2012 Transmission problems - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2012 Transmission problems

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #16
Penthos
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiket
Hi,

I have a brand new 2012 grand cherokee. It has started to exhibit problems with the transmission - just 1000 miles on it. Basically it shutters and will not downshift correctly. The best description is that of a fish tugging slightly on the line. This is how the transmission feels - when exhibiting the problem.

I brought to dealer, and turns out other people are complaining about the same issue. Jeep says this is normal. I have been driving for 30 years - its not normal. Jeep should be ashamed to put out such low quality.

Wondering how many people out there have similar experience.
I have a similar issue with my '11 GC v6. Numerous dealer visits and reflashings have helped but not eliminated it. The drive-by-wire, it's normal and torque converter have been the most common service tech responses. One time the service advisor said I don't know how to drive! Anyway it's a lease so I deal with it and will get something else later.

Unread 08-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #17
yeomandroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
New PCM software is in development and timing is later this year. Sorry, can't nail it down more specifically. I can post if I'm here when it becomes available. I think it has to be run by the government and get their approval, but I'm not positive.
I found the information under Grand Cherokees with the 5.7L V-8 Hemi MDS V.V.T. engine (sales code EZH.)
Hi Lee,
Is there any news to the PCM update? I have a Hemi 4x4 Overland Summit and its making some interesting clanks when shifting. Its actually quite embarrassing with this $50k vehicle being heard having tranny issues in a parking garage in Santa Barbara with a bunch of Range Rovers. I still love my Jeep but it would be nice to have it working properly.
yeomandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #18
JeepCares

You might be talking about a "Noise Heard When Shifting the Transmission From Drive to Neutral."
There is a Service Bulletin Number 21-010-12. It involves the 2011 - 2012 WK Grand Cherokee and W2 Grand Cherokee (International)
2011 - 2012 W2 Grand Cherokee (International) equipped with RFE transmissions only (Sales Codes DFP, DG7, DGQ, or DG1).
The repair involves installing a revised separator plate into the transmission valve body.

There was an update earlier this week on the "fishbite" condition mentioned in Post #2 above. It's available to dealers in TechCONNECT (where they access Chrysler service information via computer.)
(Please don't shoot the messenger!)
This is all it says now about the software: "New PCM Software is in development as is tentatively timed to be available by February, 2013. This Software will be applicable for 2012 and 2013 Model Year Vehicles."
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #19
Altitude1
2012 FSJ Cherokee 

I just recently bought a Jeep 2012 Grand Cherokee Altitude and when I stop on
a small hill my Jeep will roll backwards. This is Dangerous and should not happen.
This happens most of the time. I have informed the Jeep Dealer Service and the
Service Rep said it will have to be with a Software update in the Future and if it
gets worse to bring in. It appears there is a Transmission lock that is suppose to work
and keep the Suv in Drive position not become neutral and roll back wards. This should be
a Safety Recall by Jeep .
Altitude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #20
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post but there is no hill hold lock on these transmissions that will keep the Jeep from rolling backward on a hill. Few cars have them. You need to keep your feet on the brake to keep from rolling. There is no safety issue as you should have been taught that in driver's training. Its not a neutral thing but the way a torque converter works.

Some WK2s, maybe all, have a brake hold feature that if you are stopped and have the brake applied, it will keep the brake applied for a second so you have time to move your foot from the brake to the gas pedals before the WK rolls.

Unless there's a fault in the brake hold, there is not going to be a software patch.... wonder why the dealer told you that. Is yours slipping out of drive? Do you have a V6 or a V8?

Maybe I'm missing something here.
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #21
BobsWK2
2014 WK 

In case you didn't know, Hill Start Assist will only work on a grade of 6% or more.
BobsWK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #22
HEMIjeep360
2012 WK 

Angry

I have the same issues, feels like the tranny is tugging and shuttering. Currently sitting at 340 miles. I wish they had something come out sooner than February for this. By the time February rolls around, I'll have several thousand miles on it, and like said before, it CAN'T be good to keep driving it that way.

I also need to get the clunk fixed with the new plate in the valvetrain body, it really bangs when going from N to D.
HEMIjeep360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #23
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsWK2 View Post
In case you didn't know, Hill Start Assist will only work on a grade of 6% or more.
Thanks, I thought the grade was only sensed by the hill decent controller. By the way, the Hill Start thing can be turned on and off in one of the EVIC settings.
Unread 08-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #24
Altitude1
2012 FSJ Cherokee 

My Grand Cherokee is a V6 automatic. After 2 seconds on any hill the Suv will start rolling backwards
if I let my foot off the brake.I have never had any of my other vehicles ever do that. I am
just curious to see if this the way the Suv was engineered? or if it needs a part or software to
correct this type of motion.
Altitude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #25
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

No that's normal for Mercedes, Chrysler and most transmissions. The brake holds it for about 2 seconds then releases. You should always have your foot on the brake when stopped regardless (for safety). There are some that have sprag clutch features and gizmos, but I've been driving near 50 years and have never driven an auto trans that didn't roll back on hills (unless the idle was set too high). Maybe I've lived a sheltered life ?...
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #26
HEMIjeep360
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase
No that's normal for Mercedes, Chrysler and most transmissions. The brake holds it for about 2 seconds then releases. You should always have your foot on the brake when stopped regardless (for safety). There are some that have sprag clutch features and gizmos, but I've been driving near 50 years and have never driven an auto trans that didn't roll back on hills (unless the idle was set too high). Maybe I've lived a sheltered life ?...
I agree.....almost all will roll backwards depending on the grade.

I just tried mine out in my driveway in 4lo with hill decent control on, and it holds like my foot is on the brake. My driveway is STEEP. It doesn't roll back at all. When in auto mode it'll roll backwards.
Unread 08-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #27
w1pf
Who, me?

2007 WK 

I. Don't. Get. It.

You want to be stopped, you apply the brake.

You want to go, you press the accelerator.

There is a small time between the brake and the accelerator when starting, and I guess it is interesting to have some assist frammitz to help incompetent drivers deal with that half-second, though motorists have managed to do OK on their own for the past century or so - even with a manual transmission with that extra pedal to deal with.

The assist frammitz is not there so you can kick back and savor the aroma of your latte or catch up on facebook while stopped on an incline. Use the "P" selection on the transmission for that, or better yet don't even do it while behind the wheel.

Sorry for the rant, but for heaven's sake you are the DRIVER..

...tom
Red WK #19, Hemi #68.. I think..
Durango Owners Club DOTY 2011
-------
"Must have been that yesterday was the day that I was born"
w1pf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #28
HEMIjeep360
2012 WK 

^ YUP, what he said.
Unread 08-21-2012, 01:45 AM   #29
MoparMan1990
2000 WJ 

Had a similar issue on my 2011 charger r/t...they ended up replacing something in the tranny pan area and it solved the issue...basically once i would let off the gas when giving it about 3/4 to the floor it would bog down(its an r/t hemi of course ill get on it sometimes) and the check engine light would come on and wouldn't shift at all.... I had to pull over put it in park then into drive to get it to move...But Chrysler was very help full and said they would actually send a tech from Detroit to take a look If they couldn't find the issue... I was very happy with the care they took to get it fixed like it was there own car and didn't feed me any BS
MoparMan1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 01:48 AM   #30
MoparMan1990
2000 WJ 

Forgot to add that they flashed it twice and it didn't work. But it only happened twice within like 1500 miles the third time they took the tranny pan off and replaces something I do not remember what it was and don't want to go down to the underground garage and look for the paper lol
MoparMan1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.