2012 Transmission problems - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2012 Transmission problems

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutBlack Friday Deals !JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!

Unread 08-21-2012, 07:49 AM   #31
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparMan1990 View Post
Had a similar issue on my 2011 charger r/t...they ended up replacing something in the tranny pan area and it solved the issue...basically once i would let off the gas when giving it about 3/4 to the floor it would bog down
That is the limp in mode, when the transmission detects a fault it locks into, second or perhaps third gear, so you can safely get parked somewhere. Because the transmission is locked, it feels like there is no power. Turning the car off and then back on usually resets limp in, until another fault is detected.

Not really similar to the roll back discussion, but similar to intermittent faults in general.

Unread 09-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #32
fastdude007
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Does this sound like what you have?

There is a Surge or Tugging (tug) or even a Fishbite like condition that they are experiencing. These customers typically complain under specific conditions (Transmission in 4th or 5th gear with the torque converter locked, vehicle accelerating with the throttle position 30% or greater, and vehicle speed between 40 and 80 MPH.

If it is, there is a software update coming up. Also, it is recommended to use 89 Octane.
I use 89 octane and I find it does improve overall performance in general....
fastdude007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2012, 09:25 AM   #33
Fellows
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdude007

I use 89 octane and I find it does improve overall performance in general....
He was referring to the V8s.
Fellows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #34
brn2skifst
2012 WK 

I got a call back from Chrysler on friday directing me to go back to the dealer and have the service manager drive the vehicle again. Without saying so (of course) he acknowledged that there is a problem with them that causes this to happen and that he has no further TSB's to do to the vehicle. (Why would he state there were no further TSB's unless he realized there was a problem). I thanked him for his time and called Chrysler back. The gentleman whom I spoke with called it "Fishbite" also and said that they have written the software to minimize it but it is still going through approvals. The February date mentioned here seemed correct to him. I told him that it was a shame this was going on but I have no recourse but to try the NJ lemon law route. He understood and mentioned that the software would probably be out by the time my case was finished. I thanked him for his time and proceeded to download and fill out the Lemon Law form. If anyone needs phone numbers or more info Email me at brn2skifst@aol.com.
brn2skifst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #35
HEMIjeep360
2012 WK 

I say pursue it. I have an appointment for them to look at mine on October 1st. Same fish tug, and also when starting from a stop, the transmission starts to pull me forward then it'll clunk from in the transmission. It almost sounds and feels like a tire rolls in the cargo area and bumps the tailgate. I've checked for loose things, and feel confident its from inside the transmission. It almost feels like its slipping, them grabs and goes, with a clunk. (??)
HEMIjeep360 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #36
HEMIjeep360
2012 WK 

Well, I had my appointment today. Nothing accomplished. The tech could feel and hear the clunk and said its 'normal', as the transmission in the jeep is constantly 'learning'. He said it learns how my wife drives and then when I get in, its relearning....?? How about this for designing a vehicle: when operator presses on gas, transmission will engage without slipping and clunking. I'm not satisfied whatsoever.

The tsb that deals with clunking going from drive into neutral: he couldn't replicate it, and they won't complete the work if they don't hear it. As I was leaving, I pulled up in front of the service bay door and pushed it into N. Boom, pow. Did it as he was standing there. So then I replicated it multiple times while he was laying under the Jeep. He said its coming from the transfer case, not the tranny. He's supposed to call Chrysler and let me know something next week.

4 hours of leave from work, nothing accomplished yet.
Unread 10-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #37
yeomandroid

Arghh! That makes me mad when they make no effort!

We really need a Jeep advocate who was a direct link to Chrysler when dealerships try to pull this stunt. I've already had it happen twice already. Also, clearly there is an issue with my backup camera and they say it's like that on every Jeep they looked at. I don't think so. My wife and I noticed the camera seems to be pointing at the rear bumper and furthermore its off-angle. I was told its a point of reference. When I go back to the dealership today, I am going to look at a Jeep GC and ask to look at one or two to validate it because I honestly don't recall seeing a portion of the rear bumper. As for the clunking sounds, yes, I got told the same thing. That it's normal and the service person really didn't look at it. I live in California and we use to have a good consumer advocate group to investigate matters like lazy or crooked dealerships. We can no longer trust the Better Business Bureau because the companies purchase their good ratings, etc. I'm glad you were able to duplicate the clunking issue in front of the service person, that will be my next move.
yeomandroid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #38
Crossofiron
2011 FSJ Cherokee 

Try a software upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiket View Post
Hi,

I have a brand new 2012 grand cherokee. It has started to exhibit problems with the transmission - just 1000 miles on it. Basically it shutters and will not downshift correctly. The best description is that of a fish tugging slightly on the line. This is how the transmission feels - when exhibiting the problem.

I brought to dealer, and turns out other people are complaining about the same issue. Jeep says this is normal. I have been driving for 30 years - its not normal. Jeep should be ashamed to put out such low quality.

Wondering how many people out there have similar experience.
I had the same type of issue with the shifting. I researched and found that their was a new software available that seems to have improved the issue. Take it to your dealer and ask them to check whether your truck has the most current software.
Crossofiron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #39
HEMIjeep360
2012 WK 

They told me I had the latest software and performed a 'quick learn' on it. It still does the same thing.

Does anyone have a clue why they think the clunk is coming from the transfer case and not the tranny? It seems consistent with what others are claiming when putting the vehicle up in neutral and hear and feel the bang. Seems like the tsb would take care of it.
Unread 10-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #40
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeomandroid View Post
Also, clearly there is an issue with my backup camera and they say it's like that on every Jeep they looked at. I don't think so. My wife and I noticed the camera seems to be pointing at the rear bumper and furthermore its off-angle. I was told its a point of reference.
I have a 2011 with a 730N, and I do not see any bumper in the backup camera. Perhaps the 2012 is different. In fact when I put the trailer ball hitch into the receiver, I don't see the ball. There are green/yellow/red lines on the screen edges that give you a reference to where the bumper is. There is a nice double dashed line at the bottom of the screen that is exactly on center with the ball. Do you see a couple dashes at the bottom center of the screen? The dashes should line up exactly with the center of the bumper. The ball itself is just out of camera shot on my 2 inch drop hitch.

Once I got used to the visual clues, it sure makes short work hooking up a trailer.
Unread 10-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #41
noodlesnspam
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiket View Post
Hi,

I have a brand new 2012 grand cherokee. It has started to exhibit problems with the transmission - just 1000 miles on it. Basically it shutters and will not downshift correctly. The best description is that of a fish tugging slightly on the line. This is how the transmission feels - when exhibiting the problem.

I brought to dealer, and turns out other people are complaining about the same issue. Jeep says this is normal. I have been driving for 30 years - its not normal. Jeep should be ashamed to put out such low quality.

Wondering how many people out there have similar experience.
My answer may or may not apply but i figured it's worth giving since not everyone knows about it?

I had the same problem or at least i believe i had the same problem as you are describing; mine is a v6 pstar engine on laredo 4x2; i found out that the auto shift know when in drive mode when the display exhibits a "D" when you rest your hand on the shift knob and slightly shift it left or right, it downshifts or upshift manually and that has caused my vehicle to stall or "shutter" and the rpm cranks up to past 3, sometimes 4 and the car feels like it's not accelerating.

Once i parked and turned my car off and turned it back up and remembered to not accidentally shift the knob, I've been fine.
noodlesnspam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #42
brn2skifst
2012 WK 

NJ division of consumer affairs approved my Lemon Law application. This does not guarantee anything b ut it gets me a hearing and a decision. Thankfully I have a LOT of evidence from this Forum to present as well as a letter from an ASI certified mechanic about this problem of "fishbite". I'm not really happy at all because I really want to love this vehicle. It's absolutely gorgeous but it is so annoying to drive. NJDCA said I should have a hearing within 20 days so we shall see what happens. If enough of us complain maybe Chrysler will give us the vehicle the Hemi COULD be!
brn2skifst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #43
WK2FAN
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase

I have a 2011 with a 730N, and I do not see any bumper in the backup camera. Perhaps the 2012 is different. In fact when I put the trailer ball hitch into the receiver, I don't see the ball. There are green/yellow/red lines on the screen edges that give you a reference to where the bumper is. There is a nice double dashed line at the bottom of the screen that is exactly on center with the ball. Do you see a couple dashes at the bottom center of the screen? The dashes should line up exactly with the center of the bumper. The ball itself is just out of camera shot on my 2 inch drop hitch.

Once I got used to the visual clues, it sure makes short work hooking up a trailer.
I have a 2012 with 730N RHR and factory hitch. The bumper is at the horizontal black line, below the dashes, on the bottom of the screen. I can see my entire drawbar (3 1/4 " drop) and hitch ball and can even watch the ball go under the trailer coupler. Although I don't recommend it, one time I even drove the ball under the coupler and raised the QL out of park into normal ride height and it coupled itself.
WK2FAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #44
GGLENN
2012 XJ Cherokee 

have you received resolution yet?
GGLENN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #45
GGLENN
2012 XJ Cherokee 

FISH BITE Shifting Issue

Does anyone have any word on the fix to this issue yet - this has been going on for along time
GGLENN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.