2012 Overland Hemi Cracked Windshield - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2012 Overland Hemi Cracked Windshield

10,500 Lb Winch Rugged Ridge1987-1990 Jeep Wrangler Engine Oil Pan for L6 4.2LBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 04-29-2012, 03:25 AM   #1
pschofie
2012 WK 

2012 Overland Hemi Cracked Windshield

I everyone, I was washing my Overland today, there is a huge circular crack in the windshield (windscreen to us Aussies) that runs on the right hand side of the mirror/rain sensing wipers/ auto high beam module. I don't recall any rocks hitting it, and I did not see it when I last drove it on Tuesday, it's been in the garage ever since and I only got it out to wash it today.

The crack ends at the very top of the windshield up at the roof line where the glass ends.

I'm going to call the dealer in the morning, it's very strange.

There are no signs of any impact points at all.

The car was services on Tuesday which is when I last drove it, will post some pictures tomorrow.

Paul

pschofie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
bowlzilla

Hopefully you have $0 deductible glass.
bowlzilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
jgc4ever
2012 WK 

Someone had a similar crack starting just above the top edge with no evidence of a rock chip. They took it to the dealer who took pictures for Jeep/Chrysler and it was replaced under warranty.
jgc4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
mistadobalina
2012 WK 

Good thing you specified it was a Hemi. Lol. Hemi glass > all
Tow Group
mistadobalina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
Cochon
2012 WK 

Be sure to get only a genuine Jeep replacement, not aftermarket, especially as the automatic wipers may not work otherwise.
Cochon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
Richard338
2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgc4ever View Post
Someone had a similar crack starting just above the top edge with no evidence of a rock chip. They took it to the dealer who took pictures for Jeep/Chrysler and it was replaced under warranty.
Yes, I did. My dealer had to turn it in to Jeep to approve or not, they did and the dealer replaced it. I just ask and and pointed out it appeared to start at the edge of the glass from a chip or flaw...
Richard338 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pschofie
I everyone, I was washing my Overland today, there is a huge circular crack in the windshield (windscreen to us Aussies) that runs on the right hand side of the mirror/rain sensing wipers/ auto high beam module. I don't recall any rocks hitting it, and I did not see it when I last drove it on Tuesday, it's been in the garage ever since and I only got it out to wash it today.

The crack ends at the very top of the windshield up at the roof line where the glass ends.

The car was services on Tuesday which is when I last drove it, will post some pictures tomorrow.

Paul
Off topic, but since you are in Aus, would you mind terribly strolling over and punching the guy from the "chipped up beast" thread in his face. Right in the face please! Thanks!
Unread 04-30-2012, 04:00 AM   #8
pschofie
2012 WK 

Oh I wish I could, it appears he is somewhere up in Sydney, I am down near Canberra several hundred KM away, he is very painful isn't he!

I'm coming over to the USA in June to get lots if extras for my Jeep way too expensive to buy them here.

Just wish you guys had the wheel on our side of the car...
Unread 04-30-2012, 04:01 AM   #9
pschofie
2012 WK 

Here are the pictures of the crack, sorry about the quality, very hard to photograph glass as it turns out.
image-382844410.jpg   image-337236717.jpg   image-2499994989.jpg  
Unread 04-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #10
Hockey37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochon View Post
Be sure to get only a genuine Jeep replacement, not aftermarket, especially as the automatic wipers may not work otherwise.
I recently had the windshield on my 2012 Overland Summit replaced by Safelite due to a rock cracking my windshield. Safelite is who my insurance company uses for glass repair.

The new windshield is an aftermarket, not Jeep OEM. The rainsense function works fine with the aftermarket. I did still take it in to the dealer to get recalibrated though, which is what Jeep recommends if a windshield is replaced and rainsense wipers are installed.
Hockey37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #11
Cochon
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pschofie View Post

Paul
Just had the same thing happen last night while in the garage, except the crack is straight from right edge to the center, and long. No hint of a chip, so it would appear to be a factory defect or excessive body flexing. Really hoping it is covered under warranty, as how can a damage claim be made if there's no damage to cause the crack?
Cochon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2012, 07:04 AM   #12
tophs
2012 WK 

Been meaning to ask this - what is the grid pattern on the windshield high up in front of the rear view mirror? What does it do?
tophs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #13
Justal13
2012 WK 

It is decorative and functions as a sun-shade band across the top of the glass. It also hides all the stuff mounted to the top of windshield (mirror, etc), and the unfinished leading edge & gap of the headliner. The strips on the sides allow the windshield installer a little wiggle room and covers the gap behind the pillar trim pieces.

And on my Mustang GT, it has a neat Pony detail.
Justal13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #14
BobsWK2
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justal13 View Post
It is decorative and functions as a sun-shade band across the top of the glass. It also hides all the stuff mounted to the top of windshield (mirror, etc), and the unfinished leading edge & gap of the headliner. The strips on the sides allow the windshield installer a little wiggle room and covers the gap behind the pillar trim pieces.

And on my Mustang GT, it has a neat Pony detail.
I wish they got rid of the dot matrix nonsense and instead install the darker band of tint (eyebrow) across the entire windshield like they used to put on the WJ's windshield. As it is now, the WK2 just has a cheap look when viewed from the front.

But, hardly anyone is using the eyebrow anymore.
BobsWK2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 02:24 AM   #15
pschofie
2012 WK 

Well good news they are replacing the windscreen under warranty, fantastic service from Jeep here in Australia.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.