2012 Transmission problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2012 Transmission problems

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-31-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
smiket
2012 XJ Cherokee 

2012 Transmission problems

Hi,

I have a brand new 2012 grand cherokee. It has started to exhibit problems with the transmission - just 1000 miles on it. Basically it shutters and will not downshift correctly. The best description is that of a fish tugging slightly on the line. This is how the transmission feels - when exhibiting the problem.

I brought to dealer, and turns out other people are complaining about the same issue. Jeep says this is normal. I have been driving for 30 years - its not normal. Jeep should be ashamed to put out such low quality.

Wondering how many people out there have similar experience.

smiket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
JeepCares

Does this sound like what you have?

There is a Surge or Tugging (tug) or even a Fishbite like condition that they are experiencing. These customers typically complain under specific conditions (Transmission in 4th or 5th gear with the torque converter locked, vehicle accelerating with the throttle position 30% or greater, and vehicle speed between 40 and 80 MPH.

If it is, there is a software update coming up. Also, it is recommended to use 89 Octane.
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
xjrguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Does this sound like what you have?

There is a Surge or Tugging (tug) or even a Fishbite like condition that they are experiencing. These customers typically complain under specific conditions (Transmission in 4th or 5th gear with the torque converter locked, vehicle accelerating with the throttle position 30% or greater, and vehicle speed between 40 and 80 MPH.

If it is, there is a software update coming up. Also, it is recommended to use 89 Octane.
Is this update for the trans in the V6 or V8 equipped WK2?

Thx
xjrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
padgett
2012 WK 

Mixed messages: said 89 octane so is talking about a Hemi but did not mention 6th so may be referring to either a 2011 Hemi or the V6 (original poster said 2012).

My PentaStar/5 speed is working just fine.

ps the dealer's mantra is "That's Normal".

One of these is a turbo diesel.
Unread 06-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
SixZeroFour
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjrguy View Post
Is this update for the trans in the V6 or V8 equipped WK2?

Thx
Pretty sure that this is for the V8 only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
This is excellent news! Any idea on how long until the updates hits dealers?
SixZeroFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 05:54 AM   #6
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgett View Post
Mixed messages: said 89 octane so is talking about a Hemi but did not mention 6th so may be referring to either a 2011 Hemi or the

]
A difference in language/terms here perhaps. 4th and5th gears to jeep engineers and techs are the two overdrive gears. There's is 1, 2, 2', 3, 4 ( overdrive 1), and 5 (overdrive 2) in all years of the WK2 V8. All years of this transmission model, going back to about Y2000, have six forward gear ratios. The computer program that controls the transmission has changed a bit over the years, however.
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
smiket
2012 XJ Cherokee 

JeepCares -
Yes that is exactly what the ticket says from my local dealer. How do I find out when the software update is available? I'm concerned that in the interim, the mechanical problems may be causing the transmission / motor to fight each other and ultimately cause a worse problem, internal forces opposing each other causing wear & tear (or perhaps worse).
I am using 89 octane, and its a hemi V8. I would hope that Jeep has a sense of urgency in this regard, to show they truly care for customers who place such a large investment in in their product. Had I experienced this problem during the test drive I would not have spent $43,000 dollars on this vehicle.
Software update aside - its shameful that the vehicle would be released in such a condition. Words escape me.
Unread 06-03-2012, 05:11 AM   #8
wes66vette

I am experiencing the same problem, dealer didn't believe me...took the tech on a test drive (had a rattling noise coming from the drivers A-pillar as well)...I am just as frustrated as smiket with this. I have a 2012 GC Limited w/5.7 Hemi. The comment I got re: transmission, "all the test values are normal, that is the way it should run"...I am pretty sure Jeep engineers didn't design a hesitation into the drivetrain...

JeepCares-is this going to be a "if you come in complaining, we will fix it" or a TSB notification?
wes66vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
Steve36
2011 WK 

Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to share that I have the same problem with the transmission. This is my first jeep and judging by this fact it will be my last unless they can correct this fault. I have had the service department look at it and they say that all of them drive this way.
Please let me know when this "software fix" is coming out as I will be first in line to get it into my jeep.
Steve36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #10
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Although it may be annoying, the WK2 drivetrain has some harshness and will never be a soft as a car based SUV.
ColdCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
camaro307
2011 WK 

Getting a TSB update at the dealership is like pulling teeth- at least for me. They always ask why is there a problem? They are reluctant to check for updates even with an appointment to do so.
I will continue to bring it in for those TSB updates while it is still covered in my warranty- otherwise they charge around $120.00.
camaro307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #12
LADEITZ
2012 WK 

I have a 12 GC 4x4 V8 Hemi, This is my first Jeep. My transmission was doing that as well. I have under 400 miles on it. Sometimes it feels like there is excessive vibrating in the engine. I even tried switching it from Auto to Sport and even the tiptronic mode to see if it would change the way it felt when I accelerated or decelerated. Tiptronic was the smoothest way to drive it. but i shouldn't have to drive it that way, unless I wanted complete control of shifting gears. In auto, No Luck, I will have to check on the TSB updates with the dealer, as suggested.
LADEITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #13
smiket
2012 XJ Cherokee 

This is not harshness, as compared to a car transmission. Its problematic, plain and simple. I always wanted a Jeep - now I feel like I wasted my money. I will not accept that the transmission is 'supposed to work this way'.
Insulting...
Unread 06-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #14
Steve36
2011 WK 

Couldnt agree more Smiket.
Lets hope they can work something out with the software update.
I am still floored by the fact that they can let a product out to the consumer with this known flaw.
Unreal.........
Steve36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #15
JeepCares

New PCM software is in development and timing is later this year. Sorry, can't nail it down more specifically. I can post if I'm here when it becomes available. I think it has to be run by the government and get their approval, but I'm not positive.
I found the information under Grand Cherokees with the 5.7L V-8 Hemi MDS V.V.T. engine (sales code EZH.)
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.