 Overland.....should I be using 89 Octane too? Even though I don't have the same transmission problem. I was told by my dealer that 87 Octane or regular is good.
If you are not having any or notice any smoothness issues, just continue using 87. Your choice, won't hurt anything.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.