2012 Overland 4 Wheeling - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK2 Grand Cherokee Forum > 2012 Overland 4 Wheeling

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Reply
Unread 08-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
Greg012GCO
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Livermore, Colorado
Posts: 283
2012 Overland 4 Wheeling

Got a hankering for some high country and took the GC to Ouray. Wanted to report on how the GCO did.

'12, about 70k miles. Never had a problem with QL or anything else.

Took the road over Imogene Pass. Now, this isn't radical wheeling, but it was plenty radical for me. Lot's of shelf rock and water crossings and climbing. Was a little nerve racking for me. But the Jeep did awesome. Put it in Rock mode, 4 Low, suspension all the way up. Had no problems to speak of. I was impressed with the performance. This ain't no soccer mom wagon.

Went from Ouray all the way to Telluride. No problems. Very slow going for any vehicle. Didn't get any pictures - too much bumping around for video. But you can look up Imogene pass on Youtube and check it out.

This has been a great vehicle. Luxury and balls both. Just get rid of the stock tires. I still have the stock wheels, just more aggressive tread.

Greg012GCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
gabbagabba
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Southwest, NH
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg012GCO View Post
Got a hankering for some high country and took the GC to Ouray. Wanted to report on how the GCO did.

'12, about 70k miles. Never had a problem with QL or anything else.

Took the road over Imogene Pass. Now, this isn't radical wheeling, but it was plenty radical for me. Lot's of shelf rock and water crossings and climbing. Was a little nerve racking for me. But the Jeep did awesome. Put it in Rock mode, 4 Low, suspension all the way up. Had no problems to speak of. I was impressed with the performance. This ain't no soccer mom wagon.

Went from Ouray all the way to Telluride. No problems. Very slow going for any vehicle. Didn't get any pictures - too much bumping around for video. But you can look up Imogene pass on Youtube and check it out.

This has been a great vehicle. Luxury and balls both. Just get rid of the stock tires. I still have the stock wheels, just more aggressive tread.
Did u air down?
gabbagabba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
Jackal01
Moderator
 
Jackal01's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston, Texas, Texas
Posts: 2,279
I did a similar trip last summer. I did part of Engineer Pass north of Animas Forks. Fabulous trip. I have pics in my thread below. Probably going to do more next summer when we go again.
__________________
2011 Billet JKUS

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
Greg012GCO
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Livermore, Colorado
Posts: 283
Checked out your Colorado pics. Cool. How was Engineer Pass? Imogene was pretty hairy for me. No better place in the world to go Jeeping. Checked out the rental place in Ouray. They rent Wranglers and GS's. I'd like to go back before the season is over this year if I can.
Greg012GCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #5
Jackal01
Moderator
 
Jackal01's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston, Texas, Texas
Posts: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg012GCO View Post
Checked out your Colorado pics. Cool. How was Engineer Pass? Imogene was pretty hairy for me. No better place in the world to go Jeeping. Checked out the rental place in Ouray. They rent Wranglers and GS's. I'd like to go back before the season is over this year if I can.
Engineer Pass was good. It was a good starter trail for the GC since I was not sure how it handled on mountain trails before then. I wanted to do more but we couldn't with the time we didn't have for it. Next year! I have a lot of work for Alice before the trip. Working on a winch, bumper, OBA and couple other toys. I felt unprepared when we went.
__________________
2011 Billet JKUS

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 06:24 AM   #6
KickRocks
Registered User
2013 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Highland, CA
Posts: 168
Any of you do Black Bear Pass? I went through there a few years back before I had the jeep, since then I bought my overland and i'm headed back up there this fall on the way to BCOT Gunnison. Shame you didn't take pics, so awesome though there!!
KickRocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 06:40 AM   #7
Jackal01
Moderator
 
Jackal01's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston, Texas, Texas
Posts: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickRocks
Any of you do Black Bear Pass? I went through there a few years back before I had the jeep, since then I bought my overland and i'm headed back up there this fall on the way to BCOT Gunnison. Shame you didn't take pics, so awesome though there!!
I would love to do Black Bear Pass but I'm not sure if the WK2 can handle it. Any idea if it can or are lockers, higher clearance, etc needed?

Sent from my underground lair.
__________________
2011 Billet JKUS

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
Trailguide
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post

I would love to do Black Bear Pass but I'm not sure if the WK2 can handle it. Any idea if it can or are lockers, higher clearance, etc needed?

Sent from my underground lair.
I've done Black Bear Pass with my TJ. UP AND DOWN (special ride). It's not a trail that is rough or technical. It's just thode switchbacks and a narrow trail. UTUBE has some good videos. Yes you can do it in a Grand.
Trailguide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #9
Jackal01
Moderator
 
Jackal01's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston, Texas, Texas
Posts: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailguide View Post

I've done Black Bear Pass with my TJ. UP AND DOWN (special ride). It's not a trail that is rough or technical. It's just thode switchbacks and a narrow trail. UTUBE has some good videos. Yes you can do it in a Grand.
I have watched a few vids on YT mainly of Wayalife. It looks fun. I have heard both sides of the argument...must have a super modded 4x4 to make it and other have said a decent 4x4 can make it.

Sent from my underground lair.
__________________
2011 Billet JKUS

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
turbospartan
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: michigan
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post
I have watched a few vids on YT mainly of Wayalife. It looks fun. I have heard both sides of the argument...must have a super modded 4x4 to make it and other have said a decent 4x4 can make it.

Sent from my underground lair.

There is a video of a guy doing it in a Subaru, on YouTube.
turbospartan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #11
69moparman
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Centerport, PA
Posts: 184
Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread, but you guys sound like you might be able to help me. We're going to be visiting the Mt Rushmore/badlands area and Yellowstone NP in about two weeks. We're looking for some "off-road" roads to (legally) travel with the GC. The places where we won't see any Prius or Sentra's. Of course, AAA has no idea where the roads are, because they don't come up on their Mapquest. My GC is mostly stock, with a leveling kit on the front, no real skid plates other than those plastic shields from the factory. Any ideas ???

Thanks.
69moparman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #12
Jackal01
Moderator
 
Jackal01's Avatar
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Houston, Texas, Texas
Posts: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69moparman View Post
Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread, but you guys sound like you might be able to help me. We're going to be visiting the Mt Rushmore/badlands area and Yellowstone NP in about two weeks. We're looking for some "off-road" roads to (legally) travel with the GC. The places where we won't see any Prius or Sentra's. Of course, AAA has no idea where the roads are, because they don't come up on their Mapquest. My GC is mostly stock, with a leveling kit on the front, no real skid plates other than those plastic shields from the factory. Any ideas ???

Thanks.
I don't mean to come off with a cliche remark but I have always just searched the internet for roads to have fun on (google maps specifically and always legal. I condemn the use of illegal roads and illegal wheeling). I am not the least bit familiar with that area so I cannot help personally but usually in the tourist areas there is sometimes mentioning of said roads online or something else. Hopefully someone here can help but doing driving on some mildly muddy or forest roads should do you just fine with what you have. Tires DO make all the difference so make sure you have a good set.
__________________
2011 Billet JKUS

Jackal01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 05:41 AM   #13
69moparman
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Centerport, PA
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal01 View Post
I don't mean to come off with a cliche remark but I have always just searched the internet for roads to have fun on (google maps specifically and always legal. I condemn the use of illegal roads and illegal wheeling). I am not the least bit familiar with that area so I cannot help personally but usually in the tourist areas there is sometimes mentioning of said roads online or something else. Hopefully someone here can help but doing driving on some mildly muddy or forest roads should do you just fine with what you have. Tires DO make all the difference so make sure you have a good set.
Ya, I went the Google route. All that info shows is there's a road there. No mention about the condition, its rating, or if the road actually goes somewhere, has vistas for viewing America, or dead-ends in a lake, etc. (and I'm not into banjo music).
I did find a few 4x4 club websites with some pretty good information. I'll keep searching. If I don't find any real info, I'll just drive the Challenger instead, and get better fuel economy as a bonus.
69moparman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #14
FranksWK
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: ROCKY POINT, NY
Posts: 190
^isnt that the whole point of "4 wheeling".... Not knowing what the road will be ahead???
FranksWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #15
turbospartan
Registered User
2012 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: michigan
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69moparman View Post
Ya, I went the Google route. All that info shows is there's a road there. No mention about the condition, its rating, or if the road actually goes somewhere, has vistas for viewing America, or dead-ends in a lake, etc. (and I'm not into banjo music).
I did find a few 4x4 club websites with some pretty good information. I'll keep searching. If I don't find any real info, I'll just drive the Challenger instead, and get better fuel economy as a bonus.
http://www.allblackhills.com/summer_...tv_offroad.php

http://www.bh4wheelers.com/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/va...dvise-1219685/
turbospartan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.